By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Myth Wukong: Review Thread

Hiku said:
Norion said:

I won't exactly miss his posts but the bias in the ban reasoning isn't ideal and a permaban seems a bit much when he hadn't been banned many times before and there's typically more leniency before going that far for example giving a final warning with a long ban. Just seems unusually strict when stuff worse than his antics has happened in the past on here including earlier this year that didn't get punished anywhere near that strongly.

Bans are not the only type of moderations people recieve. And they don't always recieve a moderation if they technically skirt the rules. Do you know how many times per month the mods have to review not just reports about Zeldaring, but entire e-mails?

This is a volunteered position with no pay. People's time is valuable and there is a limit to how much of it should be occupied by one person consistently, as it affects our ability to work with other issues.

One of many reasons why it's against the rules for members to discuss moderator decisions on the forum as you are doing is because it always gets misrepresented because people don't know what goes on in Modchat.

Final warnings before a perma ban tends to be reserved for members who either have displayed the potential or willingness to improve, or have other redeeming qualities they bring to the forum. I don't think any of that applied to Zeldaring.
While I was not involved in the decision to ban him, it doesn't surprise me in the least.

As for the other incident that lead to a week's ban, I don't know who that is referring to, but I would like to hear about it, so send me that PM as well.

I'll send you that in a bit and will respond to this reply there.

Last edited by Norion - on 25 August 2024

Around the Network

Speaking of people no longer here, what happened to that thevideogameninja?

Chrkeller said:

Meh, to each their own. I enjoyed Zelda'a unique and differing opinions. I used to chat with him via PM. Oh well, plenty of other places to spend one's time.

Wrapping up Deaths Door and might move onto Black Myth.

Edit

As for the other incident where someone called for the murder of all conservatives, that thread was deleted.  Read into that what you will.  Does seem curious that a bunch of mods weren't even aware of the situation.

Screw it.  Things are what they are.  

I said we need to move this elsewhere because this is off-topic but I feel I need to respond to this to defend the team and it is very much borderline inflammatory conspiracy theory, Lol. I'm obviously not comfortable with people openly spreading lies which can be used against the team so I will respond here.

I don't even know what thread you're talking about, no thread has been deleted, there has only been one time in VGChartz's history from what I can remember, that a thread was "deleted" due to the thread being seriously fucked up and it was a thread created way before the current mod teams time, like 10+ years ago or something like that.

The thread was likely locked, one political thread was locked (Trump vs Biden) because Biden dropped out the race and so we recreated a new thread (Trump vs Harris) and another political thread was locked (Trump's assassination) because it went massively off-topic but I even mentioned in the mod-note that I would unlock it if any extra news comes to light if people want me to.

So no thread was deleted that I'm aware of. The reason you may think that is because Talon changed how thread locking works (years ago) where when a thread is locked it is automatically dropped out of sight from the front page instead of waiting for it to drop off and likewise in the Buddy but it can still be found and accessed by normal users.

Now go back on topic, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 25 August 2024

LegitHyperbole said:
Norion said:

To be fair it probably wasn't mainly due to that and more it was the final straw on top of being sick of his antics but yeah since you brought it up that was one of the things I was referring to and the disparity in treatment there and for Zeldaring is the first time since that Hogwarts Legacy thread that I've felt concerned about the bias here since while I wouldn't support a perma in either case since I support free speech I'd say that incident is clearly much more deserving of it than his antics combined with that comment he made.

Though it taking 1.5 years for me to feel concerned about it again means it could be much, much worse at least.

It could be much worse, you're allowing yourself to say Hogwarts Legacy. People on ERA have to refer to it as the wizard game in a really ironic way like the game and J.K has become Voldemort. It's really weird and strange. 

Permaban seems harsh, not sure what he did in the past though or what was the straw that broke things. 

