By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which "casual era" was worse, Nintendo's E3 08, or Microsoft's Kinect years (2009-2013)?

Wman1996 said:
Pemalite said:

I actually still use Kinect on my Xbox One X via an adapter. - Wish it was compatible with my Series X, which is why I still use my Xbox One X more often than my Series X.

But I don't use it for motion controls, but rather I use it for voice recognition commands...
I wish Microsoft retained that functionality and included a microphone in successive consoles/controllers, because voice control is freaking convenient. I.E. Saying: "Xbox Record That!" when something cool happens in a game... Rather than hitting the guide button and going through convoluted menu's.

I need to snag up a Kinect 2.0 and adapter for my One X (didn't have an Xbox One until this year) before they get too ridiculously priced.

Perhaps I'm overestimating Kinect 2.0's long-term value, but there are games, accessories and hardware and such that we wouldn't have thought 10-20 years ago would be valuable and now they are.

And something else, I think the Wii U GamePad was a bigger disaster for Nintendo than Kinect 2.0 for Xbox One. Xbox removed forced Kinect usage before launch and ended up giving up on Kinect. A Wii U GamePad is included with every Wii U (driving up the cost) while required for some games and required for system settings. 

Nah Kinect is a bigger disaster. Nintendo bounced back and Switch has a touch screen. MS brand has never recovered. Kinect helped kill a brand.  Wii U was only a setback and a setback is a setup for a comeback which we know Nintendo did in spades.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Wman1996 said:

I need to snag up a Kinect 2.0 and adapter for my One X (didn't have an Xbox One until this year) before they get too ridiculously priced.

Perhaps I'm overestimating Kinect 2.0's long-term value, but there are games, accessories and hardware and such that we wouldn't have thought 10-20 years ago would be valuable and now they are.

And something else, I think the Wii U GamePad was a bigger disaster for Nintendo than Kinect 2.0 for Xbox One. Xbox removed forced Kinect usage before launch and ended up giving up on Kinect. A Wii U GamePad is included with every Wii U (driving up the cost) while required for some games and required for system settings. 

Nah Kinect is a bigger disaster. Nintendo bounced back and Switch has a touch screen. MS brand has never recovered. Kinect helped kill a brand.  Wii U was only a setback and a setback is a setup for a comeback which we know Nintendo did in spades.

I suppose I meant the Game Pad was a bigger disaster for Wii U than Kinect was for Xbox One.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima