By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FINAL FANTASY XVI Completed! My kind of review!.

As of Wednesday 10:52 PM I have completed FINAL FANTASY XVI. Only trophy left is to beat the game on FINAL FANTASY MODE, which I have already started and I have to say, is a lot of fun. I enjoy having all my abilities from the get go and the mode really does turn it up a couple of notches. This is not going to be a standard review because I'm flat out to say that XVI is a 9/10 game. This thread is going to be written from 2 angles: Why it is not a 10/10 and what could be done to make a highly probable XVI-2 better.

1. XVI is "RPG Lite" and this "Lite" shows it's face in many ways. You will get a variety of weapons and armor just like any other FF or RPG in general. Unlike past FF's, weapons only offer a stat buff; There is no other distinction between each weapon. It becomes even stranger when each weapon has a separate stat for power and stagger, but to my knowledge every time you equip a sword it raises/lowers both power AND stagger by equal amounts! I also don't recall any accessories that raises stagger alone, sooo I'm wondering what the point is? I initially thought that every sword would have different power and stagger strength, giving you a choice on what you value more; Do I want raw power or faster stagger? You also get elemental weapons as well that I also thought would offer unique properties but they don't at all either... like what hell? What's the point of them needing unique items to craft then. How about when you have an elemental sword equip you get a bonus while using that elements Eikon? Accessories are all mostly geared towards aggressive, not much in the way of defensive gear. In general there is not much room to play around in regards to equipping Clive. Better integration of RPG elements. 

2. XVI has a unique setup in regards to going through the story. There are linear action stages (think DMC, Bayonetta) and when you are not engaged in those, there are the sandbox hubs or what XIV players refer to as the "MMO Lite" parts. It does not matter where you are at, there is not really any form of exploration/reward system. In the action stages there is no exploration at all. It is simply corridors connecting battle zones. Now I would be fine with that because when I'm doing the action stages I want those to be focused on that non stop roller coaster ride with no distractions but, the sandbox areas, where one would most expect that exploration element, does not picked up the slack and it is very disappointing. One of the highlights of XV was finding all the optional stuff throughout the map. Action stages to push the story and hub for the quest/exploration stuff. Why was something so obvious fumbled? There are a few chest that can be opened in both action and hub areas but most of the time they're just one of the few crafting materials found throughout the game. You'll never be short of those lol.. I promise. There is also no side activities to do either. I understand that the world of XVI does not really lend itself to having things like fishing or card games but something to engage in that is not fighting would have been appreciated.

3. Since I mentioned quest, lets talk about those. They have improved over XV(One of XV's weakest parts imo) but not by much. The improvement comes in the way of quest weaving into the greater world of XVI. Every quest in some way shape of form is about adding to the lore or developing it's supporting characters. They are still mostly mundane stuff though. Somebody in the discussion thread made a joke about Clive being the XVI equivalent to door dash and its kind of true. My biggest issue is that they don't always match the tone that XVI is trying to convey. Some are very campy(Bandits stole guys luggage in Damilil), some are cheesy(The dad and son dog one) and some just try to hard (The girl and her "pet"). The tone is all over place. More work needs to be done in this area. I would much rather have fewer but more detailed quest than a bunch of bite size stuff.

4. XVI has a good amount of enemy types but I think a few more would have went a long ways. XVI is an action game foremost and in beat em ups/action games every enemy type offers a different strategy in regards to approach. As you fight these enemies over and over across the entirety of the game you gain a familiarity with there tactics and how you should deal with them. XVI really wants to push that. By the end of the game I was pretty much only getting touched a few times in a regular fight .. precision dodge every other time. Not because I'm a god gamer but because you fight the same enemies so much that it becomes a natural reaction. Iron Giant never touch me anymore. They just don't. I still think even with that mindset there should have been enough enemies so that each of the 4 regions shared but also have there own exclusive monsters. Eventually all monsters can be found anymore and from a story perspective it makes since with the blight and all but from a game all it does it make each region lose its own individuality in some way.

5. The only complaint against the system is Stagger gauge. Not surprising to me because It has been an issue in every game that SE uses it in. Fights can drag on for a long as time because of this this system. I propose faster staggers or higher damage when staggered. One of the two please. 

That is pretty much it. If all of this was improved, XVI would be a 10/10 game for me. Otherwise it is an awesome experience and one I would with honor say is a FINAL FANTASY experience.  A perfect mix of presentation, gameplay, music and .. nostalgia. Lots of nostalgia used in such wonderful ways. I am very much looking forward to any DLC and XVI-2. Soo many doors were left open. 

Around the Network

I agree with most of these. Personally, I think the game has really high highs but the low-quality MMORPG stuff in-between is enough to drop it to an 8.

Xxain said:

5. The only complaint against the system is Stagger gauge. Not surprising to me because It has been an issue in every game that SE uses it in. Fights can drag on for a long as time because of this this system. I propose faster staggers or higher damage when staggered. One of the two please. 

