By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Concord is Sony's biggest failure in gaming history.

Renamed said:
Leynos said:

Everyone uses pronouns. It's pretty difficult to communicate identifying people without them. It's language itself.

That's why this whole pronoun debate is an excellent identifier of who paid attention in school. 

Why ought we have pronouns in character select screens?

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
IkePoR said:
Renamed said:

That's why this whole pronoun debate is an excellent identifier of who paid attention in school. 

Why not?  We often get to choose dozens of characteristics.  A name option, 50 colors of hair in 30 styles, dozens of skin tones, etc...   Does it change the game or gameplay?  

10 seconds on a character select screen negates 50+hours of gameplay?  

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

Renamed said:
IkePoR said:

Why not?  We often get to choose dozens of characteristics.  A name option, 50 colors of hair in 30 styles, dozens of skin tones, etc...   Does it change the game or gameplay?  

Must say in this case the pronouns are just to display the gender of the characters. It's literally just that. Imagine if in Pokemon instead of male and female symbols we had "he" or "she". That's it

Renamed said:
IkePoR said:

Petty theft isn't a big deal, ultimately, but it's illegal in order to discourage the behavior.  We ought to make it illegal because petty theft would be more prevalent if it wasn't.

"It's not a big deal" isn't a reason why we ought to do something.  Can you give me a reason?

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

IkePoR said:
Renamed said:

Petty theft isn't a big deal, ultimately, but it's illegal in order to discourage the behavior.  We ought to make it illegal because petty theft would be more prevalent if it wasn't.

"It's not a big deal" isn't a reason why we ought to do something.  Can you give me a reason?

Holy strawman had sex with a red herring and gave birth to a false equivalency, Batman.

If I steal your food, that's petit theft.  If I take your bill money, that petit theft.  You might miss a meal or even have your electricity turned off.  That's real world negative repercussions. But if I give you the option, the OPTION to be represented even just a little bit in a recreational distraction....

Reason?  Inclusivity.  Representation.  Validation.  Affirmation.  Maybe to have 10 seconds in the character select screen to give a person who's been shit on all their life a tiny moment of simply being seen and recognized for just existing. 

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

Around the Network
IkePoR said:
Renamed said:

The point you're trying to make is so insanely absurd. 

1.) Ignoring the blatant strawman, plenty of games involve petty theft and frankly most games involve murder. 

2.) Renamed didn't say "it's not a big deal". You're almost doubly making up a strawman argument. he asked why not. What horrible thing is it to recognize basic English societal rules that there are gender lines that use different wording? 

3.) Gender selection was never a controversial topic until pronouns suddenly became politicized. It's basically the same thing. why should pronouns be included? Because it is an aspect of everyone's character. Everyone uses pronouns. It's not something invented by the left. It's just for some absurd reason been vilified by conservatives. 

Renamed said:
IkePoR said:

Holy strawman had sex with a red herring and gave birth to a false equivalency, Batman.

If I steal your food, that's petit theft.  If I take your bill money, that petit theft.  You might miss a meal or even have your electricity turned off.  That's real world negative repercussions. But if I give you the option, the OPTION to be represented even just a little bit in a recreational distraction....

Reason?  Inclusivity.  Representation.  Validation.  Affirmation.  Maybe to have 10 seconds in the character select screen to give a person who's been shit on all their life a tiny moment of simply being seen and recognized for just existing. 

So let me steelman this back to you so we aren't talking past each other.  You're saying we ought to have pronouns in character select screens because it affirms peoples feelings.  

Okay, what people?  Because no one bought it, no one's playing it to receive this validation.  This is a device that is disliked by a decently measurable part of the gaming space, a group that speaks to boycotting games with it in them.  Why, as a business, would you push those people out to appease a group of people that make up 1% of the population?  By the way, that's a fraction of a percent that actually plays games.  How is this a net positive we ought to do?

IkePoR said:

Okay, what people?  Because no one bought it, no one's playing it to receive this validation.  This is a device that is disliked by a decently measurable part of the gaming space, a group that speaks to boycotting games with it in them.  Why, as a business, would you push those people out to appease a group of people that make up 1% of the population?  By the way, that's a fraction of a percent that actually plays games.  How is this a net positive we ought to do?

People aren't boycotting this game because it happens to mention pronouns. There was very little interest in the game well before that was even known. 

Pronouns or no pronouns wouldn't change anything for the game. 

A much larger than 1% chunk of the population is impacted by these kinds of things. Everyone uses pronouns. They're not controversial to anyone who understands what a pronoun is. 

IkePoR said:
Renamed said:

The fucking fuck kind of fucking argument was this? Holy fuck lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
IkePoR said:

The fucking fuck kind of fucking argument was this? Holy fuck lol

It's called a fucking analogy, and it's used to test your fucking logic of fucking reasoning.