By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - JIm Ryan Retiring in March 2024

Hiku said:

He was definitely a 'numbers guy', and I think that's okay if you're good enough at what you do.
Other, more charismatic people from the company can handle the PR aspects as much as possible instead.

Not sure what I think about his tenure since it's difficult to pinpoint everything he was responsible for. Since games can take 6-7+ years to develop, we may be seeing games he greenlit up until 2030+. But some people on the internet will be quick to attribute those games to whomever replaces him.

In terms of finances, he was competent. That is mostly what shareholders care about.

Ryan's many weaknesses were in public relations, mostly ignoring Japan (in terms of the market itself and Sony's devs), and undervaluing legacy content and older Sony IPs that could be revived. 

It's so frustrating that so many CEOs of these companies aren't gamers. If Jim Ryan is a gamer beyond the very casual dabble here and there, I'd be shocked. Satoru Iwata had a good number of faults helming Nintendo, but he was a gamer. His leadership was a clear net positive for Nintendo even when during the Wii U days, I thought it was time for him to retire or have a less significant role at Nintendo (before his sad passing). 

Last edited by Wman1996 - on 29 September 2023

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

I think we are gong to need to wait at least 5 years, before we see the whole picture of Jim's vision and the result of it. Covid and inflation certainly didn't do Jim, Phil, or Iwata any favors. The PS5 is going to beat the Xbox Series pretty easily, there is no catching up for it as this point. If the PS6 comes out the gate and is behind the next Xbox in sales, it will be a result of what Jim set up for the next 5 years.

I never really understood the hate against Jim Ryan. Then again he wasn't in charge very long. On the other hand it was always weird to me how much praise Phil Spencer got when IMO he has failed to deliver for a very long time. Phil's had almost 10 years and I just haven't seen anything from Xbox.

When Phil did that interview with Destin basically blaming Larian for BG3 not working on Series S it was pretty disgusting. He knows he's had multiple devs complaining about that machine and he still is willing to throw devs under the bus like that. Devs that worked so hard on their game and to just trash them so casually like that I couldn't believe it.

Hiku said:

He was definitely a 'numbers guy', and I think that's okay if you're good enough at what you do.
Other, more charismatic people from the company can handle the PR aspects as much as possible instead.

Not sure what I think about his tenure since it's difficult to pinpoint everything he was responsible for. Since games can take 6-7+ years to develop, we may be seeing games he greenlit up until 2030+. But some people on the internet will be quick to attribute those games to whomever replaces him.

I don't think he had anything to do with this.

Hermen Hulst is head of PlayStation Studios. Jim Ryan would be overseeing Hermen Hulst, as well as stuff like hardware development, networking and all the other things that SIE would overlook.  

He is involved with acquiring studios, and decides on the direction of the company, but I doubt that he greenlights any specific games. 

method114 said:

I never really understood the hate against Jim Ryan. Then again he wasn't in charge very long. On the other hand it was always weird to me how much praise Phil Spencer got when IMO he has failed to deliver for a very long time. Phil's had almost 10 years and I just haven't seen anything from Xbox.

When Phil did that interview with Destin basically blaming Larian for BG3 not working on Series S it was pretty disgusting. He knows he's had multiple devs complaining about that machine and he still is willing to throw devs under the bus like that. Devs that worked so hard on their game and to just trash them so casually like that I couldn't believe it.

I'm not saying your lying or changing facts here. But could you give me the actual quote where he done this and also a link to the Interview/Article.

And anyone who thinks Phil has not been working to turn the xbox brand around imo is being delusional. Sure he hasn't done the best but with what he had to work with compared to what Jim had to work with is a night and day difference..

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
LurkerJ said:

I hear this all the time, can you clarify what type of games you're referring to? What studios are being told not to work on the games they want to make?

Like all the Japanese ones, for example, needless to say. We know this. Sony's also reportedly gotten a rep with independent publishers of late for being tough to deal with, although, in all fairness, they have taken some concrete steps to repair the latter relationship recently. I don't know if that's really all Jim Ryan's personal doing by any means, but it sure seems like a logical match for his public persona and happens to overlap with his tenure. It's just the impression I get as an outsider, and apparently one that most other people get too.

Closing a studio and indies not getting as much support isn't the same as them being forced to make certain kinds of games.

the-pi-guy said:
Hiku said:

Hermen Hulst is head of PlayStation Studios. Jim Ryan would be overseeing Hermen Hulst, as well as stuff like hardware development, networking and all the other things that SIE would overlook.  

He is involved with acquiring studios, and decides on the direction of the company, but I doubt that he greenlights any specific games. 

Hmm, im not sure i get this at all. Im pretty sure Jim had a lot of involvement with what was Green Lighted and what wasnt since he is over the studios. He was the boss. Thats like Saying Phil wouldnt of had any say in what xbox Green Lighted or didnt.

the-pi-guy said:
Jaicee said:

Like all the Japanese ones, for example, needless to say. We know this. Sony's also reportedly gotten a rep with independent publishers of late for being tough to deal with, although, in all fairness, they have taken some concrete steps to repair the latter relationship recently. I don't know if that's really all Jim Ryan's personal doing by any means, but it sure seems like a logical match for his public persona and happens to overlap with his tenure. It's just the impression I get as an outsider, and apparently one that most other people get too.

Closing a studio and indies not getting as much support isn't the same as them being forced to make certain kinds of games.

Yeah i dont think Sony is "Forcing" their studios to make some types of games. I think its just all the studios they have love making Cinematic, Movie type games.

the-pi-guy said:
Hiku said:

Yeah, that may be the case. I can't be sure. But considering how games like TLOU2 reportedly cost $220 Million dollars to make, sums like that have the ability to impact the direction of the entire company if invested poorly. (See Square Enix, etc)
So in that sense I can imagine it having to cross his desk.

At least that's the sentiment I keep seeing.

But again, I don't know for sure.

Last edited by Hiku - on 29 September 2023

zero129 said:

Hmm, im not sure i get this at all. Im pretty sure Jim had a lot of involvement with what was Green Lighted and what wasnt since he is over the studios. He was the boss. Thats like Saying Phil wouldnt of had any say in what xbox Green Lighted or didnt.

Hiku said:

I can't be sure. But considering how games like TLOU2 reportedly cost $220 Million dollars to make, sums like that have the ability to impact the direction of the entire company if invested poorly. (See Square Enix, etc)
So in that sense I can imagine it having to cross his desk.

At least that's the sentiment I keep seeing.
But again, I don't know for sure.

I am probably wrong. 

I have to imagine to some extent, that the big publishers have an entire team to greenlight, and seek out projects. 

Moreso it probably isn't in the hands of any one person. Maybe Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst are two of 10 people that give feedback on projects.  

zero129 said:

Yeah i dont think Sony is "Forcing" their studios to make some types of games. I think its just all the studios they have love making Cinematic, Movie type games.

There are several that aren't. Team Asobi is making Mario style platformers, Polyphony is making racers obviously. Media Molecule isn't making cinematic movie type games.