By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Vista or Bust? Microsoft Screws Gamers

Come on guys, Vista is fine for gaming. Unless you're still playing old games, then it shouldn't be a problem! And also, you only see a problem sometimes if you have a crap computer. My setup is pretty good, so I don't have to worry about that. But seriously, Vista is fine for gaming, just don't go playing really old games, or OpenGL games lol.

Just to let you all know, every game I've installed on Vista with the exception of Prey worked! But you can always install both OS anyway if it bothers you that much. Hard drives are cheap nowadays =P

Around the Network

Looks like I officially own this thread now. You will all obey the first post.

When I game on Vista I turn off the Sidebar and turn off the Themes in Services. This improves FPS vastly.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

still lame M$ canceled DX9LE =/

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

That's one reason why I gave up being a PC gamer for the most part (not completely) after Halo 2 was Vista-only, along with Shadowrun, and I knew it would become a common trend. I also hate how I have to buy a PC or major overhaul/upgrade every 2-3 years for the price of 1/2 of a car, just to have "impressive" graphics... not to mention NVIDIA cards are always above the price of blood no matter what...

EDIT: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OP???

Around the Network

Never was a PC gamer but both my laptops run on XP and never had any issues with it. Thank god my college was able to sell windows programs for five dollars a piece. won't be upgrading to vista for a long time I hope.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

Auron said:
Squilliam said:
um, vista/xp are the same speed at the same settings. So its not an issue, in fact sometimes Vista is faster on the same machine!

You need to stop smoking whatever you are smoking, anybody worth their salt in PC gaming will tell you once you upgrade to Vista you will get slower speed than XP.  Vista itself requires more resources to run....says it right on the box.....

Ahh ok because Vista requires more resources than XP it must be worst for gaming right? I mean shit if you are worth your salt in pc gaming? Well some people perfer to take advantage of DX 10 which offers great performance and by far the best graphics to date.

You are so twisted in your hate for Microsoft what you are posting these days kinda makes me laugh.

elendar said:
Auron said:
Squilliam said:
um, vista/xp are the same speed at the same settings. So its not an issue, in fact sometimes Vista is faster on the same machine!

You need to stop smoking whatever you are smoking, anybody worth their salt in PC gaming will tell you once you upgrade to Vista you will get slower speed than XP. Vista itself requires more resources to run....says it right on the box.....

Ahh ok because Vista requires more resources than XP it must be worst for gaming right? I mean shit if you are worth your salt in pc gaming? Well some people perfer to take advantage of DX 10 which offers great performance and by far the best graphics to date.

You are so twisted in your hate for Microsoft what you are posting these days kinda makes me laugh.

He is correct though...more resources being used generally means worse performance while playing a game.  And DX10 does not equal better performance, and it's only marginally better than what is capable with DX9.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

L.C.E.C. said:

That's one reason why I gave up being a PC gamer for the most part (not completely) after Halo 2 was Vista-only, along with Shadowrun, and I knew it would become a common trend. I also hate how I have to buy a PC or major overhaul/upgrade every 2-3 years for the price of 1/2 of a car, just to have "impressive" graphics... not to mention NVIDIA cards are always above the price of blood no matter what...

EDIT: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OP???

The op was permabanned as an alt-account of Rock_on_2008.  Rock_on's ban will be extended after his current one is up because of his alt account too.

OT: Halo 2 and the other "vista only" games can be made to run in DX9 incredibly easily.  In Halo 2 you literally just change the name of a file extension.   

elendar said:
Auron said:
Squilliam said:

You need to stop smoking whatever you are smoking, anybody worth their salt in PC gaming will tell you once you upgrade to Vista you will get slower speed than XP. Vista itself requires more resources to run....says it right on the box.....

In my later post i clarified what i said.....on the SAME machine games run slower on vista then XP.  I guess you missed that.   How was my post Anti-MS??  You seem to be so dense that you think me prefering one MS product (XP) over another(Vista).  So if i like the XB more than 360 i am somehow going against MS?? Get a life or some rationality....