By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Best graphics on Nintendo Switch

Chrkeller said:

LM3 I think is the prettiest Switch game, followed by pikmin 4.

I always thought Odyssey was meh. Felt like a wii u game that was ported. Granted it is a nice 60 fps.

Link's Awakening has great art style but the slow down is awful.

Dread was awesome, flawless masterpiece.

Yeah LM3 and Pikmin 4 are right up there for me as well.

Odyssey does make some sacrifices in order to run big open levels at 60fps, but I do personally feel it's a very nice looking Switch game.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

I'm really curious to see more of Metroid Prime 4. We only got a small taste just to say the game exists. It seemed to be doing more than Remaster (not that surprising) and looks a little nicer. Does anyone have any insight based on what we saw on lighting techniques and such?

Yeah Prime 4 looks set to quite possibly set a new high water mark for Switch visuals when it releases; for my money, Prime Remastered is the single best looking game on the system, and 4 looks to inherit all its strengths, plus the added benefit of having a bigger budget, more time in the oven, and the team having more experience with the Switch hardware after their warmup run in Remastered.

It looks set to be one of those end-of-life games that really shows what can accomplished when every drop of power is squeezed out of a system, like with games like Conker on N64, (And Xbox for that matter) BOTW on Wii U, Beyond Two Souls on PS3, etc.

Odyssey still looks good tho not quite as good as when it launched. It looked better than 3D World and for a launch year game that felt like showing off Switch is beefier than Wii U.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Odyssey still looks good tho not quite as good as when it launched. It looked better than 3D World and for a launch year game that felt like showing off Switch is beefier than Wii U.

Yeah it has been surpassed since by the likes of Luigi's Mansion 3 and Prime Remastered, but for a first year game it did show the step forward in capability from Wii U, and I would argue it was the best looking game of the Switch's first year. (Though FAST RMX and Mario + Rabbids looked great also)

I always was more impresses with BotW over Odyssey. Odyssey was a fantastic game that felt Wii U like. Given it came out so early and wii u died hard, I would be shocked if it weren't developed originally for the wii u.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

I'm hoping the switch 2 has betteroad times. I'm replaying pikmin 4 and the load times are awful.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I'm hoping the switch 2 has betteroad times. I'm replaying pikmin 4 and the load times are awful.

Rumor is it's SSD is 2.1GB which is slightly slower than Series X.

Leynos said:
Chrkeller said:

Should be plenty fast.  Thank God.  I hate loading.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Leynos said:

Should be plenty fast.  Thank God.  I hate loading.  

Never own a Neo Geo CD unless you like a Juggling Monkey. It can take over a minute for stuff to load lol

Chrkeller said:

I always was more impresses with BotW over Odyssey. Odyssey was a fantastic game that felt Wii U like. Given it came out so early and wii u died hard, I would be shocked if it weren't developed originally for the wii u.

It's hard to say honestly; it was pretty clear early on in the Wii U's life that it was a failure, so they may have switched (heh) gears to developing for the next system as far back as 2013-2014.

Personally I don't think Odyssey's graphical makeup suggests any remnants of Wii U; compared to 3D World it's pushing much more scope plus a free camera, yet still manages to have better materials, effects, and texture variety.

As a 60fps game though, it has only half as much processing time per frame compared to BOTW, so it is less detailed as a result.