By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hogwarts Legacy on Switch finally unvieled

The Switch version of Hogwarts Legacy has long been an enigma; it's very existence was buried in the fine print of the original announcement, and up until a few days before release, there was no footage of it whatsoever. A trailer was finally shown the day before yesterday, but consisted of cutscenes alone, with no actual gameplay.

Given that the game has performance issues even on Xbox Series X, and had to be cut down substantially on PS4 and Xbox One, there were justified concerns that the game was simply beyond the Switch's reach.

Well, we finally have capture of it:

(EDIT: As the original video was deleted, I have replaced it with this one)

It seems to hold up about as well as other "impossible" ports to Switch like Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Dying Light, Hellblade, etc, which is something of a minor mircale in itself as the base game is considerably more demanding than those titles.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 November 2023

Around the Network

The texture downgrades (on pop-ins), and resolution... the fps and microstutter(which seem constant in the video)....
If you have other ways to play this, go that root instead imo.

*edit: surprised so many of the youtube comments seem so positive, mostly mentioning it look great for a impossible port.
         I didnt myself see it that way.

*edit2:  Im not crazy... went to check on PS4 port videos, and that seems drastically better than this.
So like if you have a PS5,PS4/PS4pro,Xbox One X, Series S/X, or a PC able... any of those would be a big improvement in graphics/fluidity.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 12 November 2023

curl-6 said:

The Switch version of Hogwarts Legacy has long been an enigma; it's very existence was buried in the fine print of the original announcement, and up until a few days before release, there was no footage of it whatsoever. A trailer was finally shown the day before yesterday, but consisted of cutscenes alone, with no actual gameplay.

Just that description tells you in general how third parties treat Switch as an afterthought for multiplats despite its dominant industry position lol. Just sad. WB Games clearly never had any intention of trying to get Switch owners excited about buying the game. I didn't even know if it was out or not until I looked it up a few days ago and saw it was coming out this week but I couldn't find any info about it, and well you just told me why, cuz they didn't bother releasing anything until now. Shameful.

Since Switch was an afterthought for them I won't bother paying them money for an afterthought. Maybe if they port one of the other versions to Switch 2 and throw in some goodies and discounted I'll get it next gen. If they had actually made the Switch version from the ground up for the system and released it on time I most likely would have gotten it, being an HP fan and all.

Slownenberg said:
curl-6 said:

Just that description tells you in general how third parties treat Switch as an afterthought for multiplats despite its dominant industry position lol. Just sad. WB Games clearly never had any intention of trying to get Switch owners excited about buying the game. I didn't even know if it was out or not until I looked it up a few days ago and saw it was coming out this week but I couldn't find any info about it, and well you just told me why, cuz they didn't bother releasing anything until now. Shameful.

Since Switch was an afterthought for them I won't bother paying them money for an afterthought. Maybe if they port one of the other versions to Switch 2 and throw in some goodies and discounted I'll get it next gen. If they had actually made the Switch version from the ground up for the system and released it on time I most likely would have gotten it, being an HP fan and all.

I'm watching the video and I don't know how could they have done this game better for Switch than they already did. Doesn't look like a port downscaled, looks like they completely redid all models and textures to run on Switch

Really, you guys sometimes just ask for the impossible 

It's a game that rely heavily on art. It has some of the most beautiful internal spaces, full of details and very well designed/modeled. 

Gameplay is mid and gets boring fast. If you can't play in a good PC or PS5 to see all the details with good graphic configurations I wouldn't recommend it anyway 

It looks ok, but very noticeable downgrade compared to the version I'm used to. Might be ok for a handheld, but docked on a big TV it will be hard on the eyes imo.

Around the Network
Pajderman said:

It looks ok, but very noticeable downgrade compared to the version I'm used to. Might be ok for a handheld, but docked on a big TV it will be hard on the eyes imo.

It looks like a PS3 game which is fair I think considering this is a Switch. I'm more concerned with the loading times, the world is fairly big and you can traverse them quickly while flying. I'm curious to see how fast Switch can render the assets while you're flying 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Slownenberg said:

I'm watching the video and I don't know how could they have done this game better for Switch than they already did. Doesn't look like a port downscaled, looks like they completely redid all models and textures to run on Switch

It's a game that rely heavily on art. It has some of the most beautiful internal spaces, full of details and very well designed/modeled. 

Gameplay is mid and gets boring fast. If you can't play in a good PC or PS5 to see all the details with good graphic configurations I wouldn't recommend it anyway 

Going off the video I'd say there are definitely better looking and better performing games on Switch, so no, yes I do believe a game made for the Switch would look and run better. Also a main thing about my post was that it is coming out many months late with little to no marketing. It's a total afterthought. That's all very different than a game made from the ground up on Switch and coming out same day as the other current systems when was that like 9 months ago?!

You can see the obvious downgrades, esp. resolution, which kind of contrast with the higher quality of the models. Reminds me a bit of ROTR for X360.

Slownenberg said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Going off the video I'd say there are definitely better looking and better performing games on Switch, so no, yes I do believe a game made for the Switch would look and run better. Also a main thing about my post was that it is coming out many months late with little to no marketing. It's a total afterthought. That's all very different than a game made from the ground up on Switch and coming out same day as the other current systems when was that like 9 months ago?!

I'm sure there are games that look better, but sometimes is just a matter of both artstyle and being able to render the world size. Maybe if the game was more colorful and cartoonish it would look better 

The kind of art style was defined already, which rely heavily on being darker, with shades of gray and sepia for the most it's part. This looks gorgeous in a console that can handle more complex assets, but won't look as good on Switch

It's the same reason why most of western third parties AAA PS3 games always looked atrociously ugly to me. Everything there was gray/brown without enough process power to make this art style shine

The other versions were also late. PS4 version only released 4 months after PS5 version. What do you wanted them to do? Have the game ready for PS5 (which was already delayed from 2022) but holding off to release it? Doesn't make much sense for me.

It looks fine, if the Switch is your console of choice it looks like you will have a good time with it.