By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - BioWare: Is the Wii Actually Gaming?

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/bioware-is-the-wii-actually-gaming/?biz=1

There's no question that Nintendo's Wii has been a disruptive force in the video game industry. They've taken a different path and it's worked wonders for them, but can the Wii actually be considered gaming?

Posted by James Brightman on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

As part of a lengthy sit-down interview with BioWare heads Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, GameDaily BIZ asked about the future of video games and if storytelling/narrative really will be the driving force to elevate games as a medium.

As a developer that strives to create epic adventures like Mass Effect, naturally narrative is something the company is going to focus on. But what about the Wii? Many of the more casual Wii titles lack narrative in the traditional sense.

"...those kinds of experiences are much more like a toy experience. They're playing, together or not, but you're not 'gaming' anymore," argued Zeschuk. "If gaming is defined by story, then generally Wii may not be."

Muzyka on the other hand thinks Wii games are very much gaming. "When you look at a moment to moment experience what a player does on a Wii game, it's different, lighter, and more toy-like. But there's also a narrative between the players outside the game and kind of fulfills the same things games do. Games are 'toys' in the sense that they're fun," he said.

With BioWare working on its first DS game, a Sonic RPG, will the developer soon look to the Wii as well? Ray and Greg were coy about it, but Ray noted that "We'll only deliver something if we feel it's really quality, that's the key."

The rest of the interview delves into games as art, the mainstream press in the wake of the Mass Effect debacle, BioWare Austin's approach to the MMO market, among other things. We highly recommend that you check it out.

Around the Network

Ouch.  Greg that hurts.

This just in: Board games are no longer games.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Muzyka on the other hand thinks Wii games are very much gaming. "When you look at a moment to moment experience what a player does on a Wii game, it's different, lighter, and more toy-like. But there's also a narrative between the players outside the game and kind of fulfills the same things games do. Games are 'toys' in the sense that they're fun," he said.

There ya go Muzyka. You're my boy, blue!

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I knew it wasn't gaming...you all got suckered in to playing with toys not videogames...haha!

Seriously, there is a lot of generalization on the part Greg Zeschuk with his statements. While it may be true for some games (wii play for example)...in general Wii is gaming...Its just not as good as ps360 gaming in my opinion...

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Ouch. Greg that hurts.

Meh. I think you just said that to give Wii fanboys a negative perception of the article, and stir them up again. I shall also prod the hive.

Hey, Wii owners, he said storys make gaming.

He also didn't know that Fire Emblem was on the Wii. In fact, he seemed to think the Wii only has one game on it, Wii Sports.

Get hem. 

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

what is this with all these stupid ass people making statements like this?

if it is anything that IS gaming it is the Wii not the last gen xbox360 or ps3

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

nvm

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

I never in my wildest dreams thought that the Wii would be so successful people would feel the need to completely redefine what gaming means just to try and discount the Wii.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

My biggest fanboy dream is to have Bioware return RPGs to their roots with Wii. RPGs (prior to computer games) used to be an oppurtunity to have a bunch of friends over, drink, eat and have a good time. Once they become computer games they became solitary experiences as only one person can play at a time.

Of course online let's you play with/against your friends but that's no where's close to having a bunch of them over and playing together.

The wiimote is a good substitute for a mouse and for the first time in history you can have 4 people with mouse-like controllers playing on the same screen at the same time.

Give me a Buldar's gate/Neverwinters Night style game where you can play alone, online or with friends over controling their own characters on the fly and I'll never need to buy another game again. (at least until the expansion pack and sequels come out)

Edit: And THAT folks would be real gaming.  A game is meant to be played with others, to bring people together not alone in your room...  That's not gaming, that's more like watching a movie, by yourself.