By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Concord is Sony's biggest failure in gaming history.

Somewhat amusingly that upcoming animated video game anthology series (from the people behind the often excellent Love, Death & Robots) for Amazon Prime apparently has a whole episode dedicated to Concord. They sure put the cart before the horse there.

Around the Network

It was never a game I was going to play, I haven't played anything Gaas. But that doesn't mean that I'm rooting against it, if its fun hopefully it finds it audience.

Machina said:

Somewhat amusingly that upcoming animated video game anthology series (from the people behind the often excellent Love, Death & Robots) for Amazon Prime apparently has a whole episode dedicated to Concord. They sure put the cart before the horse there.

It does? Boy, that is going to age poorly.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

(i) Is there precedent for Sony closing studios which deliver underperforming titles? I’m genuinely asking, I don’t think there exists such a pattern…but I could be wrong.

(ii) This is a very provocative post. “Woke crap” “Sony’s biggest failure in gaming history”. The game hasn’t even been out more than a day. Why are you throwing these accusations around when you yourself almost certainly have not played the (non-beta) release yourself? It’s not looking good, but it’s nowhere near a historic failure. It’ll likely be a humongous financial burden for Sony, but that’s all I can see for the moment.

I think everyone saw a Concord flop coming a mile away. I'm no fan of the GAAS focus Sony has been on (and there seem to be signs of them moving away from it thankfully) but I do get why publishers want GAAS games since some of them bring in big dollar amounts for many years (Fortnite, CoD, Apex, GTA, etc...). That said, the GAAS market is pretty saturated with games now, which only makes it that much harder to peel away players from these big established ones (or even the more medium-sized GAAS games).

They hit on Helldivers 2 and missed on Concord. Time will tell how the rest do.

Edit: On the "woke crap" comment, I'm not even sure what constitutes being woke. I've seen far-right nuts call practically everything "woke". I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them claim helldivers 2 was woke at some point too

Around the Network
firebush03 said:

(i) Is there precedent for Sony closing studios which deliver underperforming titles? I’m genuinely asking, I don’t think there exists such a pattern…but I could be wrong.

(ii) This is a very provocative post. “Woke crap” “Sony’s biggest failure in gaming history”. The game hasn’t even been out more than a day. Why are you throwing these accusations around when you yourself almost certainly have not played the (non-beta) release yourself? It’s not looking good, but it’s nowhere near a historic failure. It’ll likely be a humongous financial burden for Sony, but that’s all I can see for the moment.

Darwinianevolution said:
Machina said:

It does? Boy, that is going to age poorly.

Apparently so. Here's the full list:

• Pac-Man
  • Warhammer 40,000
  • Concord
  • Mega Man
  • Unreal Tournament
  • New World: Aeternum
  • Armored Core
  • Spelunky
  • Honor of Kings
  • Sifu
  • Dungeons & Dragons
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Crossfire
  • Exodus
  • PlayStation (will feature numerous PlayStation games/characters)

jvmkdg said:
firebush03 said:

Quoting Tom Warren is wild. Dude is literally a “Microsoft guru” according to his X (formerly Twitter) bio. I anticipate Steam numbers will almost certainly top 1,000 sometime today or tomorrow now that ppl are talking about it again, though it certainly is DOA (or rather, dead-on-a-few-days-after-arrival).

In any case, your response here fails to address the provocative language of your OP, and does not deny any of my assertions that you have in fact not played the game post-beta. I will respond no further for vg forums aren’t a place for argument, but I will finish this remark off by stating that the internet should not be the sole determinant in forming opinions. Might be some cases where you can get away with this, though generally it is not a successful formula.

Last edited by firebush03 - on 24 August 2024

firebush03 said:
jvmkdg said:

Quoting Tom Warren is wild. Dude is literally a “Microsoft guru” according to his X (formerly Twitter) bio. I anticipate Steam numbers will almost certainly top 1,000 sometime today or tomorrow now that ppl are talking about it again, though it certainly is DOA (or rather, dead-on-a-few-days-after-arrival).

In any case, your response here fails to address the provocative language of your OP, and does not deny any of my assertions that you have in fact not played the game post-beta. I will respond no further for vg forums aren’t a place for argument, but I will finish this remark off by stating that the internet should not be the sole determinant in forming opinions. Might be some cases where you can get away with this, though generally it is not a successful formula.

You can only be kidding, it is not possible that you are serious, numbers worse than gollum a singleplayer game, tom warren may be a fan of microsoft but that doesn't change the fact that the game is an absolute failure. The gollum studio has been closed, this game will cause a loss for sony in the region of 100 to 200 million dollars. I don't give 2 months for the studio to be stabbed and the developers fired

Yikes I knew this was going to bomb but I wasn't expecting it to bomb this hard. Seems to be doing even worse than redfall which was a disaster.