What setup are you using?

I'm going with Will o' the Wykes + Lightning Rod / Gouge + Judgement Bolt / Gigaflare + Windup and it melts just about everything in the endgame.

haxxiy said:

I agree with most of these. Personally, I think the game has really high highs but the low-quality MMORPG stuff in-between is enough to drop it to an 8.

Xxain said:

What setup are you using?

I'm going with Will o' the Wykes + Lightning Rod / Gouge + Judgement Bolt / Gigaflare + Windup and it melts just about everything in the endgame.

Phoenix: Rising Flames, Scarlet Cyclone

Titan: Pile Driver, Diamond Dust(Best Stagger damage in the game)

Odin: Dancing Steel, Gigaflare

Rising Flames and Scarlet Cyclone have good power and stagger and fast recovery. I use these in combination with combos to drain stagger to about 3/4. Depending on enemy Diamond Dust can drain stagger completely from the 50% mark but I tend to wait until about 30% stagger left. Then I Limit Beak -> Diamond Dust -> Pile Driver - Rising Flames, Scarlet Cyclone, switch to Odin (while in Scarlet Cyclone animation) -> O(Odin's Blade) -> Dancing Steel -> Gigaflare -> Zantetsuken. This is about 120k+ damage. I'm more setup for maximum damage when staggered not no much staggering. 

In general staggering is a chore unless you setup for it.

I'm 80% completed the main story and struggling to go forward because how basic and formulaic the battle system is. I'm having no fun with combat or exploration anymore. Except by the top tier boss fights I feel like every battle and chapter is basically the same, traverse trough corridors and fight minions using the same old movements

If the battle system was more refined the game play loop would be way more fun

The story started amazing bur is slowly starting to degrade in the final chapters. It's not bad, it's just not as good as in the other parts of the game

As someone who is very picky about fighting in games, I'd say the combat is definitely the thing that is dragging me down here. I will wait until I finish to score, but so far it's a 7 to 8 game for me in a score of 10

Finished last night , 87 hour or something, did all quests and all hunts ets.
Its the game i enjoyed the most in ps5 gen so far, irs a great game with some problems that make it not be a masterpiece. I didnt mind a action oriented ff made by a mmo team sinse we gona get a more tradidional ff in remake part 2. But please, next game be less serious, less dramtic, less game of thrones. I want a party that is saving the world but that has fun doing it.

I kinda like the quests if you think about it every little zone in the map is connected to some quest, so if the first time you enter a zone and explore when you go there a second time its not the same anymore.
Design wise i think this final fantasy wanted to be so grounded too much, i remember playinfg ff10 and each side character was so fucking unique and different, here they all look random npcs. And they all so good, in the end i loved every person in the hideout.

I really want the next to be more old school, i want a party , i need a bunch of character so unic and diffent like ff7 and i want a super unique setting like ff8 (school setting) or ff10 that had a unique design and beautiful world.

Forest and deserts and empty towns i am over it, fucking create a collourfull world.

Around the Network

I've been gaming long enough to have seen every main FF launch. And as much a I love the franchise, there were always three things that I wished I didn't have to endure in order the play them: turn-based combat, random battles, and grinding (Lord, do I hate grinding). So you can imagine my delight when they finally released a main FF game without them. Finally, for me, Final Fantasy 16 is the perfect RPG. The music was outstanding, the graphics and cutscenes were at times, jaw droppingly beautiful. The story was as good as it gets, the game was the perfect length, no game-breaking glitches, audio issues or anything like that (it was as solid as a PS2 era game). It truly felt like FF, the former king of RPGS, had returned to its rightful throne... only with a modern combat system and no grinding. 

Perfect. 

Last edited by JackHandy - on 29 July 2023

8/10 game for me. Definitely an improvement over 13 and 15, has noticeable highs, very high values in every area, but also room for improvement in every area as well. I guess I have nitpicks.

Cant agree with you with the staggering thing, I didnt feel it was a drag at all, its possible your skill setup was not optimal, I found it very easy to achieve. In fact, thats one of nitpicks, the game as a whole just feels easier than it should be.

Jpcc86 said:

Cant agree with you with the staggering thing, I didnt feel it was a drag at all, its possible your skill setup was not optimal, I found it very easy to achieve. In fact, thats one of nitpicks, the game as a whole just feels easier than it should be.

Yeah, it's much much easier to get a stagger here than in 13 or 7R.

A lot of people were expecting damage sponges after the trailers but it does not feel like that at all. In fact, I feel like these are some of the least spongy FF enemies in all of the franchise.

8 hours in my FINAL FANATSY MODE playthrough and I'm already on my way to beat up Bahamut again! Not doing any quest, hunts and skipping cutscenes really puts in perspective the true length of the game.

Titan fight never gets old! The highlight of the entire game.