By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When do you think the Switch Successor will release?

Will the Switch successor launch in 2024?

Yes 3 75.00%

No 1 25.00%

Total:4
Chrkeller said:

No idea if the tech was new or old. Kind of don't care. But the switch is the first and only piece of hardware I saw that seamlessly went from portable to home console.

It's a portable console.

It's technology and form factor is portable-first and foremost, it doesn't compete as a home console and that is perfectly fine.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

No idea if the tech was new or old. Kind of don't care. But the switch is the first and only piece of hardware I saw that seamlessly went from portable to home console.

It's a portable console.

It's technology and form factor is portable-first and foremost, it doesn't compete as a home console and that is perfectly fine.

Agree to disagree.  It functions, in my house, no different than my ps5.  HD, 5.1 surround, wireless controller, USB ports, etc.  I use the switch exactly as I would use a home console.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Pemalite said:

It's a portable console.

Agree to disagree.  It functions, in my house, no different than my ps5.  HD, 5.1 surround, wireless controller, USB ports, etc.  I use the switch exactly as I would use a home console.  

It's a portable console.

It just has the ability to output it's video to an external display... Which I remind you is a feature that has existed in handhelds for decades as I have proven prior in this thread.

The Switch has a mobile display, battery to support it's mobile functionality, uses a mobile processing unit, mobile ram and other components.
It's "controllers" are also extremely tiny to aid in mobility.

And even docks like Microsoft Continuum mobile devices to recharge it's battery.

It's a mobile device... A gaming handheld. You are allowed to "agree to disagree" all you want, but that's not a magical scapegoat to asserting yourself as correct.

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

It's a portable console.

It just has the ability to output it's video to an external display... Which I remind you is a feature that has existed in handhelds for decades as I have proven prior in this thread.

The Switch has a mobile display, battery to support it's mobile functionality, uses a mobile processing unit, mobile ram and other components.

And even docks like Microsoft Continuum mobile devices to recharge it's battery.

It's a mobile device... A gaming handheld. You are allowed to "agree to disagree" all you want, but that's not a magical scapegoat to asserting yourself as correct.

It plays exactly like a home console in my house.  Wireless controllers, local multi-player with the family, digital surround, external storage via USB.  

Feel free to point out another "mobile" device with those capabilities.

The switch is more than a mobile device with TV out.  It is a shame you can't see that.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 27 July 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Pemalite said:

It's a portable console.

It plays exactly like a home console in my house.  Wireless controllers, local multi-player with the family, digital surround, external storage via USB.  

The switch is more than a mobile device with TV out.  It is a shame you can't see that.  

How you use it is irrelevant.

Many people use their laptops hooked up to a keyboard, mouse, display and speakers 24/7. Doesn't make it a desktop, it's still a laptop.

I have my Samsung Galaxy Tab sitting in the Kitchen, which has a wireless controller where I can play local multiplayer with family, which outputs to the Blu-tooth digital sound system and connects to USB 20TB of external storage.

Does that mean my Tablet is also a fixed home console going by your definition?

We don't change what a devices form factor is based on usage... And that is what it is fundamentally about, form factor.

The Switch is a tablet with built-in controllers, just like the Steam Deck, Ayaneo, Asus ROG Ally and even devices like the Anbernic.

It's a handheld. It's technology is 100% purely handheld and mobile derived.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

How you use it is irrelevant.

Many people use their laptops hooked up to a keyboard, mouse, display and speakers 24/7. Doesn't make it a desktop, it's still a laptop.

I have my Samsung Galaxy Tab sitting in the Kitchen, which has a wireless controller where I can play local multiplayer with family, which outputs to the Blu-tooth digital sound system and connects to USB 20TB of external storage.

Does that mean my Tablet is also a fixed home console going by your definition?

We don't change what a devices form factor is based on usage... And that is what it is fundamentally about, form factor.

The Switch is a tablet with built-in controllers, just like the Steam Deck, Ayaneo, Asus ROG Ally and even devices like the Anbernic.

It's a handheld. It's technology is 100% purely handheld and mobile derived.

Like I said, agree to disagree.  Nintendo made the switch to seamlessly function like a GBA and a GameCube all in one box.  The switch works flawlessly for home gamers and mobile games.  Hence the name "switch."  Nintendo even combined their home and portable division into one group.  The switch is both.  Being both is literally the entire point of the console.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Like I said, agree to disagree.  Nintendo made the switch to seamlessly function like a GBA and a GameCube all in one box.  The switch works flawlessly for home gamers and mobile games.  Hence the name "switch."  Nintendo even combined their home and portable division into one group.  The switch is both.  Being both is literally the entire point of the console.  

