By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: "Nintendo future exists off their own hardware"

KLXVER said:

Well Sony would be co owners of Nintendo games. They would focus on their biggest sellers. Like they are doing now. Im sure Sly, Jak & Daxter, Parappa The Rapper, Resistance, InFamous etc were all profitable, but not as much as God Of War, Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man etc.

That doesn't sound like less AAA to me. 

Around the Network

Btw this leak isn't a surprise, but it essentially broke all the narratives people were pushing. How Microsoft isn't looking to be a monopoly or how Phil Spencer is a good guy that cares for the industry and competition! Yeah right lol.

Qwark said:

Yet PlayStation is abandoning their AAA games that costs 200 million euro to develop for live service games. So whilst they are profitable, they are not profitable enough for Sony. Nintendo games not only outsell PlayStation games, they probably also don't cost 200 million euro to make.

That's absolute nonsense. What are you basing this on? 

PotentHerbs said:
KLXVER said:

Well Sony would be co owners of Nintendo games. They would focus on their biggest sellers. Like they are doing now. Im sure Sly, Jak & Daxter, Parappa The Rapper, Resistance, InFamous etc were all profitable, but not as much as God Of War, Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man etc.

Well we are not getting more Resistance or InFamous games, so thats less.

RolStoppable said:
aTokenYeti said:

Microsoft gaming makes more money year over year than the entire Nintendo corporation combined, and that’s before the ABK merger.

I don’t think Phil Spencer is taking crazy pills suggesting Nintendo is leaving money on the table. Basically every Nintendo first party can run on mobile phones, and the addressable market for iOS and android is billions of people.

Generating revenue and making money are two very different things. Regarding Nintendo leaving money on the table, continue reading below.

chakkra said:

Okay,

1st) I agree that Microsoft buying Nintendo would be bad for the industry over all (we need more competition, not less) and I 100% DO NOT want that to happen.

2nd) Looking at the phrase "Nintendo future exists off their own hardware" on a vacuum, one has to wonder: How much would Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Pókemon sell if they released on all of the other platforms? I mean, I think Pókemon alone might be able to rival GTA. Then again, I guess someone could argue that the tribalism that makes some fans rally around the brand might disappear and they would no longer have the same level of interest for those games, but still.

Software sales would most likely not increase to an appreciable degree, unless one believes that tens of millions of gamers refuse to buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games. In order to believe that, one has to give a lot of weight to the obnoxious voices on the internet who are all for Nintendo going third party. But here's a hint: Even among those who complain the most, most of them did buy Nintendo hardware already.

Wait, are you actually saying with a straight face that if MK8 or Pókemon released next week on PS4-PS5, they wouldn't sell that much?

Heck, if Monster Hunter Rise was able to almost double it's sales numbers in just one year after releasing in other platforms (and being released Day One on a subscription service), what in God's name makes you think that Nintendo games would be any different?

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
PotentHerbs said:

Where Killzone died. A Horizon dawned. What was once a Resistance now has great power and responsibility. What was once Infamous is now a Ghost of Tsushima.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

KLXVER said:

Right, because we're getting AAA titles like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon and Wolverine instead. 

PotentHerbs said:
Qwark said:

Yet PlayStation is abandoning their AAA games that costs 200 million euro to develop for live service games. So whilst they are profitable, they are not profitable enough for Sony. Nintendo games not only outsell PlayStation games, they probably also don't cost 200 million euro to make.

That's absolute nonsense. What are you basing this on? 

Their own graphs they are investing less in traditional content in 2023 than they did in 2019. The traditional being the 200 million+ single player games. They also want to release a lot Live Service games the next few years. So that they have 12 up and running in 2025. In 2025 and onward their investments in Live service games will be bigger than in Live Service games. You can't really say that's not a course correction.

Considering they have only so many studios it's fairly safe to assume that some (not recently acquired studios) are working on a Life Service game, instead or an AAA SP game. We only know of 3 Live games in development so far and PlayStation sees MLB already as a Live Service game. So that's 8 more Live Service games to announce and release, the next three years.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

PotentHerbs said:
KLXVER said:

Right, because we're getting AAA titles like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon and Wolverine instead. 

Well I would rather have a new Resistance, but fair enough.

Qwark said:

Their own graphs they are investing less in traditional content in 2023 than they did in 2019. The traditional being the 200 million+ single player games. They also want to release a lot Live Service games the next few years. So that they have 12 up and running in 2025. In 2025 and onward their investments in Live service games will be bigger than in Live Service games.

Considering they have only so many studios it's fairly safe to assume that some (not recently acquired studios) are working on a Life Service game, instead or an AAA SP game. We only know of 3 Live games in development so far and PlayStation sees MLB already as a Live Service game. So that's 8 more Live Service games to announce and release, the next three years.

You may want to look at those graphs again. Sony significantly increasing their funding for multiplayer games, doesn't mean less investment in single player games, and surely doesn't mean they are abandoning single player games. It means the majority of their M&A budget will be going towards live service/GaaS titles. 

Sony has stated they have over 25+ games in development at their first party studios back in 2021. If they achieve their goal of 10 - 12 live service games releasing by 2026, that would mean the majority of games in development would still be single player titles. 

Its safe to assume that some of Sony's legacy studios will be working on live service games, but its ridiculous to claim they're abandoning AAA gaming, especially with journalists like Jason Schreier writing articles about how Sony is shifting towards AAA development, and forums like this criticizing Sony for going all in for AAA development.