By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 sold 160 Million- Jim rayn (SIE President and CEO)

-Adonis- said:

All the top people in the companies make spins. If you think Microsoft and Nintendo are different, go back to Earth.

In this case, we don't believe anyone and we stop believing the figures given by all the companies.

There are legal obligations in financial calls and reports, so it's very easy to determine what is fact and what is spin.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network
Phenomajp13 said:
-Adonis- said:

I think vgchartz knows PS2's numbers better than Sony themself

Sony themselves said 155.1 million ;)

As March 2012. Now they said 160 million yesterday.

If you want to play the fool, do it better.

RolStoppable said:
-Adonis- said:

All the top people in the companies make spins. If you think Microsoft and Nintendo are different, go back to Earth.

In this case, we don't believe anyone and we stop believing the figures given by all the companies.

There are legal obligations in financial calls and reports, so it's very easy to determine what is fact and what is spin.

I remember the admin of this website commenting on a financial report by Sony saying he had doubt about it. So it seems it's never enough when it comes from Sony. It's rather strange. Biased much ? That's a rhetorical question.

-Adonis- said:
RolStoppable said:

I remember the admin of this website commenting on a financial report by Sony saying he had doubt about it. So it seems it's never enough when it comes from Sony. It's rather strange. Biased much ? That's a rhetorical question.

Sounds like a made-up story, because you've named no specifics at all.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network
Evilms said:

Did you change your mind now? Because Zhuge's conclusion is exactly the same as mine.

RolStoppable said:

(...)

Exact PS2 lifetime figures remain unknown and still fall in the same range as calculated many years ago. This is essentially non-news and also has no influence on any discussions regarding Switch vs. PS2 lifetime sales, because a rounded 160m figure has been the commonly acknowledged and accepted target all along. This means the point of contention regarding Ryan's comment in a podcast is not whether the PS2 reached 160m or not, but rather whether or not to trust Jim Ryan's words blindly.

RolStoppable said:
-Adonis- said:

Sounds like a made-up story, because you've named no specifics at all.

Not at all, some people on the board bring this up when it happened. You can play ignorant and say that Nintendo is the word of God and Sony are the bad guys. I don't care, but don't call me a liar when all I'm doing is quoting facts.

-Adonis- said:

Not at all, some people on the board bring this up when it happened. You can play ignorant and say that Nintendo is the word of God and Sony are the bad guys. I don't care, but don't call me a liar when all I'm doing is quoting facts.

If it isn't a made-up story, bring the facts to the table.

RolStoppable said:
-Adonis- said:

If it isn't a made-up story, bring the facts to the table.

Oh yes of course, do you think I've been recording vgchartz articles every day for 20 years ? I've got better things to do.

What I say happened. Some people on the forum had hallucinated the fact that the admin would say that and had pointed the finger at him for it. I think it was during the early years of the PS4. We all know the admin is an Xbox fanboy by the way. He has the right to be one, but stop pretending to be objective and neutral for two minutes.

RolStoppable said:
Evilms said:

Did you change your mind now? Because Zhuge's conclusion is exactly the same as mine.

RolStoppable said:

(...)

Exact PS2 lifetime figures remain unknown and still fall in the same range as calculated many years ago. This is essentially non-news and also has no influence on any discussions regarding Switch vs. PS2 lifetime sales, because a rounded 160m figure has been the commonly acknowledged and accepted target all along. This means the point of contention regarding Ryan's comment in a podcast is not whether the PS2 reached 160m or not, but rather whether or not to trust Jim Ryan's words blindly.

I don't think you understood ZhugeEx's tweet, it's really crazy at this level.

ZhugeEX has always said that the PS2 couldn't be 155 million and that it was probably closer to 160 than 155, he just tweeted to reaffirm that and explain to people who are still in denial like you.