By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

the-pi-guy said:

Any opinion whatsoever will have someone upset, especially when you add in misunderstandings. It has absolutely nothing to do with Karl Marx. 

Right wingers have been trying to get stores closed because of t-shirts with rainbows on them. And accusing people of groomers for all kinds of nothing reasons. 

Absolutely none of this is a left-wing thing. Not exclusively left wing, not even predominantly left wing. 

It's not a left wing thing, it's how a disturbing number of people, across the political spectrum are like. 

There are even completely different factions of people who call themselves left wingers, who are practically diametrically opposed on most policies. 

If I'm honest, there are views I hold that I will not vocalize and especially wouldn't not put on a public forum in fear someone at my work place would cry foul.

I don't think left wing cancel culture is a myth.  In fact many polls are wrong because many are not comfortable with voicing an honest view.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
BFR said:
zorg1000 said:

Who are the examples of celebrities who were unjustly cancelled for having conservative views?

Gina Carano is one example.

Ah yes, conservative views like….checks notes……downplaying the Holocaust?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Chrkeller said:

I don't think left wing cancel culture is a myth. 

My comment is about the opposite. That right wingers want to cancel people too. 

Chrkeller said:
the-pi-guy said:

Any opinion whatsoever will have someone upset, especially when you add in misunderstandings. It has absolutely nothing to do with Karl Marx. 

Right wingers have been trying to get stores closed because of t-shirts with rainbows on them. And accusing people of groomers for all kinds of nothing reasons. 

Absolutely none of this is a left-wing thing. Not exclusively left wing, not even predominantly left wing. 

It's not a left wing thing, it's how a disturbing number of people, across the political spectrum are like. 

There are even completely different factions of people who call themselves left wingers, who are practically diametrically opposed on most policies. 

If I'm honest, there are views I hold that I will not vocalize and especially wouldn't not put on a public forum in fear someone at my work place would cry foul.

I don't think left wing cancel culture is a myth.  In fact many polls are wrong because many are not comfortable with voicing an honest view.  

Ok, maybe it’s not a myth but it’s certainly overblown, especially in relation to right wing cancel culture like boycotting Target for selling merchandise celebrating Pride Month, burning Carhartt clothing because they had a mask mandate for employees during a pandemic or shooting bud light cans with an assault rifle because they dared to have a commercial with a trans person or the massive amount of laws being passed at the state level to discriminate against women, minorities & LGBT people. 

Nobody is getting fired for sharing “fiscally conservative” views like supply side economics, deregulation, balanced budgets & promoting free trade. It’s all been on the “socially conservative” side like doing, saying or posting racist, transphobic & sexist things.

I think people need to sit down and ask themselves, “are people getting cancelled for being conservative or are they being cancelled for being bigots & sex pests?”

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

I don't think left wing cancel culture is a myth. 

My comment is about the opposite. That right wingers want to cancel people too. 

No doubt.  Which I never understood.  Don't like something don't buy it.  Seems easy.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Chrkeller said:

Ok, maybe it’s not a myth but it’s certainly overblown, especially in relation to right wing cancel culture like boycotting Target for selling merchandise celebrating Pride Month, burning Carhartt clothing because they had a mask mandate for employees during a pandemic or shooting bud light cans with an assault rifle because they dared to have a commercial with a trans person or the massive amount of laws being passed at the state level to discriminate against women, minorities & LGBT people. 

Nobody is getting fired for sharing “fiscally conservative” views like supply side economics, deregulation, balanced budgets & promoting free trade. It’s all been on the “socially conservative” side like doing, saying or posting racist, transphobic & sexist things.

I think people need to sit down and ask themselves, “are people getting cancelled for being conservative or are they being cancelled for being bigots & sex pests?”

Maybe.  Maybe not.  All I know is it isn't worth the risk.  So I largely keep views to myself.

