By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hot take - I think the Joy-Cons are underrated

What mode do you use to play your Switch?

Handheld 4 10.81%

Docked 17 45.95%

Tabletop 0 0%

Handheld/Docked 11 29.73%

Handheld/Tabletop 0 0%

Docked/Tabletop 1 2.70%

All 4 10.81%

Total:37

I'd love to be able to play the Switch on the Joycons, but of course, they don't work.

For years now, they've both had a bad connection with the Switch itself, not sure if the problem was on the Joycons or on the console, but it's made handheld mode essentially useless because the controllers keep disconnecting if you don't hold the Switch perfectly steady. And now the battery died on my left Joycon, I assume it's because it kept connecting and disconnecting while charging, meaning I can't use them in docked or tabletop mode either.

Thankfully I haven't felt like replaying Okami in a while, that game is best on the Joycons, and I played through Skyward Sword HD a while back, so I just play everything on the Pro controller. Or, you know, I could go get my Joycons fixed, but it's just... so much time and money to put into something that is ultimately useless because they'll go and break again in different ways. That's just how Switch hardware works.

Around the Network

I used the Joycons once. Since then they have stayed attached to my Switch and I use a Pro controller.

They are small, they drift and they are not ergonomic. It's not a good experience.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Darwinianevolution said:
KLXVER said:

Yeah, my pro controller drifts as well. Pikmin 4 became more challenging...

Really? Huh, I didn't know it could happen to the Pro as well. Now I'm worried for mine...

I don't have drift yet (/knock on wood) on my pro controller but the stick does register an opposite movement when letting it go. The spring is too stiff maybe, yet in TotK I have to make sure not to let go too early or it will select the opposite option from the power wheel.

The d-pad isn't very good either. You use left up and right a lot to select weapons or what to throw and often it pops up the wrong selection. I want to press up to throw something yet it registers a left press and brings up the shield menu.

It does fell very comfortable, yet performance wise it's not that great.

For me, they're among the worst Nintendo controllers I ever tried. Way too small, the buttons feel too shallow and lack proper feedback, and the sticks are tiny and easily start to drift. Using the frame to join them to become one controller does nothing to solve any of these issues, and instead exacerbates one; its severe lack of ergonomics. Playing the Switch in handheld mode with the Joy-cons attached at the side is somehow even worse, my hands and fingers get tired in half-an hour or less. The Pro controller is amazing though, by far my favorite Nintendo controller of all time. I only play my Switch in docked mode, and only using the Pro controller.

Mind you, I never liked playing on handheld consoles, everything from audio to picture quality and size, and to the controls. It was never my thing.

Being able to move my arms freely while playing is something that I really love. I use the joycons on a lot of my steam games as well.

Around the Network
deerox said:

Being able to move my arms freely while playing is something that I really love. I use the joycons on a lot of my steam games as well.

Oh yeah that's another plus of them. I mostly play in handheld mode the past few years, but I used to play docked more and while usually I would slide them into their controller holder (which is just such a cool design), I would sometimes just play with one in each hand and that was cool too.

They are just so incredibly versatile there's never been anything like them. Really incredible how many different ways you can use them and how great they are. Next gen I just wanna see Nintendo make some small iterative improvements (ie slightly bigger for 2 player sideways playing) on them but otherwise keep them the same. Such an incredible little pair of controllers.