By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Torillian said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Yikes, that is a big number.

You can change state boundaries, or at least try to. A couple counties in Oregon are trying to become part of Idaho, to create the State of Greater Idaho.

I do think it's weird that 2020 election was the highest percentage of Voted/VAP, Voted/VEP, and Voted/Registered than in any US Presidential Election.

I don't find it strange at all that the percentage was so much higher in 2020 as it was by far the easiest time I've ever had voting. I was in Michigan at the time and voting was a chore that took an hour or so and I felt like I was only informed on a couple races. In 2020 they opened up the ability for everybody to do voting by mail and it was amazing. So much more convenient and I got to sit there with the ballot and look up every single person to feel truly informed on my votes all the way down the ballot. I was so disappointed to see everything moved backwards after that towards more difficult and restrictive methods that will inevitably lead to more people not bothering. 

Im pretty sure people have been able to use absentee ballots and mail those in since the 1980's. Even in Michigan. Voting by mail has always been an option since the 80's with absentee ballots.

And I agree voting by mail was very nice, but it was weird when my aunt got three 2020 presidential ballots to fill out with her name on them. Thankfully she was a good citizen and filled out one. 

Also regarding the 2020 election who else was confused when the counters decided to end counting at like 10pm MST (midnight EST), when that has never been the case in any election before. Because I honestly was.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network
Shtinamin_ said:
Renamed said:

Are you sure?

"In 2022, there were 168.42 million people registered to vote in the United States. This is a decrease from the previous election, when 168.31 million people were registered to vote."

Their math ain't mathing.

VEP & VAP is not the same as the amount of registered voters. Please view my posts before this one you are referring to.

And that is what information the US Government has has well. 
Statista is very reliable at least with every other thing I find.

May I ask where you got the quote from? Please.

The quotes comes from the front page of your link. 

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

Renamed said:
Shtinamin_ said:

VEP & VAP is not the same as the amount of registered voters. Please view my posts before this one you are referring to.

And that is what information the US Government has has well. 
Statista is very reliable at least with every other thing I find.

May I ask where you got the quote from? Please.

Ok so whats wrong with the math then?
I was focusing on 2020, why are you focusing on 2022?
We as a society, we have a natural population gain, and have been every year, so of course 2022's registered are more than 2020's.

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
Renamed said:

We as a society, we have a natural population gain, and have been every year, so of course 2022's registered are more than 2020's.

I'm not focusing on anything other than your character analysis of that site and their brazen display of inaccuracy.

You: They do a good job, and are reliable.

Them: "In 2022, there were 168.42 million people registered to vote in the United States. This is a decrease from the previous election, when 168.31 million people were registered to vote."

168.42 is less than 168.31?  Good job?  Reliable?

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

Renamed said:
Shtinamin_ said:

I'm not focusing on anything other than your character analysis of that site and their brazen display of inaccuracy.

You: They do a good job, and are reliable.

Them: "In 2022, there were 168.42 million people registered to vote in the United States. This is a decrease from the previous election, when 168.31 million people were registered to vote."

168.42 is less than 168.31?  Good job?  Reliable?

Ok yeah that statement is rather silly, I'll let them know of their typo.
Can I ask for your help to find another website that is reliable in terms of the number of registered voters? Until then statista.com will be sufficient due to their great track record keeping and data sourcing.

Also are you more worried that the information on the graph is inaccurate or false? Or are you more worried over their analyzing of their own graphs?

Last edited by Shtinamin_ - on 07 December 2023

Around the Network
Shtinamin_ said:
Torillian said:

I don't find it strange at all that the percentage was so much higher in 2020 as it was by far the easiest time I've ever had voting. I was in Michigan at the time and voting was a chore that took an hour or so and I felt like I was only informed on a couple races. In 2020 they opened up the ability for everybody to do voting by mail and it was amazing. So much more convenient and I got to sit there with the ballot and look up every single person to feel truly informed on my votes all the way down the ballot. I was so disappointed to see everything moved backwards after that towards more difficult and restrictive methods that will inevitably lead to more people not bothering. 

Im pretty sure people have been able to use absentee ballots and mail those in since the 1980's. Even in Michigan. Voting by mail has always been an option since the 80's with absentee ballots.

And I agree voting by mail was very nice, but it was weird when my aunt got three 2020 presidential ballots to fill out with her name on them. Thankfully she was a good citizen and filled out one. 

Also regarding the 2020 election who else was confused when the counters decided to end counting at like 10pm MST (midnight EST), when that has never been the case in any election before. Because I honestly was.

Absentee ballots have been a thing since the Civil War if I recall correctly, it's about ease of access in 2020. 

Here's an article on voting by mail. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-absentee-voting-looked-like-in-all-50-states/

You see that giant spike at 2020? My understanding is that was caused by a combination of the pandemic scaring people to go in person and the changes different states made to make it easier for people to vote by mail. 

From the article: 

"And, perhaps unsurprisingly, the biggest spikes in mail voting occurred in places that went the furthest to encourage mail voting (i.e., those that automatically sent every registered voter a ballot), especially those with little history of mail voting prior to 2020. These include New Jersey (where only 7 percent of voters voted by mail in 2016, but 86 percent did so in 2020), the District of Columbia (12 percent in 2016 versus 70 percent in 2020) and Vermont (17 percent in 2016 versus 72 percent in 2020)."

So in my world this increase in the voting percentage is understandable because of the pandemic and the increased ease of voting compared to previous years. What's the reason in your world? Based on the few other comments you've tossed in I can guess but I'm curious if you'll stop beating around the bush and just say "I don't believe the 2020 election results". 

