By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor - Nintendo to join the VR industry?

Mar1217 said:
SvennoJ said:

VR also really needs some good hardware to run on. Last night I played Paper Beast enhanced edition and Paradise Hotel on PSVR2. Sharp, steady visuals with realistic lighting complete the experience. Paradise Hotel not only looks sharp, it runs at a locked 120fps which makes it feel all the more solid. Red Matter 2 also stands out thanks to great use of foveated rendering, realistic lighting and solid 90fps.

So as much as I would love to play Nintendo games in VR, mobile hardware isn't going to cut it for the full experience. PSVR2 is still on the low side resolution wise, yet super sampling and HDR visuals help a lot to keep the suspension of disbelief. Of course cell shaded games don't need the best lighting nor resolution so plenty Nintendo games will make a great fit for VR. Same as Beat Saber and Synthriders don't need all that much processing power and Astrobot was amazing on PSVR1's VHS quality visuals.

Anyway I hope if Nintendo joins VR, it will be with a complete headset. Not having to slide the Switch 2 into a head strap with the added weight and heat all at the front. But maybe as an option. A cheap head strap you can slide Switch 2 in and a dedicated headset that links to Switch 2 in docked mode for better visuals and a more processing grunt. The head strap to get people to try out VR, then the option to move on to more comfort and improved visuals.
Not sure how to solve tracking with a hybrid solution like that though :/

Obviously there just going to make that Mario Kart VR game or update to play it on MK9 and it'll follow suit to become the best selling VR headset in the world. Such is the power of Mario Kart !

True. And Metroid Prime 4 would be an optimal choice for VR. I can't really think of many other Nintendo games that would be good in VR, maybe VR versions of Star Fox and F-Zero.