By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FTC VS Microsoft: Judge's Son Works for Microsoft - Issue?

If the FTC agreed to this judge knowing this information then it is what it is, but while I agree that the stuff about "supporting the financial success of the child's employer" is a huge reach (this case will very likely have no influence on her son's position in the company and fairly little on the overall success of MS), it's honestly also a reach to completely dismiss the possibility of some small bit of bias, regardless of whether it will actually end up influencing the outcome (most likely it wouldn't). I'm essentially just saying if I was the FTC I'd have asked for a different judge just to be safe, but that's up to them.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:

Considering the judge that was supposed to be in the Desantis/Disney case was basically forced to recuse himself because a relative owned Disney stock, I can see the reason for this judge to recuse themself as well. I don't personally think the judge is going to come to a decision because their son works at Microsoft, so i don't care either way.

There's quite a large difference between a relative owning stock and a relative working for a company (not even in the gaming department). In addition, DeSantis team asked the Judge to recuse himself to begin with, however, he recused himself for a different reason than what DeSantis team asked him to recuse himself for.

In this scenario, Judge Corley informed both FTC and Microsoft pre-trial that she had a relative who works for Microsoft, the FTC did not have any issue with that, despite wanting to block the deal, the FTC did not ask her to recuse herself, when it was fully within their power to do so. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I read before that both Microsoft and FTC agreed upon Corley for the case, she is respected by both parties.

If the FTC didn't care, then I don't see why anyone else should.

Ryuu96 said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Considering the judge that was supposed to be in the Desantis/Disney case was basically forced to recuse himself because a relative owned Disney stock, I can see the reason for this judge to recuse themself as well. I don't personally think the judge is going to come to a decision because their son works at Microsoft, so i don't care either way.

There's quite a large difference between a relative owning stock and a relative working for a company (not even in the gaming department). In addition, DeSantis team asked the Judge to recuse himself to begin with, however, he recused himself for a different reason than what DeSantis team asked him to recuse himself for.

In this scenario, Judge Corley informed both FTC and Microsoft pre-trial that she had a relative who works for Microsoft, the FTC did not have any issue with that, despite wanting to block the deal, the FTC did not ask her to recuse herself, when it was fully within their power to do so. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I read before that both Microsoft and FTC agreed upon Corley for the case, she is respected by both parties.

Because it allows for a narrative to be formed online before the ruling has been made that if the Judge rules in anyway except granting the FTC their preliminary injunction, they'll be able to create this fake outrage online that she's nothing more than a MS puppet

I'm completely expecting that if she denies the FTC their request, there will be a lot of threads and posts online that the Judge was not fit to handle this case and will try to tarnish her reputation. 

It'll be nothing but screaming in the wind anyway lol. I just feel a sense of relief that this might finally be over as early as next week

UnderwaterFunktown said:

If the FTC agreed to this judge knowing this information then it is what it is, but while I agree that the stuff about "supporting the financial success of the child's employer" is a huge reach (this case will very likely have no influence on her son's position in the company and fairly little on the overall success of MS), it's honestly also a reach to completely dismiss the possibility of some small bit of bias, regardless of whether it will actually end up influencing the outcome (most likely it wouldn't). I'm essentially just saying if I was the FTC I'd have asked for a different judge just to be safe, but that's up to them.

Probably, we know that he doesn't even work in the Gaming department, it ain't really a surprise that a Washington Judge has a relative who has worked or works for, one of the largest employers in Washington, if they wanted to avoid that, they'd probably more likely have to find a Judge outside of Washington, Lol. We don't even know his role in Microsoft either.

As for your comment on the overall success, I would point out that Microsoft's stock price actually increased when CMA issued their block against the ABK acquisition. Lmao. This is a very big deal for Gaming but Gaming is still a small fraction of Microsoft and I'm not sure Microsoft shareholders at large really give a shit about it.

You can just as equally say that Judge Corley was appointed by Biden, she is a Democrat, as is Lina Khan, who was also appointed by Biden, so therefore she will side with the Democrats/Biden agenda right? She'll side with Lina because they're both Biden appointed? - No, I don't think this at all, I think it would be silly to say this, as equally as silly as the other suggestion of bias against FTC.

No matter the outcome, both sides will accuse her of bias, one will say she is bias because she was Biden appointed, another side will say she is bias because she has a son who works for Microsoft.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 30 June 2023

lol wouldn't be surprised at all if this son was "hired recently". Microsoft is just next level of low. 

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

All tech companies will let you purchase the companies stock at a discount as part of your benefits package and will even give you stock as a bonus, if the son works in a retail shop he probably doesn't have stock but if he is higher up, he more than likely has some Microsoft stock.  Either way, like I said I don't think the judge should be removed in either case.

did you know the judge comes from the same country as where the Sony US headquarters are

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Ryuu96 said:
JWeinCom said:

There are procedures for disclosing of potential conflicts of interest on behalf of a judge. Were they followed here?

Idk what they were but I do know the FTC/Microsoft had opportunity to object to the judge chosen for the case, they both agreed to her and Judge Corley informed both parties right at the start that she has a son who works at Microsoft, the FTC didn't care and the only reason this watchdog knows about it is because she was honest (before the trial even started) about it.

That was more of a rhetorical for the OP, who doesn't seem to have any interest in actually engaging. I'm sure that's something a judge would always disclose, because even if you're sketchy it's something that will be easily discovered. And I'm sure it's something nobody would actually care about unless the son is in one of a few very specific positions in Microsoft. 

Ryuu96 said:

After Microsoft transferred "donations" to some senators to harm Sony - I've already shown you that this was bullshit multiple times and you continue to ignore it, if you continue to ignore it and continue to create threads based on nonsense then I'll start considering taking away your thread making privileges.

This is NOT a scandal either, the Judge said from day one, minute one that her son works for Microsoft, both the FTC and Microsoft agreed that it wasn't a problem, they both agreed to this judge for this case. Stop with the dang conspiracy theory nonsense in your threads.

It's an insult to her to think she can't make an unbiased decision because her son works at Microsoft, she is a very highly regarded judge and been doing this for a very long time. She is also a judge appointed by Biden, just like Lina Khan was appointed by Biden, so an equally bad conspiracy theory will say she will side with Lina on this, but no, she won't, it means shit, she'll make her own judgement.

Locking in a few minutes.

Obvious agenda is obvious. Can't educate those who don't want the truth, reveling in lies is far more convenient for some.

Ryuu96 said:

After Microsoft transferred "donations" to some senators to harm Sony - I've already shown you that this was a lie, multiple times, and you continue to ignore it, if you continue to ignore it and continue to create threads based on lies then I'll start considering taking away your thread making privileges.

This is NOT a scandal either, the Judge said from day one, minute one that her son works for Microsoft, both the FTC and Microsoft agreed that it wasn't a problem, they both agreed to this judge for this case. Stop with the dang conspiracy theory nonsense in your threads.

It's an insult to her to think she can't make an unbiased decision because her son works at Microsoft, she is a very highly regarded judge and been doing this for a very long time. She is also a judge appointed by Biden, just like Lina Khan was appointed by Biden, so an equally bad conspiracy theory will say she will side with Lina on this, but no, she won't, it means shit, she'll make her own judgement.

Locking in a few minutes.

Keeping it open, for now.

So much this. This guys posts are just pure made up non sense in his head. how he can twist words and bring false shit the whole time must take some mental gymnastics. I mean Did Ms kill someone in his family or something?.