By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

CNN fact checked night 3 of the RNC

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/17/politics/fact-check-night-3-republican-national-convention/index.html

It's quite a list:

- Vance’s misleading claim about Trump and the invasion of Iraq
- Kimberly Guilfoyle claims that ‘Trump handed Biden a booming economy’
- RNC video makes outdated claim about US wages
- RNC chairman’s false claim about the 2020 economy
- Newt Gingrich on the war in Afghanistan under Trump
- Former Trump intel chief misleadingly says ‘Taliban is back’
- Peter Navarro’s false claims about his prosecution for contempt of Congress
- Florida Republican’s false claim about electric tanks
- Florida lawmaker’s claim about extremism training in the military
- Burgum claims Biden has waged a ‘war on energy’
- Rep. Ronny Jackson’s false claim of ‘record-high inflation’
- Rep. Mike Waltz’s false claim about spy balloons
- RNC chairman’s false claim about Russia’s nuclear missiles near Cuba
- RNC video falsely claims there was peace in the Middle East under Trump
- RNC video cites right-wing think tank without mentioning it was doing so

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
KLAMarine said:

And thorough study so we know how to proceed on an issue is important lest we end up doing more harm than good...

I don’t really even know how to respond at this point, it’s like you’re just arguing to argue.

Me: Collaboration & compromise are important but how do black people unite with the people who refuse to acknowledge they are disproportionately targeted my police

You: Republicans refuse to acknowledge it?

Me: yes, refuse to acknowledge or do nothing about it. Democrats introduced a bill that got essentially no Republican support.

You: Republicans introduced their own bill

Me & others: the bill was terrible and took out almost every meaningful aspect of the democrat bill

you: it doesn’t matter if the bill sucked, they did something

It’s clear to anyone who pays attention to this type of stuff that Democrats wanted to fix the issue and Republicans had no intention of doing anything about it. Republicans released a counter proposal that they knew would get no support from Democrats and knowing that most people don’t pay attention to the details of bills, this was good enough to show that they “tried to do something”.

Perhaps Democrats shouldn't have started with a bill they knew would get no support form Republicans.

Gonna fault Republicans for passing a doomed-to-fail bill, be sure to do the same for Democrats. You consider yourself impartial, don't you?

KLAMarine said:
badskywalker said:

Probably because any actual change was completely removed from the republican bill. The only positive the republican bill had was it encouraged the use of body cam footage, though we've already seen how often those are just 'accidently' turned off when something happens.

The republican bill removed any additional limitations to qualified immunity, one of the major sticking points of the bill. It also removed restrictions on chockeholds and no-knock warrants. The bill went from banning cops from these things to just saying, please do your best not to do these things, but there is no change in the consequences if you do these things.

zorg1000 said:

The Tim Scott proposal doesn’t sound like a good faith compromise, especially in regards to black people being disproportionately targeted, here is the summary:

This bill addresses policies and issues regarding policing practices and law enforcement accountability. The bill funds state and local grants, incentivizes state and local reporting on the use of certain policing practices, creates new federal offenses for certain misconduct, establishes a commission to study the conditions affecting Black men and boys, and establishes best practices and training requirements.

The Democrat House bill mentions ways to “prevent and remedy racial profiling by law enforcement” while the Republican Senate bill will “establish a commission to study the conditions affecting black men and boys”

To me that sounds like shifting the blame from the people doing the racial profiling to the people who are being racially profiled.

The merits of the bill is beside the point. zorg1000 said Republicans "refuse to do anything about it" when at the time, Republicans actually did try to pass something and Democrats voted against those efforts. That's not a refusal to do anything about it, that's a failure for both parties to agree on a course of action.

This.  People do not and cannot compromise anymore.  The all or nothing mentality is the problem.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

KLAMarine said:
zorg1000 said:

I don’t really even know how to respond at this point, it’s like you’re just arguing to argue.

Me: Collaboration & compromise are important but how do black people unite with the people who refuse to acknowledge they are disproportionately targeted my police

You: Republicans refuse to acknowledge it?

Me: yes, refuse to acknowledge or do nothing about it. Democrats introduced a bill that got essentially no Republican support.

You: Republicans introduced their own bill

Me & others: the bill was terrible and took out almost every meaningful aspect of the democrat bill

you: it doesn’t matter if the bill sucked, they did something

It’s clear to anyone who pays attention to this type of stuff that Democrats wanted to fix the issue and Republicans had no intention of doing anything about it. Republicans released a counter proposal that they knew would get no support from Democrats and knowing that most people don’t pay attention to the details of bills, this was good enough to show that they “tried to do something”.

