By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2024 US Presidential Election

Maybe I'm overthinking it but I also get uncomfortable when I bang on about foreign policy in here with my long ass posts because I think the Americans would rather talk about domestic policy. Plus we already have the Israel/Palestine and Russia/Ukraine thread where those discussions can be held. I don't want to drown out all domestic talk with foreign policy talk, even if it's something I'm passionate about.

Around the Network

NOT THE GEESE.

Ryuu96 said:

Just who are the people who are answering the questions in these polls?

All the comedians must be right: This is a snapshot of the people's opinions who don't mind answering the questions of complete strangers on the phone.

We are now at the point where Trump runs on main issues like sex-change operations for pupils in schools that are happening without their parents' knowledge, immigrants eating the pets, strawberry ice-cream turning boys gay, babies getting executed after birth and Canada preparing for an invasion from the north because you can never trust the French. Apparently a portion of Canadians speaking French is a good enough basis to be reaching for that.

This is the easiest election in US history, ever. But somehow Trump still polls above 40% without any problems. The polls are rigged.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

zorg1000 said:
IkePoR said:

So lets see if I got this right: it's covid and only covid then?  And nothing to do with mortgage interest rates, mortgage payments and rent being higher, the Russia-Ukraine war, or profligacy in the treasury? 

Like they said, high inflation isn’t something that happens all of a sudden and is usually from a variety of factors coming together at once, one of those factors was Covid.

Covid saw large parts of the economy shut down in 2020 and as things started to open back up in 2021 we saw supply chain issues due to increased demand, labor shortages and lingering Covid restrictions. This was exacerbated by the war in Ukraine in 2022 where sanctions on Russia saw oil prices skyrocket.

A combination of Fed interest rate hikes and supply chains stabilizing have seen inflation gradually come down from its peak of 9.1% in June 2022 to 2.5% in August 2024 which is close to the ~2% target of the Fed and we will likely see interest rates start coming down.

Their original claim presumed inflation was only because of covid, I addressed it in my last post  here

Torillian said:
IkePoR said:

I've found it difficult to meet one American that says they're having a better time over the last four years verses the prior four. When I interact with them they acknowledge it, sort of pause, then proclaim they're voting for Kalama. When asked what's it based on, there's lots of platitudes and diverting, before finally falling on "Trump's just x." No policy they like or often even know about the candidate chosen for them, no honest fandom for their candidate, no moral reasoning for their candidate. They just hate the other guy.

It's interesting that one person can make such a wide swathe of people go mad. It's certainly something for the sociology majors.

I can answer that question. Yes inflation has gotten worse, but I don't trust someone who wouldn't let go of power and still can't agree he lost. 

Your answer is literally the same, Trump is x.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Ryuu96 said:

All the comedians must be right: This is a snapshot of the people's opinions who don't mind answering the questions of complete strangers on the phone.

We are now at the point where Trump runs on main issues like sex-change operations for pupils in schools that are happening without their parents' knowledge, immigrants eating the pets, strawberry ice-cream turning boys gay, babies getting executed after birth and Canada preparing for an invasion from the north because you can never trust the French. Apparently a portion of Canadians speaking French is a good enough basis to be reaching for that.

This is the easiest election in US history, ever. But somehow Trump still polls above 40% without any problems. The polls are rigged.

Any other candidate and it would be a landslide defeat, Trump's cult is dedicated though. I don't want to doubt polls too much and get complacent, I don't want to risk it, Lol. I still think it will be a close election but largely due to the electoral college, I don't think it would be close if it was popular vote. I'm optimistic right now though, I think Harris has the edge and I'd put her as favourite to win.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 6 days ago

I also believe though that the debate has hurt him more than I expected it to. I think him banging on about "THEY'RE EATING OUR CATS, DOGS, GEESE" is going to start backfiring on him too, not only with the hundreds of thousands of Haitian-Americans but people seeing even further how much of a weirdo he is. Walz vs Vance may even have a bigger impact on the election than usual VP debates given how weird Vance is as well. I firmly believe that Vance is also going to drag Trump down a little while VP candidates usually don't have any affect on elections.

The momentum and vibes remain with Harris, Republicans still can't find an attack angle that sticks, Harris has successfully got past debate #1. She needs to keep her foot on the gas all the way until election day, no breaks, beat him while he's down and don't give him any breathing space, so far I'd say Harris is putting on a far better campaign than Hillary, it's a smart campaign and one which isn't slowing down. Also I've been seeing good news on oil prices as well.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 6 days ago

IkePoR said:

Their original claim presumed inflation was only because of covid, I addressed it in my last post  here

Torillian said:

I can answer that question. Yes inflation has gotten worse, but I don't trust someone who wouldn't let go of power and still can't agree he lost. 

Your answer is literally the same, Trump is x.

It's like if you were at a restaurant and you had to eat one of two sandwiches. The waiter tells you sandwich A is covered in arsenic and sandwich B does not contain any lethal or dangerous poisons. Naturally, people with common sense will choose sandwich B, without having to know anything more.

Then someone comes along and says, "Wow, I can't believe all of these people are eating sandwich B. They don't even know what kind of cheese is on sandwich B or how many calories are in it. Sociologists should really study why all of these people are eating sandwich B. Der her her."

Not that I couldn't point to specific policies I approve of, which I might do if you could point all of Trump's great policies, but the fact that Trump tried to end democracy in America is a pretty damn good reason to vote for a candidate who has not tried to end American democracy (and also he promotes racist conspiracy theories, joked about how Epstein who is a great guy according to Trump likes women on the young side, was found liable for sexual assault and subsequent defamation of his victim, is a convicted felon, shared classified US documents, is a pathological liar, etc etc). Please explain the flaw in that viewpoint. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - 6 days ago

Ryuu96 said:

Maybe I'm overthinking it but I also get uncomfortable when I bang on about foreign policy in here with my long ass posts because I think the Americans would rather talk about domestic policy. Plus we already have the Israel/Palestine and Russia/Ukraine thread where those discussions can be held. I don't want to drown out all domestic talk with foreign policy talk, even if it's something I'm passionate about.

I don’t mind the talks about foreign policy, it’s obviously a very important topic. The thing that annoys me is when people act like it’s the only issue and say shit like it doesn’t matter who wins because both are bad at foreign policy.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
Ryuu96 said:

No, people are really that stupid. 

Ryuu96 said:

NOT THE GEESE.

Trump is literally not capable of just admitting he was wrong or even just letting it go quietly. He will talk about immigrants eating pets at basically every opportunity now. 

But if they actually were taking the geese, then I say we need more Hatians in this country. Fuck geese.