By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2024 US Presidential Election

Renamed: "Who runs the RNC now?"

Trump does for this year, next year it will be someone else.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

I've been wondering in what direction the Republican Party will go if Trump loses again.

When orange-hair-clown loses in November, I hope Repubs will pivot to a new leader, one who is more Reagan Republican than MAGA Republican.

I don't see a future for MAGA after Trump loses.  Who will carry the torch after his defeat? And this will be his last run.

BFR said:

Laura is only the co-chair and it will only be someone else next year if the 168 member voting electorate have a massive change in support.  She, and the primary chair, were elected by acclamation in March.  Basically a 168-0 win.   There does not seem to be any dissent from within the RNC itself no matter how the actual voters feel.

BFR said:
zorg1000 said:

I've been wondering in what direction the Republican Party will go if Trump loses again.

When orange-hair-clown loses in November, I hope Repubs will pivot to a new leader, one who is more Reagan Republican than MAGA Republican.

I don't see a future for MAGA after Trump loses.  Who will carry the torch after his defeat? And this will be his last run.

Reagan Republican?  Nah.  If they really wanted to shake things up, they'd prop up a Rockefeller Republican.  

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

zorg1000 said:

I don’t want to jump the gun and say Harris is sure to win but I’ve been wondering in what direction the Republican Party will go if Trump loses again.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and have changed my opinion a few times. 

I used to think that Republicans would care more about winning and this would direct them to centrist candidates. I no longer believe that, and now believe what Republicans care most about is sticking it to the Libs. 

Because of this, I don't think MAGA is going anywhere anytime soon. MAGA existed pre-Trump as the Tea Party and will exist post Trump in some form. While I don't think there is a single heir apparent, there will be plenty of offshoot MAGA candidates that will continue on. A few of them will rise to the top and fight to be the new leader of the party. The questions is will this new person be better or worse than Trump? Can that candidate win a general election?

There will be an intense "civil war" within the party. We already see this fracture Congress. I hope that the more moderate Republicans can retake control but the majority of them (few notable exceptions like Romney & Cheney) have shown such a lack of a backbone that I do not have faith in them. 

My Real Redneck friends

Just watched the first Harris interview and I'd say it was pretty good. Didn't get too into policies or reveal anything too crazy, but she managed to avoid any major rough patches despite getting some pretty hard-hitting questions. I can't imagine that it'll really move the needle or change minds, but hopefully we can stop hearing Trump/Vance talking about it 24/7.

Around the Network
Renamed said:
BFR said:

Laura is only the co-chair and it will only be someone else next year if the 168 member voting electorate have a massive change in support.  She, and the primary chair, were elected by acclamation in March.  Basically a 168-0 win.   There does not seem to be any dissent from within the RNC itself no matter how the actual voters feel.

BFR said:

Reagan Republican?  Nah.  If they really wanted to shake things up, they'd prop up a Rockefeller Republican.  

A lot of feelings can change over the course of one year...Are you shitting me? Name me one Repub who recognizes the name Rockefeller over Reagan?

Would like to know one state where a baby has been allowed to be killed after it was born.
Do his followers never feel like their intelligemce is being insulted when he says these things?

Last edited by Hiku - on 30 August 2024

Renamed said:
zorg1000 said:

I don’t want to jump the gun and say Harris is sure to win but I’ve been wondering in what direction the Republican Party will go if Trump loses again.

Let’s say Harris wins by a slightly larger margin than Biden did in 2020 (all the same states Biden won+North Carolina), this would be Trump doing worse in each election and Republicans losing 4 of the last 5 elections.

In this scenario, does the Republican Party reject Trumpism and try to moderate themselves or do they triple down and keep moving further to the right?

In the aftermath of the 2012 election, Republicans made a game plan to moderate their stances on social issues to try and do better with minorities, women, LGBT people and young voters but Trump came along and ruined those plans. Do they go back to that plan?

If they do reject Trump and moderate themselves, does Trump go third party and split up the party in half?

GOP-Prides themselves on being the “Party of Reaganâ€Â, promotes fiscal conservatism and free trade while focusing less on social issues.

MAGA-party of Trump/authoritarianism, isolationist/protectionist, anti-immigration and strong focus on social issues.

Who runs the RNC now?

I know Lara Trump is co-chair of the Committee or something like that but I guess I don’t know enough about how the RNC works to know how much power that position holds or how long they serve or what the process is to replace someone.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

rapsuperstar31 said:
zorg1000 said:

Let’s say Harris wins by a slightly larger margin than Biden did in 2020 (all the same states Biden won+North Carolina), this would be Trump doing worse in each election and Republicans losing 4 of the last 5 elections.

In this scenario, does the Republican Party reject Trumpism and try to moderate themselves or do they triple down and keep moving further to the right?

In the aftermath of the 2012 election, Republicans made a game plan to moderate their stances on social issues to try and do better with minorities, women, LGBT people and young voters but Trump came along and ruined those plans. Do they go back to that plan?

If they do reject Trump and moderate themselves, does Trump go third party and split up the party in half?

GOP-Prides themselves on being the “Party of Reaganâ€Â, promotes fiscal conservatism and free trade while focusing less on social issues.

MAGA-party of Trump/authoritarianism, isolationist/protectionist, anti-immigration and strong focus on social issues.

With the way Trump rambles, can't stay on topic, and forgets now I can't imagine he will be able to mentally handle it at 82 years old 4 years from now.  Hopefully the Republican party boots Lara Trump and say's enjoy prison Donald, and takes back it's party.  A lot of the bigger maga candidates don't end up winning Senate and Governor seats when they run for the them, you see them win house seats in smaller republican dominant districts.

Even if he doesn’t run again, I feel like he will have a strong amount of influence in the party for awhile, at least among certain GOP members and their base.

You’re right that a lot of the crazier Senate & Governor candidates have lost but I wouldn’t rule out these type of people still winning Republican primaries over the next few years if Trump is endorsing them.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Hiku said:

Would like to know one state where a baby has been allowed to be killed after it was born.
Do his followers never feel like their intelligemce is being insulted when he says these things?

I'm not sure how common it is, but I've heard some conservatives claim that Democrats are supportive of "post birth" abortions for several years now.

Quite a few conservatives seem to just think that Democrats are horrible monsters, and do not understand whatsoever why Democrats are supportive of X, Y or Z.