By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Clash of the October 20th titans: Which will sell more, Mario Wonder or Spiderman 2?

Which will sell more?

Super Mario Bros Wonder 125 84.46%

Spiderman 2 23 15.54%

Total:148
zeldaring said:
zorg1000 said:

Way to ignore the actual questions I asked

Of course there are things to back up the theory. just look at nintendo history they are very careful with franchise fatigue but since they had so many wiiu ports that no one played they now have 4 mario platformers on switch which is something Nintendo has never done before, and then you have mario rpg which of course some parents  and kids are gonna see commercials of and buy that over mario wonder for the holidays but of course the biggest holiday gifts will be ps5 cause its in its prime and switch is on the way out, spider man 2 is gonna sell better during the holidays. 

Ok then show me the things that support this theory, your post didn’t give any examples, data, trends, etc. I’m asking for evidence that any Mario title on Switch has impacted a different Mario title.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
zorg1000 said:

Way to ignore the actual questions I asked

Of course there are things to back up the theory. just look at nintendo history they are very careful with franchise fatigue but since they had so many wiiu ports that no one played they now have 4 mario platformers on switch which is something Nintendo has never done before, and then you have mario rpg which of course some parents  and kids are gonna see commercials of and buy that over mario wonder for the holidays but of course the biggest holiday gifts will be ps5 cause its in its prime and switch is on the way out, spider man 2 is gonna sell better during the holidays. 

https://www.vgchartz.com/game/35076/new-super-mario-bros-wii/sales

Just look at the sales pattern of December weeks, there’s no reasons for Wonder to not follow the same pattern. If it happens again, you can expect 15-20 million for the 1st quarter.

zeldaring said:
peachbuggy said:

You can't call it after 2 weeks, especially with a game like SMW, which will probably be an evergreen for years. Also, don't forget it is selling to a massively higher userbase. I expected SM2 to be the bigger seller initially but SMW to outsell it eventually with legs. I see nothing to change my opinion.

switch is at the end of it's cycle games  games will be very front loaded at this point imo. then you have mario rpg coming that will also give casuals another mario game of choice to buy. Then switch 2 is with a new 3d mario game coming which will shift focus on away from switch and mario wonder. it's obvious to me but we can wait and see. 

1. Backwards compatibility says hi.

2. 130m+++ userbase says hi. Current and future switch owners are not going to magically stop buying Switch games immediately at the moment the successor comes out.

3. Nintendo's evergreens and their massive legs say hi.

4. Mario RPG will NOT be a "casual" game.

5. Evidence to suggest future Nintendo games will be frontloaded?

6. Just admit you're Quickricks' alt already.

7. Proof a new Mario 3d game is in development for Switch successor?

8. Indeed we will wait and see. Be interesting to see if you are still here when that moment comes tho.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

I'll wait after the holidays then but i want my apologies after that. like i told you guys no way this will do near TOTK numbers and now the numbers back this up. I will wait for the after the holidays to come back to this thread, cause you guys will never admit you were wrong till the fat lady sings.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 08 November 2023

abronn627 said:
zeldaring said:

Just look at the sales pattern of December weeks, there’s no reasons for Wonder to not follow the same pattern. If it happens again, you can expect 15-20 million for the 1st quarter.

This is pointless comparison, you guys don't get it that switch is at the end of its life cycle and games will be more front loaded, games are not gonna have the legs of when a system is in it's prime and doing mind blowing numbers FOR YEARS and people are picking up a bunch of games with their  new console. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 08 November 2023

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
peachbuggy said:

You can't call it after 2 weeks, especially with a game like SMW, which will probably be an evergreen for years. Also, don't forget it is selling to a massively higher userbase. I expected SM2 to be the bigger seller initially but SMW to outsell it eventually with legs. I see nothing to change my opinion.

switch is at the end of it's cycle games  games will be very front loaded at this point imo. then you have mario rpg coming that will also give casuals another mario game of choice to buy. Then switch 2 is with a new 3d mario game coming which will shift focus on away from switch and mario wonder. it's obvious to me but we can wait and see. 

Did you...did you just call Mario RPG a game for casuals?

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

Renamed said:
zeldaring said:

Did you...did you just call Mario RPG a game for casuals?

when i say casuals i says parents and kids they are gonna see commercials of  Mario rpg  that looks like a adventure and be interested in buying it. 

abronn627 said:
zeldaring said:

Yep, NSMBU did ~2.3 million in November followed by ~7.7 million in December for a total of ~10 million in 2009. Mario Wonder did 4.3 million in October with the full holiday shopping season still ahead of it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

This is going to be an exciting thread.

zeldaring said:
abronn627 said:

This is pointless comparison, you guys don't get it that switch is at the end of its life cycle and games will be more front loaded, games are not gonna have the legs of when a system is in it's prime and doing mind blowing numbers FOR YEARS and people are picking up a bunch of games with their  new console. 

Super Mario Bros 3 launched late in the life of the NES, a system that already had two side-scrolling SMB games, and it went on to sell more than any non-bundled game on the platform.