By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2024 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

Kai_Mao said:
RedKingXIII said:

Quality =/= bigger budget...

I do agree the state of the PS brand in Japan is sad but there's no one to blame but Sony themselves. It's a decline happening since the PS3/PSP days, too. What I'm wondering is how bad can things get on the PS6, especially if the third party support on the Switch 2 is better.

I can still see the PS6 get all of the big third party titles as the Switch 2 will still be behind the PS5/Xbox Series X in terms of raw specs. How big the difference is yet to be determined. The problem would be how would the output be moving forward? Budgets aren’t going to go down, inflation or not. There are companies seeking bigger games and realistic graphics. Spider-Man 2 had a budget of hundreds of millions (even if you consider the licensing). That’s not feasible long term. We’ve seen games like Suicide Squad and Redfall fall flat on their faces. We’ve seen games like Starfield and FFVII Rebirth fall short of certain expectations, whether critical, commercial, or both. The industry is in need of a balancing act. We’ll see how things go..

The PS4 got every single relevant third party game for the Japanese market and it still declined over the PS3 and didn't even sell 10m+ in the region. What is going to happen with the PS brand in Japan if the Switch 2 also gets some of the AAA japanese games that will be released on the PS5/6? I would expect the decline to just continue in the region.

Maybe the Switch 2 will get the same third party treatment as the first Switch with lots of third party games skipping it in favor of PS/Xbox/PC and things will remain the same. Who knows. It's just a situation where we can just wait and see what's going to happen honestly.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Kneetos said:

Why is everyone talking about quality and not "what games are most fun to play"

No one really cares about budget or scope or how many A's are tacked onto a game.

Also, having spoken to an Asian person, they tell me that customer goodwill is a lot more important over in Japan, and with how Sony has been treating the Japanese market for the past few years, shipping less ps5 systems to Japan in the early years of the systems life, to undershipping games like stellar blade, closing a lot of it's Japanese studios and having a lot of their games "cater to the west"

Is it really any wonder why games on playstation are not doing as well as they could be.
And I'll say it again, PlayStation's failings are Sony's fault and has nothing to do with Japan being a handheld/mobile country

I disagree  ps2 sold 160 million WW and litterly  had every single big Japanese and western game exclusive, as well as Sony making more Japanese style games, with only 23 million coming from japan so of course they are going to focus on the west and need a bigger console for more power meaning and western games. Still it's crazy to me that having every thirdparty game exclusive for generations cause Xbox is dead there and still can't break 12-15 million, and almost impossible to have a huge success with a western game as well in Japan. So no I don't Blame Sony. Let's not also forget that n64, wii, GC sold like horrible in Japan compared to the rest of the world, if your not a handheld you are dead in Japan. 

Just FYI, of the 4 consoles selling better than PS2 in Japan, 3 released after the PS2. At the time it was very much the big cheese in Japan, so this idea of yours that Sony has always been weak in Japan just doesn't work. It's flat-out revisionist history in an attempt to shift the blame for Playstation's recent underperformance away from Sony.

zeldaring said:

I really don't think 23 million is much considering it sold 160 million ww and  it had a monopoly with every game being exclusive with zero competition.  Obviously it was gonna be downhill cause that wasn't gonna happen again. Just for reference nes and super nes did 17.5 and 19.5 million considering console sales doubled from that era WW, the amount Japanese exclusives ps2 had, i would hardly call that impressive or optimistic for sony future in japan at least a traditional home console. 

A home console selling 23 million in a country of 125m people that historically prefered handhelds IS huge. You clearly don't know what you're talking about if you think otherwise. I don't know what else to tell you.

Jules98 said:
zeldaring said:

I disagree  ps2 sold 160 million WW and litterly  had every single big Japanese and western game exclusive, as well as Sony making more Japanese style games, with only 23 million coming from japan so of course they are going to focus on the west and need a bigger console for more power meaning and western games. Still it's crazy to me that having every thirdparty game exclusive for generations cause Xbox is dead there and still can't break 12-15 million, and almost impossible to have a huge success with a western game as well in Japan. So no I don't Blame Sony. Let's not also forget that n64, wii, GC sold like horrible in Japan compared to the rest of the world, if your not a handheld you are dead in Japan. 

Just FYI, of the 4 consoles selling better than PS2 in Japan, 3 released after the PS2. At the time it was very much the big cheese in Japan, so this idea of yours that Sony has always been weak in Japan just doesn't work. It's flat-out revisionist history in an attempt to shift the blame for Playstation's recent underperformance away from Sony.

It's all about context. Nes sold 19.5. Million when then market was smaller then half the size of the ps2 era, so yea it was the big cheese but for how big the market was, it differently was weak. Honestly Japan is just a very difficult market to be successful in as traditional home console.

RedKingXIII said:
zeldaring said:

I really don't think 23 million is much considering it sold 160 million ww and  it had a monopoly with every game being exclusive with zero competition.  Obviously it was gonna be downhill cause that wasn't gonna happen again. Just for reference nes and super nes did 17.5 and 19.5 million considering console sales doubled from that era WW, the amount Japanese exclusives ps2 had, i would hardly call that impressive or optimistic for sony future in japan at least a traditional home console. 