Best example is Girlfriend reviews.  They got hammered for "daring" to review hogwarts legacy.  They have an entire video around all the backlash and false accusations. 

So based on their well documented experience, I would say it isn't overblown but is real.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

BFR said:

It's very simple, when it comes to one of the biggest issues of today (and not some court ruling of 40+ years ago - heck, MAGA did not exist before 2016), Reagan Republicans (RR) support giving aid to Ukraine and MAGA Republicans (MR) do not. That is the major difference between these two factions.

I’m not saying they are exactly the same, the point is that Trump & MAGA didn’t just appear out of thin air, it’s the natural result of half a century of using dog whistles about things like states rights, crime, welfare queens, family values & school choice to appeal to racists & the Christian right while scaring white moderates into believing their way of life was under attack.

As the country has gotten more diverse, less religious & more tolerant, the rhetoric had to be ratcheted up and now a large portion of the Republican Party is openly bigoted and actively trying to strip rights from anybody not a straight, white, Christian male.

Chrkeller said:

I decided I want to come back to this.

There are views that I held at my previous job that I wouldn't vocalize on a public forum. My current job, I don't have that fear because I don't think anyone there would ever come across my Facebook posts, and I generally don't share enough information on other forums to be identifiable. 

Despite the fact that I'm very big about having conversation about anything, there are still things I don't talk about on social media, for fear of familial retribution. 

There are plenty of left and right wing sites that I at least look at, where I know saying certain things will get me banned. 

Chrkeller said:
zorg1000 said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.  All I know is it isn't worth the risk.  So I largely keep views to myself.

Best example is Girlfriend reviews.  They got hammered for "daring" to review hogwarts legacy.  They have an entire video around all the backlash and false accusations. 

So based on their well documented experience, I would say it isn't overblown but is real.  

I suppose I’m not as plugged in to social media/influencers because I have no idea what that is but in terms of mean/hateful comments, the entire history of the internet has been filled with people being assholes/bullies so I don’t really consider that “cancel culture”.

BFR said:
zorg1000 said:

Who are the examples of celebrities who were unjustly cancelled for having conservative views?

Gina Carano is one example.

I'll add Roseanne Barr.
I don't agree with what she's said, but I think the result is much worse and sadder than the direction this could have gone. Because a humbled Roseanne Barr who is allowed to express humility and is rewarded/incentivized to get the psychiatric and psychological help she needs, is ultimately better for her and her fans than ostracism. As it stands, she's been made into a voice for the most insane part of the extremists who reward and encourage her insanity.

And if I may rant on some of the off-topic stuff said in this thread.

I'll also add that just because a person did some sexually devious thing doesn't mean they should be banished from society - but rather they should be encouraged to accept a prescribed set of consequences, and then be allowed to return, even if with probation. The #MeToo movement was necessary because there was a lot of shit that needed to be fixed. But the mob backed punishments (as opposed to the legal punishments) were unjust. Should guys like Louis CK and Kevin Spacey have been eternally damned because they misunderstood their boundaries (perhaps alcohol fuelled) and engaged in misconduct? These guys are a far cry from Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby, but the mob burned them with the same torch on the same stake (I think Louis CK has since escaped). I think responses have to be measured.

It has to be added that this mob response are the same stupid people who attack and harass actors, directors, musicians, and producers over disagreements on a work of art - mostly trivial - but these people have only one volume, maximum. Because the mob isn't led by their best and brightest, but those who best embody the values of their lowest common denominator; that's why all these anti-fans of recent Star Wars films, Rings of Power, Game of Thrones, Witcher, various singers/bands (mostly black women), books/authors of books about sex and race, etc... seem like a bunch of fucking idiots to everyone who isn't brainwashed by mob-mentality. I brought this up because this same dynamic of stupidity that's judge and jury of celebrities right now. That's why celebrities probably need legal rights and legal freedoms that protect them against the stupidity of an enraged mob with the power to destroy their lives.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.