By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who do you believe is the most over rated developer?

Edit: fine, you admitted you were wrong. Let's just move on.

@Griffin:

1) You are basing your opinion on Valve as a company off an EA port of a PC game. Good show sir.

2) How can you possibly own an online DS game and not know what a friend code is?

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
I'm going to go against the current here, but I'm also going to agree with Nintendo. If it weren't for nostalgia I wouldn't have much respect for them :x I feel they butchered most of they're franchises during the gamecube era, (Fox going on foot, Mario Kart turning lame as hell, Metroid becoming a first person shooter, Link becoming a cartoon, mario attempting story, etc etc etc)

I used to really get into Nintendo games, but then I started playing similar titles from other companies and it really hit me hard. I started playing games like Ratchet and clank, Jak and Daxter, and just recently Beyond: good and evil. They follow a similar premise as some of my favorite Nintendo titles, but it just seems like they connect better with more of an audience range. Nintendo just seems entirely too geared for young people. I KNOW I KNOW /receive hell for saying that, but it's like Disney and Dreamworks/Pixar for me. Disney was all about fantasy magic and the enchanted disney kingdom blah blah blah (Nintendo), but when Toy Story came out, it had the whole appeal of animated magic, but it was FUNNY, they had plenty of material that children just wouldn't understand, yet still appealed to them. Pixar films and the Shrek series are movies that I can enjoy and not feel "kiddish" for watching.

I don't know how you could be a fan of a Nintendo series of old and not appreciate what Nintendo has been able to deliver. Where other developers have struggled to take their frachises to new levels, Nintendo time and time again succeeds (moving franchises to the realm of 3D as well as keeping their gameplay fresh).  Playing Metroid Prime was incredible to me, not because it was a FPS that I could compare to all the other FPS I had played and eventually gotten bored with (Half-Life 2, I'm looking at you - story isn't my motivation for games, it's the fun factor), but because it felt exactly like a Metroid game only now I had a glorious 3D perspective into that world.  I find it hard to believe how anyone could claim that Nintendo has done more harm than good with their franchises.

As for the other bit, I'm 25 and haven't felt kiddish for enjoying a good movie or a good game.  I find it sad a lot of people can't say the same.  That says more to me about your vanity and need to impress others than anything about a particular game or movie.

Surprised how many people have said Bethesda here. They're my favorite RPG maker now, although that isn't saying much sinec I don't like any RPGs in the first place.

I'll just harp one more time on the fact that openness/interactivity is in direct opposition to story telling, and Bethesda is yet another excellent case to prove the point. Oblivion and especially Morrowind are the most open ended RPGs I've ever played, and they also happen to be the least coherent in terms of storyline.

You're all going to have to pick one or the other, I think. People seem to use the term "linear game" as a pejorative, but this also allows developers to tell a story. Do you want open games, or story driven games? Because the more open games get, the less story driven they will become.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

Surprised how many people have said Bethesda here. They're my favorite RPG maker now, although that isn't saying much sinec I don't like any RPGs in the first place.

I'll just harp one more time on the fact that openness/interactivity is in direct opposition to story telling, and Bethesda is yet another excellent case to prove the point. Oblivion and especially Morrowind are the most open ended RPGs I've ever played, and they also happen to be the least coherent in terms of storyline.

You're all going to have to pick one or the other, I think. People seem to use the term "linear game" as a pejorative, but this also allows developers to tell a story. Do you want open games, or story driven games? Because the more open games get, the less story driven they will become.

Or you can strike a nice medium like BioWare, you story-hatin' cat-mod.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Bodhesatva said:

I'll just harp one more time on the fact that openness/interactivity is in direct opposition to story telling, and Bethesda is yet another excellent case to prove the point. Morrowind and even Oblivion are the most open ended RPGs I've ever played, and they also happen to be the less coherent in terms of storyline.

Thas exactly why I dont like them although I did enjoy morrowind. I just dont belive a sandbox experience and a complex well told narative have to be mutually exclusive. There is a balance that can be met to please both player preferences.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

What interactivity?  There were no real consequences for anything you did in Oblivion.  At worst you go to jail, but most of the time you could just steal a bunch of stuff and no one would ever know.  How dull can a game get?  An RPG game with no real consequences or results for your actions has no purpose.  Why not just sit there and move stuff around on your computer desk?

As far as the actual gameplay goes, the dungeons were repetitive, the combat system was awful and dull, and the world was an empty lifeless mass of green.... except those damn wolves.  

naznatips said:

Edit: fine, you admitted you were wrong. Let's just move on.

@Griffin:

1) You are basing your opinion on Valve as a company off an EA port of a PC game. Good show sir.

2) How can you possibly own an online DS game and not know what a friend code is?

1) The problems i have with the game have nothing to do with with the fact that EA ported it.  The porting was also pretty good, i counted less then 5 slowdowns during the entire game, and thats including the Episodes. 

2) I do not know how to hook up a wi-fi connection, i have tried to do it and i cannot get it to work.  So if the friend code is like that wii code you all have i do not know how to get it.

naznatips said:
Bodhesatva said:

What interactivity? There were no real consequences for anything you did in Oblivion. At worst you go to jail, but most of the time you could just steal a bunch of stuff and no one would ever know. How dull can a game get? An RPG game with no real consequences or results for your actions has no purpose. Why not just sit there and move stuff around on your computer desk?

As far as the actual gameplay goes, the dungeons were repetitive, the combat system was awful and dull, and the world was an empty lifeless mass of green.... except those damn wolves.

Okay, that one got a genuine LOL out of me.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Bodhesatva said:

Or you can strike a nice medium like BioWare, you story-hatin' cat-mod.

You're right, I phrased that wrong. I didn't mean it has to be 100 percent story, 0 percent interactivity or 100 percent interactivity, 0 percent story, with nothing in between -- I only meant to say that one comes at the sacrifice of the other. Using that simple math again,  you could have 60/40 interactivity/story, or 70/30, or 10/90, or whatever. 

The point is, you can't have 100/100. You sacrifice one for the other.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva:

You're right, I phrased that wrong. I didn't mean it has to be 100 percent story, 0 percent interactivity or 100 percent interactivity, 0 percent story, with nothing in between -- I only meant to say that one comes at the sacrifice of the other. Using that simple math again,  you could have 60/40 interactivity/story, or 70/30, or 10/90, or whatever. 

The point is, you can't have 100/100. You sacrifice one for the other.

And if you sacrifice fun for either of them you lose.