By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

I like the crazy story direction that the FF series is going through.

Not like its the first time.

The last FF game I disliked was X-2.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Damn, so impressed with God of War Ragnarok's sales.

I still need to play the first one and then Ragnarok.

I haven't played Ragnarok yet either. I don't know why I do it. I love Sony exclusives but I also love just letting them sit there for as long as I can and then playing them. I played GOT just last year and thought it was amazing. The ending: You have no Honor” - Uncle Shimura “And you’re a slave to it” - Jin Sakai. Is probably the best lines I've ever hear in a video game. Gave me chills when they said that.

I'm holding out on Ragnarok for as long as I can also. Horizon was really the only one I hopped on "quickly".  Which shows how amazing my luck is that they added to PS+ like two months later. 

haxxiy said:
Kyuu said:

*FF7/FF7R SPOILER ALERT*

I really don't think they know what they're doing lol. They (Kitase wasn't it?) pretty much said the writer (Nojima?) will progress with the story depending on the players' reception of Rebirth's ending.

Plot-wise, it should have been a faithful Remake with just more side content, fleshed out characters, interactions, and backstories, but no fate altering bs. I'm afraid every motherfucker including Sephiroth and Jenova are gonna have their happy or heroic/redeeming endings. Not to mention video game history's most iconic death won't happen, be very prepared for Zack ruining it with the power of love. I can see him taking "our Aerith" with him to his dimension where "the other Aerith" died. Bleh.

Also... am I the only one here annoyed by the spoilers and the amount of stuff they're showing in trailers/screenshots? I swear this game will end up being the most "it's complicated" relationship in my gaming life.

Did they confirm it'll lead to Advent Children?

They 100% have a sketch of the storyline from the get-go, I feel it being subject to change doesn't alter that much.

The thing is that faithful remakes are boring to developers, especially if most were part of the original game, that's why the whole altered timeline thing came to fruition. Honestly, it's a pretty interesting idea, but it could have been better than fate ghosts and a Kingdom Hearts-esque ending.

I've seen the "Aerith will replace Spaerith" theory around and honestly that is just bad. Not only that makes Aerith forcefully take over Spaerith's place (who is an actual other person in a coma or the lifestream) but also tosses her into a reality where Tifa, Barret, Wedge, etc. are dead and Cloud is a vegetable just to stay with an alternate version of a teenage crush/fling (not an actual boyfriend, see the Japanese script).

As for the last question, yeah, that is what the developers said, though it might have been mistranslated/misinterpreted.

*SPOILERS*

I wouldn't mind the timeline thing if it turns out well written and impactful. But I'm not getting the sense that it's going to end well. Imagine if they're doing all of that just for Aerith to suffer the same fate, thus defying expectations and replicating the impact of the original death. That'd be cool if done intelligently, but I don't see it.

I'd agree that a 1 to 1 remake would be boring. But adding side stories, interactions, etc without changing key plot points should have been the way to go in my opinion. For instance.. Yuffie's additions so far have been great (minus Sonon's stretched out "death" scene). And I generally liked what they did to Jessie, Biggs and Wedge (minus their fate).

More importantly... the Remake gave us the precious Betty!

Leynos said:

Nomura just fucking sucks. Wrote or not but if he directs it and has any influence. It's a bunch of nonsense and bullshit. These games really just should have been story wise should be the same. Even if they stretch it out some with character padding like they did with Aerith in FF7Remake. No, he has to change it so Avalanche is less at fault and make everything less sad and inject KH trash. I live for the day Nomura leaves SE.

I'm not a fan of Nomura. Kingdom Hearts games never appealed to me, something about them just irks me! But I don't think he's as involved in this project as some people say. And millions of gamers love his work, especially before KH3.

Good writers don't always make good stories anyways. Some of SE's best are working on FF14, but it looks like FF16 (which is penned by Heavensward's writer) ended up disappointing a lot of fans. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a truly consistent writer or director, all of them will suck at some point in time so long as they don't stop writing.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 12 December 2023

Just my opinion but FF16 > FF8 > FF7.

I'm 99% sure that FF7 Rebirth will be stellar like I said. If you can date Madame M, it could be the best game ever.

Stellar Blade might be coming early next year. 

Around the Network

The titan boss fight in Final Fantasy 16 is mind boggling.

It's easily the best boss fight I've experienced in the last decade, and its up there with some of the best boss fights ever.

PotentHerbs said:

The titan boss fight in Final Fantasy 16 is mind boggling.

It's easily the best boss fight I've experienced in the last decade, and its up there with some of the best boss fights ever.

Shows what Platinum can do with some horsepower. (they only did the boss fights) I love Bayo and the relationship with Nintendo but I do want to see them make an action game with a legit budget on modern consoles and PC.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Shows what Platinum can do with some horsepower. (they only did the boss fights) I love Bayo and the relationship with Nintendo but I do want to see them make an action game with a legit budget on modern consoles and PC.

Credit to Platinum, but the last console game they put out was Babylon's Fall, an all time low stinker lol. 

It is an outlier from their output in terms of quality though, so I do wonder what kind of development struggles it may of had. 

PotentHerbs said:
Leynos said:

Credit to Platinum, but the last console game they put out was Babylon's Fall, an all time low stinker lol. 

It is an outlier from their output in terms of quality though, so I do wonder what kind of development struggles it may of had. 

Babylon Fall was on SE. Remember SE has published a lot of stinkers last few years. SE managed a lot of projects badly. Bab was supposed to be a different game and SE asked for it to be Gaas late in development and the publisher rushed it out. The same SE that gave us Forspoken. The Quiet Man. Avengers. Left Alive. The same company that sold off a studio for 300 million for NFTs then the NFT market died and that studio sold the Tomb Raider IP for 600 million. The same SE that made an exclusive FF16 deal with Sony then complained that FF16 was underperforming at launch.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Babylon Fall was on SE. Remember SE has published a lot of stinkers last few years. SE managed a lot of projects badly. Bab was supposed to be a different game and SE asked for it to be Gaas late in development and the publisher rushed it out. The same SE that gave us Forspoken. The Quiet Man. Avengers. Left Alive. The same company that sold off a studio for 300 million for NFTs then the NFT market died and that studio sold the Tomb Raider IP for 600 million. The same SE that made an exclusive FF16 deal with Sony then complained that FF16 was underperforming at launch.

I don't recall Square Enix being disappointed with FF16's performance, but it is fair to hang the failure of Babylon's Fall on them, if they wanted a live service game midway through development.