A home console selling 23 million in a country of 125m people that historically prefered handhelds IS huge. You clearly don't know what you're talking about if you think otherwise. I don't know what else to tell you.

Like I said ps2 was basically the perfect home console interms of basically everything, it had a monopoly and tons of Japanese support exclusives selling 4 million more then nes with the competition like GC and Xbox sold nothing and the market more then doubled just shows that the peak for home consoles there, it's all about growth and there Was no growth left in japan. Sony trying  harder to please japan would a foolish.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 16 July 2024

Around the Network

@zeldaring you have posted like fourty times in here over the past few days. Is everything okay? (y'all we should prolly stop posting here. At this point, just create a new thread.)

zeldaring said:
Phenomajp13 said:

Because a PS fanboy is hurt that the Switch dominates Japan. Apparently developers don't care about Japan lol, this dude genuinely believes he speaks for the entire world. I'm sure that is music to Nintendo's ears though because no other country on planet earth can give you over 30 million consumers besides the US and the other countries arent even close. Nintendo literally sells more in Japan than PS/Xbox sells in the US, that is a heck of an advantage and it pains the dude to see it. That's why the market seems sad because Nintendo dominates the console portion making them unbeatable globally.

LOL i love you  keep using  console warring as a reason for someone might not be too happy about japan not really giving chances to most western games or how Japanese  franchises that were big there seeing huge declines. I would tell you this if resident evil 4 remake, or even fromsoftware were doing half of what they doing in the US, or Europe. i wouldn't complain but yea i'm a fanboy cause what i think are some of the best games ever made don't get enough love in japan is sad.  

Since you are sticking to this story of console warring has no relevance here, I'll just simply prove to you that no one is dumb enough to believe this. 

Your conclusion of the Japanese market doesn't have anywhere near enough evidence to back it up. You continue to ignore these charts are physical sales of the console market. That means no digital software sales and no PC market at all. Don't you think that is a massive amount of software consumed missing from the digital console sales of PS (a market that arguably leans digital) and the entire PC market? These charts will look very bias towards Nintendo considering the Switch market still relies greatly on physical (PS leans digital and digital is fully missing) and it's userbase is much larger than the PS userbase in Japan. These charts would not look as dominate for Nintendo if digital and PC was included.

This leads me to my next point, the games you expect to do better in Japan that you claim don't do well enough, you don't have enough evidence that the don't sell well in Japan. Your proof is a chart that is missing digital and PC. These games don't release on the highest selling platform or if they do they are late ports crippling their potential. They instead release on PC, PS, and Xbox, so two lower selling platforms and the charts you are using don't even include their digital sales which those two platforms are showing enormous growth and PC which has all of it's market completely missing on these charts. 

Your Witcher 3 example was grossly disengious. Your 53 million figure is a global number including it's digital and PC sales (where the biggest share of Witcher 3 sales are on PC) compared to a 1 million figure that doesn't include any digital or PC sales? How is that fair? Is it not reasonable to believe Japan's share of the 53 million total is larger than the 1 million because it is missing the digital PS/Xbox/Switch sales and all of the PC sales from Japan? My point is simply, you lack way too much data to determine your conclusion and honestly just looks like console warring. You also don't have the right to tell Japan they didn't buy enough of a game just because it's popular somewhere else. It's funny how if I insult an individual by calling them a fanboy, that's against the rules but you are allowed to insult an entire country by telling them they have bad taste.

This thread has really gone sideways.

Getting caught up, it looks like the new argument is that the PS2 was not successful in Japan, despite being the best selling home console ever. (When it was released/lifecycle)

Pretty crazy stuff. zeldaring, when you start dogging the PS2s success, it might be time to log off and go outside for a while.

edit:  new famitsu numbers are out. Nintendo clean sweep again, someone make sure Zelda is in a safe place. 

https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-sales-7-8-24-7-14-24/

Last edited by MadDogg - on 18 July 2024

MadDogg said:

This thread has really gone sideways.

Getting caught up, it looks like the new argument is that the PS2 was not successful in Japan, despite being the best selling home console ever. (When it was released/lifecycle)

Pretty crazy stuff. zeldaring, when you start dogging the PS2s success, it might be time to log off and go outside for a while.

edit:  new famitsu numbers are out. Nintendo clean sweep again, someone make sure Zelda is in a safe place. 

https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-sales-7-8-24-7-14-24/

I said look at the context. Despite home console sales seeing a explosion in growth North america and europe, in japan it was already near peak with the nes. ps2 gen was the peak for what traditional  home consoles could sell only doing 4 million then nes shows the console home market was only gonna go down from there, and  even with the massive success of the wii that gen still sold less home consoles then ps2 gen.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 18 July 2024

Shouldn't the NES be treated as an outlier though since it was supported longer than any other platform? I remember reading it had an absurdly long life, with even the PS2 not having as long.