Reset Era is just as extreme as NeoGaf but in opposite directions. Both are nutty and hypocritical. Both pretend to be outraged by something then when it's no longer convenient/trendy sing somethings praises. I know above they are referring to my in-the-heat-of-the-moment comment about wanting Repub politicians perm gone since I associate them with Nazi's.  Only place I ran into where people took issue but whatever. It's in the past. I got a week's ban. I didn't exactly repeat it over and over. Been staying out of the politics section for a while now. Also not the right topic to go into it anyway.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

haxxiy said:

So far you are just begging the question, so yes, forgive me if it's coming off as unfounded paranoia. When you had conspiracists floating around that SBI and IGN tried to scam the Black Myth Wukong devs for $7 million or some nonsense just a few months back it can be a bit hard to believe anyone is still mentioning this minor consulting firm in good faith.

I'm open to actual proof that they're causing damage or being a hindrance. Even peddling their services unprompted to studios would do. Developer harassment is a serious claim, so I'm sure you must have plenty of it, right?

ALl I am saying is that they are not the bogeyman, nor are they some secret psy op. They are a group of poorly thought out political activists who seek to change the world views their way, and so far it has been met with failure and pushback.

The thing is, the world is already diverse. We already have games with PoC in them, we have plenty of games featuring femme characters, even some of them being lead characters and secondary ones. There is virtually no need to deem a "consultation" company as completely necessary, especially when you have your own focus groups and your own people researching history, topics and anything else in between. 

The need for "consultation" companies in gaming is largely propped up as if they are needed out of necessity, when they really are not. For say, a historically accurate game, you would refer to actual certified historians, not a DEI consultation company, because they are factually not at the forefront of history, nor will they ever be (historians have had that position nailed for centuries, this is not a point of contention to argue with, it is what it is).

The thing with the Wukong studio is that they so far have not denied that they were approached, especially via the fallout that occurred sometime after, and when you put together the constant and obvious smear campaigns by those allied with those "consultation" companies, it starts to become more apparent that something went down that was not of a peaceful nature, nor fully resolved. Also when you look into just how much money said "consultation" companies amass via funding from the likes of Gov's and Blackrock, it starts to form an image that they need the money from higher up sources, rather than simply making their own way (Ubisoft can do it their own way, yet they pilfered the grants from Singapore, which in turn ended up crushing that region's games industry, leaving newcomers out to dry, which is what I would classify as non beneficial to that region, much like these "consultation" firms are doing with funded/lent money).

You seem to be of a stance that you want to justify calling people insane, I'm sure you have justifications for that to say it openly, right?. 

Again, I'll say it one more time. I do not take kindly to being told how to think, and your questioning of evidence to knowingly toss it aside (I know exactly how this works, I'm not stupid, and it comes off as an insult to me when the onus is on you, not me, you're calling anyone against DEI firms insane, that's on you entirely) is not of good faith.

If you have nothing more to say other than alluding to justifying an insult, I'd suggest not doing so and leave it at that.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

The corporate DEI boom only came about because analysts and consulting firms released reports convincing the business world that "the modern audience" was taking over and catering to it would make them a lot of money while protecting them from cancel culture and negative press from the media. This was partially done by demonstrating that some of the most successful businesses in the world had already embraced DEI while forgetting that correlation does not equal causation and that at least some of these companies went full DEI well after they were already successful.

Reality turned out to be quite a bit different than they were told, which is why so many businesses are reducing DEI initiatives or axing them entirely. Though, in their defense, many of them exist in a bubble where they think California represents the world, plus it took awhile before all sides were able to weaponize social media properly. Now, hilariously, they both use economic intimidation and misinformation tactics while also complaining vehemently about what the other side is doing.

It also turns out that many non-English speaking countries didn't get the original memo or don't give a rat's ass about it if they did.

Relative to games specifically, so many studios and publishers have forgotten one very important fact--most people don't like being preached at, especially not by condescending pricks who have only ever experienced a very narrow slice of the world. You can use the elements themselves and people won't care--The Fallout series had female and PoC main characters and it was praised by pretty much everyone--but if you try to shove your religion down their throat then they're going to resist.