By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

the-pi-guy said:

It's a premium device. They're not expecting it to sell much. It's frankly more aimed at the people who are willing to spend $800 on a GPU.

We're also not in the best place for progress. It used to be the case that we could smaller systems that would get substantially cheaper. And it just doesn't seem to be possible anymore.

It also just feels pretty unnecessary. There were PS4 games struggling to hit 1080p30, that hasn't been the case this gen. A ton of games are hitting 1440p60 or 4k30. 

They spent 18 months on research and development on it, they want it to at least make back it's money.

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:
the-pi-guy said:

It's a premium device. They're not expecting it to sell much. It's frankly more aimed at the people who are willing to spend $800 on a GPU.

We're also not in the best place for progress. It used to be the case that we could smaller systems that would get substantially cheaper. And it just doesn't seem to be possible anymore.

It also just feels pretty unnecessary. There were PS4 games struggling to hit 1080p30, that hasn't been the case this gen. A ton of games are hitting 1440p60 or 4k30. 

They spent 18 months on research and development on it, they want it to at least make back it's money.

That's never been how the console business has worked. It's always been selling console hardware at a loss and making money on software/accessories. 

Then again, everything about this generation we thought we knew about how the gaming industry works has continued to be thrown out the window. Except Nintendo lol

I understand that it is a premium device, but with all the price increases it seems Sony is intent on becoming the HBO Max or iPhone of video games instead of the mass-market Netflix/Android they've always been when they're successful.

If even that, considering all the exclusives released for PC. This has probably all to do with short-term profits for investors and shareholders now that MS is basically out of contention but it doesn't bode well for the future, IMO.

hinch said:

The prices outside of US is insane. £700 is ridiculous for a console which has essentially a low tier, mid range GPU. And its not even that better speccced than a regular PS5. If it had double or more performance (raster) and even more RT performance I could maybe see it.

To add insult to injury they don't even include a disk drive. Nor a Pro controller. I guess this is what you get when Microsoft essentially exits the console business, in the traditional sense anyways.

What do you consider low tier mid range?

- "67% more Compute Units than the current PS5 console and 28% faster memory. Overall, this enables up to 45% faster rendering for gameplay, making the experience much smoother."

- double to triple Ray tracing performance

- AI driven upscaling

rapsuperstar31 said:

That's relatively small. A lot of these projects take several years.

And they're selling it at a high price. 

I'm not saying they don't need it to sell at all, just that they probably only "need" it to sell like a million.  

As per Cerny's specs its something like 40ish% more powerful in rasterisation (non raytraced games) which is roughly on par with an AMD GPU - 7700XT. Raytracing improvements at 2x may put it near a RTX 4070. Which is at the lower end of the mid range graphics cards, currently on the market.

The other stuff is nice like PSSR but this price is crazy.

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

That's never been how the console business has worked. It's always been selling console hardware at a loss and making money on software/accessories. 

Then again, everything about this generation we thought we knew about how the gaming industry works has continued to be thrown out the window. Except Nintendo lol

Nintendo was the first one to not drop their system price, they even raised the price of just a single game because the prequel was a massive unprecendented success for the franchise.

Dunno where this except Nintendo comes from.

All companies, without a single exception, are always pushing as far as they can to screw consumers over for more of their money, I see no exceptions.

And 800 euros for us dirty europeans .this has to be one ofnthe biggest failures sony made.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

And 800 euros for us dirty europeans .this has to be one ofnthe biggest failures sony made.

It'll do better than Concord.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

No disc drive and 700 bucks. I rather spend it on a new in-box Neo Geo. a 34-year-old console. No, I don't have 700 bucks but if I did that's where it would go in gaming than a fucking digital-only console.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

No disc drive and 700 bucks. I rather spend it on a new in-box Neo Geo. a 34-year-old console. No, I don't have 700 bucks but if I did that's where it would go in gaming than a fucking digital-only console.

They're not bundling in a disc drive to make it seem cheaper than what it is. You can still buy it separately but it'll cost you another 80 bucks or so lol. Fuck this generation.