By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Astrobot receives "universal acclaim" on Metacritic, 94

Tagged games:

Watched Arlo's AstroBot review and it's funny how similar we feel about it even though I'm a Playstation guy primarily. He's a bit more positive than me but his gripes and highlights are pretty much my own (except music which I didn't really care about, and the ones I loved are mostly from the previous games). He also had a couple of young nephews enjoying the game with him just like me and my two nieces! All 4 children are of course Nintendo kiddos (aged 5, 6, 7 and 8).

Around the Network

Just give me a Siren or a Gravity Rush-ish thing and I would be an extremely happy man. I used to value Sony first party offerings quite a lot and they have lost me in the past decade (not including their publishing efforts as I like stuff like Rise of the Ronin),

Astrobot is giving me hope.

AddRat said:

Just give me a Siren or a Gravity Rush-ish thing and I would be an extremely happy man. I used to value Sony first party offerings quite a lot and they have lost me in the past decade (not including their publishing efforts as I like stuff like Rise of the Ronin),

You'll probably love Ghost of Yotei too, then.

BraLoD said:
AddRat said:

Ghost of Tsushima was the closest I've gotten to really enjoying a new Sony-developed IP but even that kind of dropped off by the time I finished it. For reference, I really enjoyed the combat of Team Ninja's games (that are not called Ninja Gaiden 3). That's why I enjoyed RotR as well, I like it despite the switch to a more open world.

Ghost of Tsushima started well and the beauty and atmosphere carried the game for the first half. While the gameplay isn't bad or anything, I didn't feel it was interesting enough to keep my interest for the whole game.

I haven't played Rift Apart so that could be a hit with me but I was let down by the 2016 reboot compared to the originals. I love Returnal though and now that Sony owns the studio, I guess that counts towards the Sony-developed list instead of just Sony-published.

Ive played about 4 levels so far I think. I'm hoping it grabs me more as I go. So far the polish is super evident...the feel of walking on different surfaces, etc, is....better than any other game I've ever played. However so far the gameplay isnt all that exciting to me. Hopefully with more levels and powerups that turns around.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network
AddRat said:
BraLoD said:

Ghost of Tsushima was the closest I've gotten to really enjoying a new Sony-developed IP but even that kind of dropped off by the time I finished it. For reference, I really enjoyed the combat of Team Ninja's games (that are not called Ninja Gaiden 3). That's why I enjoyed RotR as well, I like it despite the switch to a more open world.

Ghost of Tsushima started well and the beauty and atmosphere carried the game for the first half. While the gameplay isn't bad or anything, I didn't feel it was interesting enough to keep my interest for the whole game.

I haven't played Rift Apart so that could be a hit with me but I was let down by the 2016 reboot compared to the originals. I love Returnal though and now that Sony owns the studio, I guess that counts towards the Sony-developed list instead of just Sony-published.

I find the combat from Tsushima to be very satiafying, even as Nioh had a more rewarding combat, Tsushima was great too.

I've only played Ninja Gaiden 2 and it was awesome, yeah.

Anyway, I really wish Sony expand Astro Bot with more content related DLCs, specially special stages centered around a specific game, and Gravity Rush would be an awesome pick. Tearaway would be a great pick for another Vita franchise themed special stage.

Would definitely pay $20 for a DLC that adds 2 special stages to each galaxy centered on PS1, 2, 3, 4, PSP and Vita franchises.

Oh, I also was a sucker and bought the digital deluxe edition just because of the Bloodbourne skin. To send sony a message to do more bloodbourne stuff. I'm sure it will work.

The game will definitely be nominated for Game of the Year.
When will the first free content be available for all players? My respect to the developers :)

I expected more draw from the game to play more. However I haven't touched it since defeating the final boss. There's no incentive to keep playing or start over. Rescue mission had me instantly play from the start again.

Great game regardless. But it would be nice if the DLC added some kinda ng+ mode like R&C games. More enemies maybe.

This hasn't grabbed me much so far. Lots of levels with no suits and with such a simplistic move set I get bored. Feels a little "paint by numbers" to me. Doesn't help that i just played WuKong and this is such a different genre.

That said, it is created beautifully and runs like a charm. I appreciate it for what it is, but it seems too "simple" for me. I dont want that to sound negative toward the game, its a me problem.