By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do Disk Drives matter?

Would you quit gaming if the industry went full digital?

Yes 22 28.21%

No 44 56.41%

Unsure 12 15.38%

Total:78
DroidKnight said:
Chrkeller said:

Personally, I think the threat of quitting is an idle threat.  And those who move to PC will probably still buy Sony games.  Moving to digital only isn't going to hurt as much as people think it will.  

They may still buy Sony games, but they won't be paying Sony to play them online,  won't be subscribed to any of the other Sony subscriptions, will wait for price drops before buying their games, and can use the peripherals of their choice.

Edit: I will never purchase a digital only console.  Ever.

Sure but Sony loses money on hardware and physical has higher overhead costs.  

Potential volume needs to be considered as well.  The ps5 has 60,000,000 users.  Steam has 150,000 000 active monthly users.  Epic has 75,000,000 active monthly users.  That is 225,000,000 versus 60,000,000.  And PC continues to grow, "despite" being digital.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - 4 days ago

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

I'm done when the next-gen Sony console rolls in. I have over a thousand games physically new and old combined and there is a lot of retro stuff I want to get into anyway. It's not just digital but I can't tolerate another generation of this industry getting so much worse with all the other shitty bad practices and inventing new ones. Next thing you know they will charge you hourly on top of the 80 bucks you paid to buy it and the whole game be a soulless AI-made pile of shit. I cannot sanction such buffoonery.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm sitting here wondering why no one has asked the elephant in the corner of the room the question that really should be asked:

Why is no one talking about Console Digital store closures?.

See there is definitely a desire to own physical media, but with digital you have pros as well, like saving on physical space, faster access, etc, but ofc both physical and digital have their cons as well.

My main and possibly biggest gripe with digital gaming is when a company's license agreement deal expires, and then we end up seeing a game being completely delisted from all storefronts online. The biggest gripe I have with digital console storefronts is that all of them operate a storefront per system, and over time they end up closing said console storefront systems, denying users the ability to even purchase those digital games down the line.

See on PC that's not really a big issue, because we have:

Steam
EGS
Origin
U(can't)Play
GoG
Battlenet
Itch.io

For PC, one storefront closing down, like say, EGS or U(can't)play wouldn't really do much of a dent, but with a console, once it's digital storefront closes that's it, you're completely denied the ability to buy games for that specific console.

I feel like if consoles truly want to adopt an all digital future, they really need to have a more unified storefront system, complete with the ability to play games from previous generations (without having to buy them again and again). If they can manage that for generations going forward, it would make it less of a hassle and more comforting to know that what you buy is largely going to be there and accessible years later.

The other issue I do see all around in general with the all digital future is that early into this era, we were more or less told over time by some venues that "it would be cheaper to produce games digitally", and that in turn held some promise for "cheaper games", and yet that completely did not happen, not in the AAA/console 1st/3rd party place, where digital prices are just as expensive, if not more than physical on their own storefronts (ho boy am I looking at you Nintendo).

If consoles could get digital CD keys from other sites on the web, then that'd at least cut down on some of the console storefront pricing a bit (like how folks on PC use key sites to bypass prices set on Steam for example).

Last edited by Chazore - 4 days ago

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

I'm sitting here wondering why no one has asked the elephant in the corner of the room the question that really should be asked:

See there is definitely a desire to own physical media, but with digital you have pros as well, like saving on physical space, faster access, etc, but ofc both physical and digital have their cons as well.

My main and possibly biggest gripe with digital gaming is when a company's license agreement deal expires, and then we end up seeing a game being completely delisted from all storefronts online. The biggest gripe I have with digital console storefronts is that all of them operate a storefront per system, and over time they end up closing said console storefront systems, denying users the ability to even purchase those digital games down the line.

Steam
EGS
Origin
U(can't)Play
GoG
Battlenet
Itch.io

For PC, one storefront closing down, like say, EGS or U(can't)play wouldn't really do much of a dent, but with a console, once it's digital storefront closes that's it, you're completely denied the ability to buy games for that specific console.

I feel like if consoles truly want to adopt an all digital future, they really need to have a more unified storefront system, complete with the ability to play games from previous generations (without having to buy them again and again). If they can manage that for generations going forward, it would make it less of a hassle and more comforting to know that what you buy is largely going to be there and accessible years later.

The other issue I do see all around in general with the all digital future is that early into this era, we were more or less told over time by some venues that "it would be cheaper to produce games digitally", and that in turn held some promise for "cheaper games", and yet that completely did not happen, not in the AAA/console 1st/3rd party place, where digital prices are just as expensive, if not more than physical on their own storefronts (ho boy am I looking at you Nintendo).

If consoles could get digital CD keys from other sites on the web, then that'd at least cut down on some of the console storefront pricing a bit (like how folks on PC use key sites to bypass prices set on Steam for example).

