By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who do you believe is the most over rated developer?

@Game_boy
no one expects all nintendo titles to be AAA
the teams you mentioned are those whose games are expected to be good,and always are, so no over rating there.i mean who thinks a pokemon title will be AAA?

as for the topic, ill have to go with the general consensus
bethesda focuses on one thing alone, making massive games, with huge worlds, and a truck load of side quests(which was awesome for the first 2 games,maybe)
but they surely can redeem themselves with fallout 3.
and also square enix,for their downward spiral since PSone.they really have fallen

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Around the Network
BringBackChrono said:
@Game_boy
no one expects all nintendo titles to be AAA
the teams you mentioned are those whose games are expected to be good,and always are, so no over rating there.i mean who thinks a pokemon title will be AAA?

as for the topic, ill have to go with the general consensus
bethesda focuses on one thing alone, making massive games, with huge worlds, and a truck load of side quests(which was awesome for the first 2 games,maybe)
but they surely can redeem themselves with fallout 3.
and also square enix,for their downward spiral since PSone.they really have fallen

IT's not impossible, but unless they change the formula there won't be one. I believe red and blue were AAA. 

I feel Nintendo is overrated, with the amount of games they make there are only a couple that are good. Zelda is an average adventure game with a poor story. SMG is one of the worst games i have ever played, i have no idea what people see in this game. Metroid is FPS with all the fun parts taken out. There best Mario was made over 15 years ago. Mario cart has gone down hill over the years too. Brawl appears to be just the same game i played on the GC and N64.

Valve is also very overrated, i have played all the half-Life games and they are very boring adventure/shooter games. The TF2 game on the Orange box is also one of the worst games i have ever played, it was just no fun. The one good game they made was Portal, and that would only get a 9/10 from me.

@sc94597
when a franchise becomes as successful as pokemon, developers really hesitate to change the formula,thats all.

but what i dont get is the repeated mention of bio-ware.if they are a developer whose most disappointing game is Mass Effect, thats really saying something.
because they do the plot for an RPG at par,or better than the best in the business.
i hope it isnt console bias.as a pc gamer for years, i think bio ware deliver as consistently as any one.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

- Rorschach

Griffin said:
I feel Nintendo is overrated, with the amount of games they make there are only a couple that are good. Zelda is an average adventure game with a poor story. SMG is one of the worst games i have ever played, i have no idea what people see in this game. Metroid is FPS with all the fun parts taken out. There best Mario was made over 15 years ago. Mario cart has gone down hill over the years too. Brawl appears to be just the same game i played on the GC and N64.

Valve is also very overrated, i have played all the half-Life games and they are very boring adventure/shooter games. The TF2 game on the Orange box is also one of the worst games i have ever played, it was just no fun. The one good game they made was Portal, and that would only get a 9/10 from me.

LOL...you took my last post and did + 1000 with this one :)

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Developers that succeed by the virtue of a single franchise and put out a lot of crappy secondary games like Rockstar are the definition of overrated to me because outside of one single hit IP/franchise they generally don't put out quality anything.

True, id isn't overrated because no one pays attention to them anymore.

I still stand by my statement about Rockstar, though. I have a hard time considering them overrated, especially with how people are raving about GTA IV and the feature set Rockstar included in the game.

Earthworm Jim 3D? Table Tennis? Midnight Club?

I'm sorry but outside of GTA and maybe Max Payne (which is probably far too generous), their offering is not even mediocre, it's just plain bad.

Dammit, I forgot about Earthworm Jim 3D and Midnight Club. You got me there.

Table Tennis wasn't bad, it just wasn't that great. It was also a budget title. You also forgot to mention Bully. While it was far from great, it wasn't a bad game by any means.

I've never played Bully and I've heard good and bad things about it.  Wasn't sure whether to it in the bad list or the good one so I left it off.  I'd rather not make too many judgments about games I haven't played; those tend to bite you in the rear if you make them too often.

Agree or disagree, you can at least see where I'm coming from with my opinion though right?  ^_^ 

Griffin said:

I disagree with both of these statements.

"Zelda is an average adventure game with a poor story."

"SMG is one of the worst games i have ever played, i have no idea what people see in this game."

" Metroid is FPS with all the fun parts taken out. "

Expand on these and give specific details. I would love to see how you came to these conclusions.

I can't believe you hate one of the best FPS. The orange box is an amazing game, and far superior to most console fps'. I would love to see you expand on this one too.

@Griffin
wow, you must like a very specific type of games
and im sure you expect killzone 2 to be much better than half life 2.
but sadly, you might be the only one.

- Rorschach

BringBackChrono said:
@sc94597
when a franchise becomes as successful as pokemon, developers really hesitate to change the formula,thats all.

but what i dont get is the repeated mention of bio-ware.if they are a developer whose most disappointing game is Mass Effect, thats really saying something.
because they do the plot for an RPG at par,or better than the best in the business.
i hope it isnt console bias.as a pc gamer for years, i think bio ware deliver as consistently as any one.

I agree especially in this case. Nintendo is whoring pokemon. They have like 5 different pokemon series where only one is a really good , and the others are decent or poor.

Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Developers that succeed by the virtue of a single franchise and put out a lot of crappy secondary games like Rockstar are the definition of overrated to me because outside of one single hit IP/franchise they generally don't put out quality anything.

True, id isn't overrated because no one pays attention to them anymore.

I still stand by my statement about Rockstar, though. I have a hard time considering them overrated, especially with how people are raving about GTA IV and the feature set Rockstar included in the game.

Earthworm Jim 3D? Table Tennis? Midnight Club?

I'm sorry but outside of GTA and maybe Max Payne (which is probably far too generous), their offering is not even mediocre, it's just plain bad.

MidNight Club is probably the most fun racing series ever outside of mario kart, so i like Rockstar and in my opinion Rockstar is the best developer, they give their games so much freedom