By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony enters agreement with ProbablyMonsters to acquire Firewalk studios

Around the Network

What did Sony mean by that?

I guess whatever game they've been working on for PS5 since 2021 must be living up to Sony's expectations then.

Jpcc86 said:

What did Sony mean by that?

ProbablyMonsters was the parent company of Firewalk. They had three studios, now two without Firewalk. 

I wish Sony would announce one of the multiplayer games they are working on. All this buildup. It would be weird for them to all come out at once.

We haven't really seen gameplay from any of their upcoming 1st party games actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

I wish Sony would announce one of the multiplayer games they are working on. All this buildup. It would be weird for them to all come out at once.

We haven't really seen gameplay from any of their upcoming 1st party games actually.

Sony is pretty due to make some announcements. I have to imagine there's a show in the next 6 weeks, and that it will be a big one.

Signalstar said:

Should only be 4-6 weeks till they finally have their showcase now. Maybe we'll see TLOU or Horizon multiplayer title there.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/playstation-to-acquire-aaa-multiplayer-developer-firewalk-studios

>Firewalk was set-up in 2018 as part of ProbablyMonsters (a collective of AAA game developers). It was formed by a number of Bungie veterans, including studio head Tony Hsu (previously general manager and senior vice president of Destiny at Activision) and game director Ryan Ellis (previously creative director at Bungie). It now boasts almost 150 employees.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/04/20/welcoming-firewalk-studios-to-the-playstation-studios-family/

>Over five years ago, we jumped at the chance to set up a new studio and build a new IP from the ground up. Recalling our own favorite times with games, we founded Firewalk Studios around the idea of delivering memorable moments – those amazing, had-to-be-there times shared with other people. Our goal is to deliver those shared moments of joy to players around the world.

Building a new studio at scale has been an incredibly exhilarating and relentlessly daunting task. Fortunately, we’ve been supported by great partners throughout – ProbablyMonsters helped turbocharge us in setting up the studio, and Sony has been supporting our project and our creative vision from the beginning.

So 150 employees, a lot of Bungie veterans

Kind of an average sized PlayStation Studio. About the size of Sony Bend / Sucker Punch.

Been working on the game for about 5 years. So one would hope it's well on its way to being released.

Another acquisition that boosts SIE's live service efforts. It must be a promising project if Sony is willing to pull the trigger already.

Signalstar said:

I think for hype and interesting building purposes it makes more sense for an MP centric game to be announced close to release imho.