By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Swinging to Spider-Man 2

G2ThaUNiT said:
coolbeans said:

Hunt: Showdown to the king to topple though.

Player number wise, it would be Tarkov. It averages around 1-2 million players a month whereas Showdown averages a few hundred thousand. Nothing to sneeze at as Showdown has a very healthy playerbase, but Tarkov is particularly major since it's only on PC and can only be played through its own launcher. 

Tarkov was like Destiny. Only Tarkov would be able to take Tarkov down and......the devs are making sure that happens now

Oops!  Spelling error there.  

Anyways, I honestly didn't know the numbers were that high.  Holy shit!

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Player number wise, it would be Tarkov. It averages around 1-2 million players a month whereas Showdown averages a few hundred thousand. Nothing to sneeze at as Showdown has a very healthy playerbase, but Tarkov is particularly major since it's only on PC and can only be played through its own launcher. 

Tarkov was like Destiny. Only Tarkov would be able to take Tarkov down and......the devs are making sure that happens now

Oops!  Spelling error there.  

Anyways, I honestly didn't know the numbers were that high.  Holy shit!

Well, that actually may very well be reversed by this time next month lol. Before Marathon releases, Hunt: Showdown will definitely be the biggest beneficiary of this blunder! 

twintail said:
Runa216 said:

So the Stellar Blade Review Embargo is in a few minutes. What's everyone think?

I expect 85 to start but it;ll go down to 84 by the time it's all said and done

Hope it's higher. Looks amazing but anime waifu games don't usually score them 90+ scores often.

Current score seems apt, and I think pretty respectable. 

Will be good for Shift Up and Sony if it does well, and that will only help Sony's latest push into SK. 

IT's got that pretty expected Anime Score handicap. Not a lot of anime-inspired games get the scores I feel they deserve. Like, even just earlier this year, Granblue Fantasy Relink or whatever it was only got an 80 and everyone I know that plays that game says it's EASILY a 90. I've not played it myself but based on what I've seen, what I've read, and what I've watched it definitely didn't score as high as it should have. From what I'm seeing, Stellar Blade should absolutely be 5+ points higher. Rise of the ROnin, too. But they're both VERY anime-inspired so I guess they don't get the love they deserve. 

This isn't a strict, scientific analysis or anything but I generally add 5 points to the score of any Anime-Inspired game's Meta in my mind. Rise of the Ronin is easily 81, Stellar Blade is easily 87. I get that the Meta score is an amalgamation of ALL the reviews, but most of the reviews are western publications and I think it's fine to acknowledge the bias. IT's fine. Different cultures like different things but I always notice a distinct discrepancy between the Meta Scores and actual quality of Anime games. 

Keep in mind I'm no waifu. I actively dislike anime as a whole and I also tend to be extra critical of anime-inspired stuff. I'm not butthurt or anything, but I definitely notice a difference between the general perception of these games and their critical reception, and it's a pretty consistent discrepancy. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Last 20 years there has been a bias against Asian games for a large part. It peaked in the 7th gen when Japan got a lot of hatred and we saw Japan try and chase western appeal with gritty reboots of DMC, Castlevania, Bomberman, and more. Or they made new IPs chasing Western trends esp Gears. From good ones like Binary Domain to VanQuish to bad ones like Quantum Theory. The hate eased up somewhat in the mid-8th gen when Nier Automata/Persona and stuff came out. Tho there are still the fake outrage morons who raise a fuss about big tits in Dragon's Crown or butts in NA and Stellar. Meanwhile, those same people praise literal fuck in TLOU and naked fuck happy elf men in BG3. The bouncy physics and appeal of the character is no worse than anything in the Dead or Alive main series but certainly doesn't sink to the low of the Volleyball games.

I have played a bit of SB now and it's a great game but it doesn't fit in a singular mold. Some try to sell it as Souls. It's not. Or think it's Nier. It's not. It's a game with a mix of a lot of things. I'd argue there is some Ninja Gaiden in it on top of the others but not an NG game either. It's not Souls. It's not Stylish Action. It's not Nier. Yet it kinda mixes them all in so something familiar and fresh. The music is fantastic. VA is good. The visuals are great. It takes itself seriously as a story and that it has in common with NA.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Started skipping all those Chadley intel missions, and for me, Rebirth becomes a much more fun and streamlined experience. Wish I did this earlier.

PixelPirate said:

Started skipping all those Chadley intel missions, and for me, Rebirth becomes a much more fun and streamlined experience. Wish I did this earlier.

Yea I did that at like the second zone. I know my personality though and that's an easy way for me to get burnt out quickly.

One wonders why FF7 Rebirth and Stellar Blade are the highest user rated games this year.

This is a weird situation, and I'm curious to see what comes out of it. 

Should the title of the thread be changed?