Perhaps Democrats shouldn't have started with a bill they knew would get no support form Republicans.

Gonna fault Republicans for passing a doomed-to-fail bill, be sure to do the same for Democrats. You consider yourself impartial, don't you?

No, I’m not impartial, none of us are but I feel like in this thread I’ve done a pretty good job of backing up my views with data, sources & quotes which can’t be said for some of the people I’ve argued with.

As we went over, the democrat bill actually addressed the issue at hand, the republican bill didn’t. A good faith compromise is not to strip out all the notable pieces and replace them with “a commission to study”.

Look at how the two parties operate, in general the basic argument is over the size & role of the federal government. The Democratic Party believes that the federal government can be functional and fix problems while the Republican Party argues that the federal government is too big and wasteful and needs to be stripped down.

This means that Democrats have an actual incentive to govern and pass meaningful legislation, if they don’t get stuff done then their basic argument of being functional and fixing problems goes out the window. Republicans don’t have this incentive, their argument is that big government isn’t functional so their incentive is obstruction, their goal is to water down or outright block things from passing.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Biden's debt forgiveness program got blocked yet again, this time in an appeals court. Almost like his debt forgiveness program is illegal and he is overreaching his executive powers.

Bud Light slips to number 3 in the US behind Modelo.

Interesting times.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

zorg1000 said:
KLAMarine said:

No, I’m not impartial, none of us are but I feel like in this thread I’ve done a pretty good job of backing up my views with data, sources & quotes which can’t be said for some of the people I’ve argued with.

As we went over, the democrat bill actually addressed the issue at hand, the republican bill didn’t. A good faith compromise is not to strip out all the notable pieces and replace them with “a commission to study”.

Look at how the two parties operate, in general the basic argument is over the size & role of the federal government. The Democratic Party believes that the federal government can be functional and fix problems while the Republican Party argues that the federal government is too big and wasteful and needs to be stripped down.

This means that Democrats have an actual incentive to govern and pass meaningful legislation, if they don’t get stuff done then their basic argument of being functional and fixing problems goes out the window. Republicans don’t have this incentive, their argument is that big government isn’t functional so their incentive is obstruction, their goal is to water down or outright block things from passing.

Why are liberals afraid of the study?  Why does collecting meaningful data scare them?

Genuinely curious.  As a scientist collecting data and execution of robust science plans seems reasonable to me.  

If I were given one hour to save the planet, I would spend 59 minutes defining the problem and one minute resolving it,” Albert Einstein said.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zorg1000 said:

Why are liberals afraid of the study?  Why does collecting meaningful data scare them?

Genuinely curious.  As a scientist collecting data and execution of robust science plans seems reasonable to me.  

If I were given one hour to save the planet, I would spend 59 minutes defining the problem and one minute resolving it,” Albert Einstein said.

We aren’t? I already said earlier that the study in and of itself is fine, the two issues I have are:

1. Taking out various provisions about accountability & training requirements and replacing them with this commission. If they wanted to add this to the bill that would be fine, taking out the main parts of the bill however is not.

2. The way it’s worded in the summary sounds like victim blaming to me, why go with “study the conditions affecting black men” instead of “study the conditions causing police to use excessive force & racial profiling”.

As for the quote, you’re acting like this is a brand new issue that nobody has put any thought into and are coming up with knee jerk reactions. It’s a problem that has been going on for decades, you don’t think there have been countless studies over that time evaluating ways to remedy the issue?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Chrkeller said:

We aren’t? I already said earlier that the study in and of itself is fine, the two issues I have are:

1. Taking out various provisions about accountability & training requirements and replacing them with this commission. If they wanted to add this to the bill that would be fine, taking out the main parts of the bill however is not.

2. The way it’s worded in the summary sounds like victim blaming to me, why go with “study the conditions affecting black men” instead of “study the conditions causing police to use excessive force & racial profiling”.

As for the quote, you’re acting like this is a brand new issue that nobody has put any thought into and are coming up with knee jerk reactions. It’s a problem that has been going on for decades, you don’t think there have been countless studies over that time evaluating ways to remedy the issue?

More data is always good.  And people being afraid of data is a curious reaction.  I don't quite understand why someone would vote down data collection to further understanding.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zorg1000 said:

More data is always good.  And people being afraid of data is a curious reaction.  I don't quite understand why someone would vote down data collection to further understanding.

Data has diminishing returns. If I have a hundred studies on a given system, a single additional one doesn't honestly add much. What happened here is one side was trying to actually do something about what has already been studied and the other side decided they just rather wait. If you pass the edited bill without any of the actions suggested, then you lose the chance doing something about it now.