You can agree to disagree that the Earth isn't flat. Doesn't mean it actually is flat, it's simply not a process to truth, fact or sound logic.

The Switch is nothing like a Gamecube, it doesn't even use optical disks. - It does have more in common with a Gameboy which was a purely mobile device that had a built in display, used batteries, built-in sound, used carts.

The Switch also is not a "flawless" home console, it's processing hardware (CPU, GPU, Ram etc') is all based on mobile technology (ARM+Mobile Maxwell+LPDDR) and comes with various compromises in order to optimize for battery life over performance. - Like an emphasis on FP16 over FP32 for GPU compute, which although less precise, does come with tangible power savings.

The Switch is not both, it's a mobile device that docks, just like other mobile devices that have released over the last few decades, the Switch isn't unique, the Switch isn't even the first with this ability.

A Windows Phone using Microsoft Continuum is still a mobile phone, despite the fact it has a dock and output it's display to an external display.

Either way, I have literally ripped apart your prior examples and you still cannot concede you are wrong, which to me says you have a confirmation bias.

The Switch is a mobile device, this is a blatant fact. And there is 100% absolutely nothing wrong with that... As it actually makes a very shit home console, but an amazing portable one.

I'll continue enjoying some of the best open world games in the history of gaming on my "shit" home console... lol

Jokes aside.  I view home vs mobile by functionality.  You view it based on chipset.  Too each their own.  It is in fact an opinion based on interest.

And here is the difference, I respect your opinion.  Too bad you cannot say the same.

I'm guessing the whole issue is you view this as a debate with a winner as opposed to a conversation to understand perspective.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 27 July 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I'll continue enjoying some of the best open world games in the history of gaming on my "shit" home console... lol

Enjoy them at 720P or lower with 30fps? Doesn't make the games "shit". - It is just a shit experience held back by the mobile-first hardware.

Chrkeller said:

Jokes aside.  I view home vs mobile by functionality.  You view it based on chipset.  Too each their own.  It is in fact an opinion based on interest.

No. I base it on functionality.

The Switch is a handheld console with display, battery, wifi-where all the processing happens inside the handheld gaming tablet. - It has a dock. - Who cares? So do lots of other devices. - But they are all still handhelds.

Opinion is removed from this, it's objectively, factually and literally a handheld console, not a home console, not a hybrid.

These are mobile devices that connects to a display and charging facilities and supports wireless controllers:

This is exactly the same functionality and use-case as the Switch.

Heck. Nintendo even has a variant of the Switch which can -only- be used while holding it, it doesn't support outputting to a display or have removable joycons.

We can even take it a step further.
Here is a laptop docked to power/displays, literally does the same thing the Switch does.

You can even buy docks for laptops like this one:

Still a laptop and still a mobile device, is it not?

Chrkeller said:

And here is the difference, I respect your opinion.  Too bad you cannot say the same.

I don't respect any opinions. I respect science and fact.
Opinions are there to debate with, to move a discussion forward, to learn and improve and apply objectivity, but you have removed yourself from that.

I'm guessing the whole issue is you view this as a debate with a winner as opposed to a conversation to understand perspective.

No. I view this as Fact vs Opinion.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 27 July 2023

woof!!!

you must be real fun at parties. 

A:source of authority... YOU do not get to determine what is or is not a mobile or home console, YOU have no qualifying aspects to make such claims. You are of course entitled to your opinions, but stating them as inarguable fact is without any force. Meanwhile nintendo themselves, an actual authority in the subject, and the longest running major producer of same such objects IS an authority. and they have proclaimed the device as being both.

B: your definition of it being a mobile only handset is threadbare and thin at best. Sometime ago some adventerous idiots "converted" their xbox's and playstations into "mobile" consoles by adding massive batteries and screens to them ala a laptop.... does that make them mobile then? likewise when alienware started stuffing full on "desktop" CPU's and bleeding edge GPU's into truly MASSIVE laptops which would smoke your poor desktop... are they somehow still just "mobile" machines? Does the wii U count as a mobile since i almost never used its TV hook up?

The real determination of what these objects are is in their intended use (which they are clearly marketed as and for)... the switch is BOTH.... many people use it as a home console where it never leaves the cradle (i did that for years)... and many others use it almost entirely mobile. I have laptops that have never left my office desk connected to screens my desktops could never even support the resolution on... while clearly a "laptop" they are effectively a desktop.

stop being overly pedantic and actually examine the common and intended usage of an item before assigning it a (arbitrary) label.