I've mentioned this several times over the years, 100% agree. I have also said if we ever go digital I will go PC exclusive as Steam as example isn't tied up to a fixed period in time. I can revisit games I played in the 90s and enjoy them without too much worry.

I've also said if console manufactures want us to go digital they need to give us freedom to backup our data easily (updates, bug fixes, extra purchases etc) and not tie it to the hardware it's on or a digital user ID that does not log in once online services are down.

I can understand locking it to a console to protect sales, but when a generation ends, firmware should be released that allows us full freedom of our data to be used as a retro console on any console an not locked just to yours, i.e. in case your hardware fails and you ned to replace it.

DroidKnight said:
Azzanation said:

It's starting to be the reality. I cannot see the next Xbox and Sony consoles offering disk drives. They both want to drive the digital media which is the best financial foot forward. More control, more profits, more compatibly, less investment. They all want to cut out the middleman. I feel Nintendo will be the only ones using some form of physical media next gen.

Not everyone will adopt that move.  It might appear like more profit for Xbox/Sony on paper, but they're shrinking the consumer base.  A vast chunk will choose to just not purchase Xbox and Sony consoles. Some will quit gaming all-together, others will migrate to PC gaming. Nintendo will receive some gains.  The profits only occur if they don't lose any consumers.

1) Considering majority buy digital games today, it's the minority these corps don't care about and that minority are physical owners. 

2) Why would these people migrate to PC if consoles are digital only? What do you think PCs are? 

3) Those that quit gaming over how they own a game are not true gamers.

4) Physical media makes less profit than selling a game via the 1st party platforms storefront.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

I'm done when the next-gen Sony console rolls in. I have over a thousand games physically new and old combined and there is a lot of retro stuff I want to get into anyway. It's not just digital but I can't tolerate another generation of this industry getting so much worse with all the other shitty bad practices and inventing new ones. Next thing you know they will charge you hourly on top of the 80 bucks you paid to buy it and the whole game be a soulless AI-made pile of shit. I cannot sanction such buffoonery.

You can do what feels right for you, but how many consoles do you have plugged in to play all these 1000 physical games compared to if you owned all those games on Steam?

Digital isn't a backwards step. Physical media today still requires you to download the game off a server.

Azzanation said:

This seems like a really silly thing to say. 

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Azzanation said:
DroidKnight said:

Not everyone will adopt that move.  It might appear like more profit for Xbox/Sony on paper, but they're shrinking the consumer base.  A vast chunk will choose to just not purchase Xbox and Sony consoles. Some will quit gaming all-together, others will migrate to PC gaming. Nintendo will receive some gains.  The profits only occur if they don't lose any consumers.

You're a child.

Azzanation said:
Leynos said:

Physical media today still requires you to download the game off a server.

Wrong.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Cobretti2 said:
Chazore said:

Steam
EGS
Origin
U(can't)Play
GoG
Battlenet
Itch.io

I've mentioned this several times over the years, 100% agree. I have also said if we ever go digital I will go PC exclusive as Steam as example isn't tied up to a fixed period in time. I can revisit games I played in the 90s and enjoy them without too much worry.

I've also said if console manufactures want us to go digital they need to give us freedom to backup our data easily (updates, bug fixes, extra purchases etc) and not tie it to the hardware it's on or a digital user ID that does not log in once online services are down.

I can understand locking it to a console to protect sales, but when a generation ends, firmware should be released that allows us full freedom of our data to be used as a retro console on any console an not locked just to yours, i.e. in case your hardware fails and you ned to replace it.

Steam just amazing.  One piece of hardware plays 40 years of games.

Im surprised people think physical is better at preservation.  Take Dragoon Saga.  There are a limited amount of physical copies.  Digitally, unlimited.

Maybe it is just odd luck, but I have never had a hdd fail.  Now disk drives, quite common for me.  Ps1, ps3, Xbox, Xbox 360 and 2x Dremcasts.  

I think digital is one of the best things to happen to gaming.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Cobretti2 said:

Steam just amazing.  One piece of hardware plays 40 years of games.

Im surprised people think physical is better at preservation.  Take Dragoon Saga.  There are a limited amount of physical copies.  Digitally, unlimited.

Maybe it is just odd luck, but I have never had a hdd fail.  Now disk drives, quite common for me.  Ps1, ps3, Xbox, Xbox 360 and 2x Dremcasts.  

I think digital is one of the best things to happen to gaming.  

I am all for digital if there is no DRM to locking you to an account or hardware. Once a new gen starts and you can't log in no more or the hardware fails you own a brick essentially and if you get new hardware all your digital games are lost or encrypted so they won't work on a replacement system. 

Computers on the other hand have had steam forever so I would classify that as a stable platform. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft make it hard to replay things you purchased in the past on next gen hardware.

They need to make it as easy as Steam does and not shutdown stuff so you can't redownload later or after the gen ends give me freedom to backup how I see fit with no DRM.