By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can't the PS3 do this?

Because Sony messed up.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Personally, I think it is a matter of available processing power ...

In both cases you're going to try to emulate the Emotion Engine on your CPU while mapping the Graphics Synthesizer to your GPU (in the case of the PC you're abstracting this through Direct3D or OpenGL calls). When you have completed this, if you want to boost resolution (add AA or AF) this is directly related to processing power on your GPU. Unfortunately for Sony the PC has had a crushing advantage in potential GPU power since nVidia returned to multiple graphics card set-ups with the Geforce 6; there were a few Quad SLi Geforce 6800GTX setups which should be far more capable then the capable then the RSX in the PS3.

This all means that these guys can generate screenshots of PS2 games running at 1920x1280 with 16xAA and 16xAF because someone has a dual Geforce 8800GTX setup and is willing to show off.

This may be true, but I don't think the question was "Why can't the PS3 run PS2 games in 1920x1280 with 16xAA and 16xAF?"  If the PS3 can render PS3 games at 1080p, it should be able to render (not upscale) PS2 games in 1080p.  And if you've only got a 720p display, it can probably throw in a little AA and AF while it's at it.

Because PCSX2 has been in development since about a year after the PS2 launched. Also, rec specs: 4 - 5 Ghz machine 1024MB RAM X1800 / Geforce 7800 GT And thats to be running the games at (an average of) 30 fps. I've been following the development for PCSX2 since its inception.

SamuelRSmith said:
Because PCSX2 has been in development since about a year after the PS2 launched. Also, rec specs: 4 - 5 Ghz machine 1024MB RAM X1800 / Geforce 7800 GT And thats to be running the games at (an average of) 30 fps. I've been following the development for PCSX2 since its inception.

Sure... but it was developed blindly, from scratch, by a bunch of basement programmers. Sony's programmers have every advantage by comparison. And where a PC has to do all of its emulation by brute force because it's such a fundamentally different machine, the PS3 should be much more compatible - I mean, as far as I know, most PS3's in the world still actually contain the PS2 in its entirety within the case.

I'm no tech expert, but I don't think I buy the technical limitation theories. So, I dunno... maybe it's in development but it's taking a really long time, or maybe they made a business decision not to bother with it. Which would be a huge shame, if you ask me. 

Borkachev - The machines with the PS2 inside do have ~100% compatability, it's the ones who don't have the hardware inside that need the software. Also, you have to remember that PCSX2 is an open source project with a huge following, meaning that a lot of fixes in the past were made by people not part of the team. And, it's obvious that Sony do have an advantage, considering all my games now work (excluding a monster hunter demo) since 1.8 (I tried all the ones that didn't work before hand). I'd say for every 1 year of PCSX2 progess = ~a month of Sonys progress, meaning that support will be around ~98% by the end of the year. (if they keep at the same rate, that is).

Around the Network

Sony sees it like this: You already own the PS2 game. How would they make additional money, if people already think the PS3 emulates well?

sieanr said:
ckmlb said:
I think 1.8 showed that they are working towards that final goal.

I think 1.8 showed that they have no interest in improving the software emulation in any way, including expanded features like high rez rendering. Sony seems more intent on adding new features.

You mean in any way other than improving European BC by huge amounts?  Or by introducing a smoothing filter in addition to upscaling?  Seems like each release they are improving the software emulation noticeably.  Or were you just trolling?