By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

DonFerrari said:
the-pi-guy said:

Yeah. I have to imagine that Insomniac has paid for itself several times at this point in just a few years. 

Frankly Insomniac's purchase was probably already paid for, with Spider-Man coming out the year before.

gtotheunit91 said:

This is an interesting turn of events. Not anything major, but PC now has its own dedicated tab alongside PlayStation's other primary tabs. Before, it was below them alongside "PS4 games on PS5" saying "PlayStation games on PC" 

Goes along with the rumors of trophies coming to PC, which I can only interpret as a dedicated PC launcher. 

I still have a hard time believing they'll have a dedicated PC launcher, but I imagine we'll start seeing their games with PC trophies and stuff like that.

I think Sony has a lot of confidence in being able to create new IPs, and they're comfortable dropping IPs when they get stale. 

Yep, I agree, and that is one of the main reasons I like PS, it feels fresh.

One of my biggest disappointments with the ps5 so far is the lack of new ips from sony. It has always been a major strength of theirs but they have played it very safe so far this gen. But it does look like they have some interesting new stuff in the pipeline.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
gtotheunit91 said:

This is an interesting turn of events. Not anything major, but PC now has its own dedicated tab alongside PlayStation's other primary tabs. Before, it was below them alongside "PS4 games on PS5" saying "PlayStation games on PC" 

Goes along with the rumors of trophies coming to PC, which I can only interpret as a dedicated PC launcher. 

I still have a hard time believing they'll have a dedicated PC launcher, but I imagine we'll start seeing their games with PC trophies and stuff like that.

I do too, which I've actually been thinking Sony could be going the Xbox route where on the Steam versions of their games, there's an optional setting in-game where you can login to your Xbox account. So if you play Psychonauts 2 or Pentiment for example on Steam, single player games, and you decide to login to your Xbox account, every time you can get an achievement, you get 2 notifications of the Steam achievement along with the corresponding Xbox achievement. 

I'm wondering if that may be the course Sony chooses. And of course the trophies you unlock carry over if you decide to one day get a PS5. I wonder if cross-saves would be included as well. I certainly hope so because I've gotten 6 PlayStation games on Steam and it would be awesome if my saves and achievements were connected to PSN to take with me wherever. 

pikashoe said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, I agree, and that is one of the main reasons I like PS, it feels fresh.

One of my biggest disappointments with the ps5 so far is the lack of new ips from sony. It has always been a major strength of theirs but they have played it very safe so far this gen. But it does look like they have some interesting new stuff in the pipeline.

That is true, most of their studios don't have works announced and besides Insomniac all the rest is on a slower pace than before. So outside of the GAAS games we haven't seem a big new IP from 1st party. Thankfully we have seem some great 3rd parties.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

gtotheunit91 said:
the-pi-guy said:

I do too, which I've actually been thinking Sony could be going the Xbox route where on the Steam versions of their games, there's an optional setting in-game where you can login to your Xbox account. So if you play Psychonauts 2 or Pentiment for example on Steam, single player games, and you decide to login to your Xbox account, every time you can get an achievement, you get 2 notifications of the Steam achievement along with the corresponding Xbox achievement. 

I'm wondering if that may be the course Sony chooses. And of course the trophies you unlock carry over if you decide to one day get a PS5. I wonder if cross-saves would be included as well. I certainly hope so because I've gotten 6 PlayStation games on Steam and it would be awesome if my saves and achievements were connected to PSN to take with me wherever. 

I think that independent of Sony deciding to make their launcher (or store on PC) having an optional login to PSN to track trophies would make sense.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Gamesindustry.biz

"Sony has one of the most impressive content catalogues on Earth," Severin explains. "Bringing it together in a subscription offering for example could pose a solid competitive answer to Xbox's cross-platform efforts. It will be increasingly difficult to compete with Microsoft on games only. The only response for Sony on the games-only side would be buying something really big like Take-Two, but that is unlikely."

Harding-Rolls predicts Sony will remain active in M&A but will retain its strong position in the current console generation, while Toto expects the company to maintain its current product strategy of focusing on $70 blockbusters.

"Sony surely is under pressure to react, even after their Bungie acquisition," he says. "I expect further investments and acquisitions for PlayStation, including a large one that would move the needle for them in a meaningful way."

Not sure if this is worth talking about. But at least some analysts think that Sony will/should make some kind of big meaningful acquisition. 

Around the Network

(minor spoilers)

Bravo, Insomniac. Another technical tour de force. Really impressed with their sound design and getting ray tracing into every mode!

the-pi-guy said:

Gamesindustry.biz

"Sony has one of the most impressive content catalogues on Earth," Severin explains. "Bringing it together in a subscription offering for example could pose a solid competitive answer to Xbox's cross-platform efforts. It will be increasingly difficult to compete with Microsoft on games only. The only response for Sony on the games-only side would be buying something really big like Take-Two, but that is unlikely."

Harding-Rolls predicts Sony will remain active in M&A but will retain its strong position in the current console generation, while Toto expects the company to maintain its current product strategy of focusing on $70 blockbusters.

"Sony surely is under pressure to react, even after their Bungie acquisition," he says. "I expect further investments and acquisitions for PlayStation, including a large one that would move the needle for them in a meaningful way."

Not sure if this is worth talking about. But at least some analysts think that Sony will/should make some kind of big meaningful acquisition. 

I'm pretty much against big purchases. I rather they open some extra teams on the studios they have and absorve the plenty of laid-off devs that occured this year and perhaps make studios (or finance like they did with Kojima) for the likes of Shinji Mikami (with possibility of acquiring like Haven).

Look, I think a JPN publisher, if possible, would be a good get.

But ai generally agree with the sentiment of securing actual studios rather than publishers.

There's that recent news of Paradox no longer owning HBS. I'd like to see Sony taking in studios like this allowing them to diversify their software output.

twintail said:

But ai generally agree with the sentiment of securing actual studios rather than publishers.

There's that recent news of Paradox no longer owning HBS. I'd like to see Sony taking in studios like this allowing them to diversify their software output.

I would love to see a little more Shuhei Yoshida philosophy's of the PS3 (10 games launched, 6 had loses, 2 broke even and 2 carried them forward) not on the way of losing quality (or even making a lot more titles) but that considering how solid their first party is I would increase their Hero projects from China and Korea to some African, South American and even Oceanic countries making 20-100 team devs second party with acquisition agreement based on milestones and give us very different games.

twintail said:

I mean, outside of Konami, Sony buying any major publisher would come with a handful of studios.