By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What has been your biggest gaming surprise this year?

Baldur's Gate 3 - What a game
Hi-fi Rush - Nice surprise drop at the beginning of the year
MGS3 Remake
Star Citizen, well squadron 42 actually having an update
Starfield - did not meet expectations, I actually had high hope for it
Cyberpunk 2077 - 2.0 update and phantom liberty put the game in an good place

Around the Network

Baldurs Gate 3
Robocop
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

All much better than I anticipated

There were too many Surprises this year. At first I was surprised that they actually made a generally good Harry Potter game. But people soon forgot about that game due to the crazy amount of high-review scores for many old-school sequels and remakes which surprised me the most. The list below seemed to make people forget about Hogwarts Legacy by halfway through the year-

Sequels to Classic Game Series'-
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Baldur's Gate 3, Alan Wake 2, Diablo 4, Street Fighter 6, Final Fantasy 16, Spider Man 2, Super Mario Bros Wonder & Sonic Super Stars (not that Sonic Superstar's review score was as high as the others, but it was worth the mention).

Remakes/Remasters-
Resident Evil 4 remake, Dead Space Remake, Quake 2, Metroid Prime Remastered & Super Mario RPG.

Announcement of more remakes too:
Another Code Recollection, Paper Mario: The One Thousand Year Old Door & Mario vs Donkey Kong.

The biggest surprise for me was how fast Metroid Prime Remastered got released on the e-Shop on the same day it was announced. Then two weeks later the physical copy got released (How did it not get leaked?! XD). Graphics felt way more smooth like it was remodelled and retextured. It felt like a remake in terms of it's graphics, yet a remaster in terms of how it played. A beautiful combination.
Also I didn't expect another Mario Bros on Switch this gen as they ported New Mario Bros U from the Wii U earlier in the same gen. This game also announced the same year it was released. Same with Super Mario RPG.

Also, I was surprised by how bad the Golem game was. I was looking forward to that game too lol. Then all of a sudden another massive surprise; Rise of Kong seemed to blow the Golem game out the water months later lmao.

Too many surprises month after month this year making this list difficult to type. I hope I didn't forget anything lol...
Oh and Blasphemous 2 looks really good, need to remember to buy it with all these great games getting released.

I have (or have/had in the household): ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amiga, NES, Sega Master System, Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Windows 95, Gameboy Colour, Windows 98, Sega Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Windows XP, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Windows Vista, iPhone, Windows 7, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Windows 10, PSVR, Switch, PS5 & PSVR2. :D

and I Don't have: Magnovox Odyssey, Any Atari's, Any Macintosh computers, Sega Gamegear, Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, N-gage, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PSP, PSVita & Andoid Phone. Plus any non-main-stream consoles/platforms I haven't mentioned.