By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Stormgate: A new generation of RTS

God damn this game is looking good! Stormgate is in my top 5 most anticipated games and we just had a huge news drop! Seeing that Frost Giant is basically just made up of former Blizzard RTS devs (hehe, Frost Giant/Blizzard. I see what they did there) I can't say I'm surprised that Stormgate heavily looks like StarCraft with some Warcraft 3 flavor in there like a Paladin hero unit that I'll show below, and they've said the game is sci-fi fantasy. 

The second faction, the Infernals (not Zerg) were on full display with a hands-on preview by IGN with a LOT of new gameplay. I'm loving what I'm seeing aside from the unit portraits being static rather than animated. Hopefully it's something that will be added further in development. 

Hopefully we get more gameplay from the human Vanguard from IGN going forward. There will be a new trailer at The Game Awards next week, so I'm guessing we'll see the third faction reveal and possible release date. Frost Giant said, "This may be our biggest moment since announcing Stormgate at Summer Game Fest last year.  . . we're excited to share that a new Stormgate trailer will be presented on stage at The Game Awards on December 7. 

We have no way of knowing where we'll be in the show (immediately following Grand Theft Auto VI, maybe?), but what we do know is that we'll be sharing some of the first footage of our 3P co-op mode as well as some new 100% in-engine cinematics.

Please tune in and show your support for the future of RTS!"

Leaning into the Warcraft 3 side of the game, Frost Giant revealed today that the next Closed Beta will be on December 5th and that playtesters will get their hands on the games first co-op hero, code-named Blockade. They say he's a sci-fi Paladin wielding a powerful hammer.

"Blockade's diverse toolkit allows him to leap into combat, perform a devastating spin-to-win attack, heal nearby allies, and even teleport wherever he's needed to save the day. Play him as damage-dealer, frontline tank, or clutch healer--it's up to you."

Ngl, he looks like Reinhardt from Overwatch

There's a Kickstarter happening on December 5th as well that will allow early adopters guaranteed access to the beta and also access to the Collector's Edition. Frost Giant made it clear that they have the necessary funding to release the game, and that this Kickstarter is purely for "extras" that many have requested. 

The CE will include a Vulcan statue from the human faction, Vanguard.

Other than that, Frost Giant added that their engineering director Andrew Sabri "recently sat down with the tech gurus at Digital Foundry to geek out over Stormgate and SnowPlay--the powerful technology that powers its unmatched responsiveness, rollback netcode, and more. Tune in to Digital Foundry's YouTube channel on Sunday, December 10 to watch."

And finally, "if you're attending DreamHack Atlanta on December 17 (or watching online), you'll be witness to history in the making--the first-ever live Stormgate showmatches!" so I'll definitely be watching this event live!

Anyone else excited for Stormgate? With Age of Empires going strong, a Command & Conquer spiritual successor releasing soon called Tempest Rising, and Stormgate, we seem to be in a bit of an RTS renaissance and I'm loving it!

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 29 November 2023

Around the Network

Huge news dump by Frost Giant when their Kickstarter went live. Here's some great info that was released:

The legend himself, Chris Metzen, apparently helped with the writing of the games story, which automatically puts my anticipation at an all time high!

The underlying tech Frost Giant customized from Unreal Engine is called Snowplay. Can't wait to see how Rollback Netcode works in an RTS. Also 32 player support and allowing for thousands of units to be on a single map.

The 4 pillars of Stormgate. The in-game editor for Custom Games reminds me of old school StarCraft and Warcraft. And it's built into the game rather than the editor being a separate client.

Here's the full video where they break everything down!

it looks interesting indeed.
Never been any good at playing rts games but I often like the single player modes and custom games.
However, I do not have a PC that can master any power so I probably wont play it. But I do wish some RTS game can spark life in the esport scene. Starcraft 2 is still the best there and it is getting very stale.

A friend of mine is pretty excited for this but I'm more skeptical given the free-to-play model and that it sound like one of those games that won't be nearly complete on release. But I'll still keep my eyes on it and hope for the best.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

A friend of mine is pretty excited for this but I'm more skeptical given the free-to-play model and that it sound like one of those games that won't be nearly complete on release. But I'll still keep my eyes on it and hope for the best.

Yeah the FTP model is my biggest concern. Really the only thing I'll be actually paying for are the campaigns. I love me a great RTS campaign. There's 3 "chapters" confirmed for the Human Vanguard, and I figure it'll be the same for the other 2 factions. 

Stuff like battle passes, cosmetic store, that FTP stuff, I won't be paying any attention to. 

Outside of MMO's, I don't like stories that don't end. So as long as the campaign has a definitive beginning and conclusion, with the competitive and co-op aspects receiving continuous support, then I'll be more than happy. 

Around the Network

To be honest, if I wanted a StarCraft clone I would just play StarCraft. (Which I still do 25 years later.)

I want to see it take on it's own identity and become it's own thing, rather than a copy of something else... The Art Style doesn't instill much confidence, it very much reminds me of the chunky WarCraft 3/Diablo 3 art.

Real Time Strategy is my favorite genre and I suppose what really matters is the gameplay, so I'll keep an eye on this and see how it evolves over time.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

To be honest, if I wanted a StarCraft clone I would just play StarCraft. (Which I still do 25 years later.)

I want to see it take on it's own identity and become it's own thing, rather than a copy of something else... The Art Style doesn't instill much confidence, it very much reminds me of the chunky WarCraft 3/Diablo 3 art.

Real Time Strategy is my favorite genre and I suppose what really matters is the gameplay, so I'll keep an eye on this and see how it evolves over time.

I’m excited that we seem to be heading to be a bit of an RTS renaissance with Stormgate, Age of Mythology Retold, ZeroSpace, and Tempest Rising!

I see what you mean, but the thought of being able to have thousands of units on a single map will allow for have some epic battles.

Frost Giant are being pretty smart with this closed beta of Stormgate allowing select streamers to stream on a specific schedule. At the start of the beta 2 days ago, Asmongold bringing in a huge audience and the next couple of days are swapping between the biggest pro StarCraft and Age of Empires streamers every 4 hours, then ending the beta later today with another huge general streamer in Lirik and closing the day with a new trailer at The Game Awards.

Really getting as many eyes as possible on the game.

Hell, PC Gamer and GamesRadar are making articles on the game now. Whoever is running the marketing at Frost Giant is doing a hell of a job!

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 07 December 2023

A very welcome surprise!

Looks like everyone will get a chance to finally try out Stormgate next month!