By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Regarding Switch vs PS4 in terms of power, it's complicated.

In terms of raw horsepower, on paper, Switch sits closer to PS3/360 than PS4/XBO. However, horsepower alone doesn't tell the whole story, as the Switch has access to technology 10 years more modern than PS3/360, so it is massively more efficient.

It's like if you have a plane and a bus that have the same horsepower, but the bus can get stuck in traffic while the plane just flies straight to its destination.

This enables Switch to close the gap with PS4 enough that it can run the same games, just at lower settings. It also helps that the Switch has 3.2Gb of RAM available to games, which is closer to the 5GB or so of PS4/XBO than the less than 500MB PS3 and 360 have.

Of course, being a portable machine brings with it certain limitations as well; particularly memory bandwidth, which is the Switch's weakest link, so you have this halfway house of 7th gen horsepower and bandwidth with 8th gen GPU features and RAM capacity.

For me the Switch is way, way, way more ps3 like than ps4.  I'm always surprised people think the switch runs with the ps4.  The ps4 produced GoW, Horizon, ghost, etc....  all well beyond what the switch can do.  The switch is a ps3.

Switch has more than 6 times as much RAM as the PS3 and supports GPU features a decade ahead.

The graphical setup of the PS3 is rooted in circa 2005, whereas the Switch supports practically every 8th gen technique PS4 does, and even some newer ones, just with less raw grunt for pushing high pixel and polygon counts or bandwidth intensive effects.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

For me the Switch is way, way, way more ps3 like than ps4.  I'm always surprised people think the switch runs with the ps4.  The ps4 produced GoW, Horizon, ghost, etc....  all well beyond what the switch can do.  The switch is a ps3.

Switch has more than 6 times as much RAM as the PS3 and supports GPU features a decade ahead.

The graphical setup of the PS3 is rooted in circa 2005, whereas the Switch supports practically every 8th gen technique PS4 does, and even some newer ones, just with less raw grunt for pushing high pixel and polygon counts or bandwidth intensive effects.

Sure.  And the Switch has MB of 25 gb/s while the ps4 has 176 gb/s.  All the new tech in the world doesn't close that gap.  Which is why output on the switch doesn't touch the ps4.  And the S2 won't touch the ps5.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Sure.  And the Switch has MB of 25 gb/s while the ps4 has 176 gb/s.  All the new tech in the world doesn't close that gap.  Which is why output on the switch doesn't touch the ps4.  And the S2 won't touch the ps5.  

Did I ever say the Switch was on par with the PS4? Or that the Switch 2 will be on par with the PS5? I never did, because that's obviously not the case.

It's not "a PS3" though, it has substantial advantages over PS3 in memory capacity and GPU technology which both fall closer to the PS4.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Did I ever say the Switch was on par with the PS4? Or that the Switch 2 will be on par with the PS5? I never did, because that's obviously not the case.

It's not "a PS3" though, it has substantial advantages over PS3 in memory capacity and GPU technology which both fall closer to the PS4.

I never said the switch was exactly a ps3.  I said it's output is way closer to a ps3 than a ps4...  which is true. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

I never said the switch was a ps3.  I said it's output is way closer to a ps3 than a ps4...  which is true.

Chrkeller said:

For me the Switch is way, way, way more ps3 like than ps4.  I'm always surprised people think the switch runs with the ps4.  The ps4 produced GoW, Horizon, ghost, etc....  all well beyond what the switch can do.  The switch is a ps3.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

I never said the switch was a ps3.  I said it's output is way closer to a ps3 than a ps4...  which is true.

Chrkeller said:

For me the Switch is way, way, way more ps3 like than ps4.  I'm always surprised people think the switch runs with the ps4.  The ps4 produced GoW, Horizon, ghost, etc....  all well beyond what the switch can do.  The switch is a ps3.

Sure.  And you are going to ignore my first sentence?  The "way more like a ps3?"  You shouldn't splice my post and ignore half of it.  My point was clear.  Output is more ps3 than ps4.  

A 4050 has newer chips than a 3090.....  anyone who knows gaming is taking the 3090.  Raw horsepower matters.

Edit

Hell I'd probably take a 1080 ti over a 4050....  new architecture I don't think is as game changing as people think it is.  

Yes the switch has newer chips.  But it's memory bandwidth sits close to the ps3, no where near the ps4...  hence output is way, way closer to the ps3 than ps4.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 17 May 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Sure.  And you are going to ignore my first sentence?  The "way more like a ps3?"  You shouldn't splice my post and ignore half of it.  My point was clear.  Output is more ps3 than ps4.  

A 4050 has newer chips than a 3090.....  anyone who knows gaming is taking the 3090.  Raw horsepower matters.

Edit

Hell I'd probably take a 1080 ti over a 4050....  new architecture I don't think is as game changing as people it is.  

1080 Ti is faster than 4050 and has 11 GB VRAM (4050 still doesn't have desktop version though) only downside is not having DLSS.

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Edit

Hell I'd probably take a 1080 ti over a 4050....  new architecture I don't think is as game changing as people think it is.  

Yes the switch has newer chips.  But it's memory bandwidth sits close to the ps3, no where near the ps4...  hence output is way, way closer to the ps3 than ps4.  

You literally said word for word 'it's a PS3' then claimed you didn't.

Switch is closer to PS3 in bandwidth. It is closer to PS4 in features and RAM capacity. It sits partway between the two, as I said.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Edit

Switch is closer to PS3 in bandwidth. It is closer to PS4 in features and RAM capacity. It sits partway between the two, as I said.

Yes.  I said it was way more like a ps3 than ps4.  Between the 2, it is a ps3.  I didn't mean it was 100% a ps3 with zero differences.  I believe you are smart enough to know that was my point.

Depends on how you define part way.  It isn't a ps3.5.  At best it is a ps3.2.  The switch is far closer to the ps3 than ps4, as a said.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Yes.  I said it was way more like a ps3 than ps4.  Between the 2, it is a ps3.  I didn't mean it was 100% a ps3 with zero differences.  I believe you are smart enough to know that was my point.

Depends on how you define part way.  It isn't a ps3.5.  At best it is a ps3.2.  The switch is far closer to the ps3 than ps4, as a said.  

I would tend to disagree; the fact it plays many of the same games as PS4 just with lower settings puts it more akin to PS4/XBO in my eyes as most of the core graphical techniques of 8th gen games such as PBR, SSR, GPU accelerated particles, TSSAA, etc are present on Switch, stuff rarely or never seen on PS3 and 360.