Absentee ballots are big in Arizona because it's very sparsely populated outside of the major urban "islands." Once you get outside of Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff, or Yuma, you can drive for hours without seeing any significant towns.

Torillian said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Absentee ballots have been a thing since the Civil War if I recall correctly, it's about ease of access in 2020. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-absentee-voting-looked-like-in-all-50-states/

You see that giant spike at 2020? My understanding is that was caused by a combination of the pandemic scaring people to go in person and the changes different states made to make it easier for people to vote by mail. 

From the article: 

"And, perhaps unsurprisingly, the biggest spikes in mail voting occurred in places that went the furthest to encourage mail voting (i.e., those that automatically sent every registered voter a ballot), especially those with little history of mail voting prior to 2020. These include New Jersey (where only 7 percent of voters voted by mail in 2016, but 86 percent did so in 2020), the District of Columbia (12 percent in 2016 versus 70 percent in 2020) and Vermont (17 percent in 2016 versus 72 percent in 2020)."

So in my world this increase in the voting percentage is understandable because of the pandemic and the increased ease of voting compared to previous years. What's the reason in your world? Based on the few other comments you've tossed in I can guess but I'm curious if you'll stop beating around the bush and just say "I don't believe the 2020 election results". 

I dont know if the question was directed to everyone, but ill still throw my hat in.
This increase in mail voting was due to the lack of in-person voting office support. There were, and still are, many places that focused pushed and did everything they could to tell their citizens, community, and state to vote using the mai-in ballots.
That all happened due to Covid-19, fear tactics were implemented (not to say that Covid-19 isn't a serious thing, it most certainly was, and still can be if we aren't careful, biological warfare is on the horizon) and everyone didn't dare go outside, everywhere you went was like a ghost town.
So yes, mail-in ballot had a huge surge, and it will most likely have big percent of this upcoming 2024 US Presidential Election.

Why did the counting of ballots take a pause at midnight of Nov 3 2020 when thats never happened before? I find that disturbing, isn't it election day?
I'm not saying I don't believe in the 2020 election results, I'm just curious looking back and noticing things I hadn't before. Is that wrong? If there is any evidence that the results are bad then they'll show up, if there isn't any then they wont show up. I think that pretty simple.

Shtinamin_ said:
Torillian said:

From the article: 

I dont know if the question was directed to everyone, but ill still throw my hat in.
This increase in mail voting was due to the lack of in-person voting office support. There were, and still are, many places that focused pushed and did everything they could to tell their citizens, community, and state to vote using the mai-in ballots.
That all happened due to Covid-19, fear tactics were implemented (not to say that Covid-19 isn't a serious thing, it most certainly was, and still can be if we aren't careful, biological warfare is on the horizon) and everyone didn't dare go outside, everywhere you went was like a ghost town.
So yes, mail-in ballot had a huge surge, and it will most likely have big percent of this upcoming 2024 US Presidential Election.

Why did the counting of ballots take a pause at midnight of Nov 3 2020 when thats never happened before? I find that disturbing, isn't it election day?
I'm not saying I don't believe in the 2020 election results, I'm just curious looking back and noticing things I hadn't before. Is that wrong? If there is any evidence that the results are bad then they'll show up, if there isn't any then they wont show up. I think that pretty simple.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/nov/04/facebook-posts/battleground-states-did-not-stop-counting-votes-el/

I can find no information corroborating your claim that vote counting paused at midnight for any significant amount of time. 

Israel is not only destroying all living conditions in Gaza, also hard at work to destroy Palestinian culture heritage. By killing scholars, professors, poets, archives, mosques, libraries.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/renowned-scholar-with-ties-to-waterloo-ont-university-reportedly-killed-with-his-family-in-gaza-1.6676541
https://lithub.com/poet-and-scholar-refaat-alareer-has-been-killed-by-an-israeli-airstrike/
https://www.palestinechronicle.com/israel-kills-top-palestinian-scientist-president-of-islamic-university-with-whole-family-in-gaza/

The Israeli military has bombed the oldest and biggest mosque, the Great Omari Mosque, in the Gaza Strip. The mosque was built between 5CE and 7CE. The Quds News Network has published images of the destruction of the mosque, which Al Jazeera has verified.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/11/30/gaza-library-palestinian-culture/
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/12/03/npr-gaza-heritage-sites-destroyed-israel
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/israeli-army-blows-up-main-courthouse-in-gaza-strip/3073160
https://www.palestinechronicle.com/israeli-airstrikes-destroys-ancient-mosque-in-gaza-city

Since the start of the war on the Gaza Strip on October 7, Israeli warplanes have destroyed dozens of archaeological sites and ancient buildings in a blatant deliberate attempt to target the Palestinian cultural heritage.

According to the Palestinian Ministry of Culture, the occupation warplanes bombed eight museums, including the Rafah Museum, the Al-Qarara Museum, and the Khan Yunis Museum.

Nine publishing houses and libraries were also destroyed, in addition to the complete or partial destruction of at least 21 cultural centers.

Most parts of the old town of Gaza City were also destroyed, including 20 historical buildings, churches, mosques, museums, and archaeological sites. 

Three studios and media and artistic production companies were also damaged.

As well as razing farmland, even during the ceasefire
https://today.lorientlejour.com/article/1359638/israeli-army-razed-agricultural-land-during-truce-hrw-reports.html

These are all war crimes and part of a genocidal campaign.
Killing thousands and thousands of civilians, targeting journalists and scholars, destroying all infrastructure and culture.
1.8 million people displaced, over 60% of structures damaged and destroyed.

Hunger in Gaza: In northern Gaza, 97% of households have inadequate food consumption and approximately 83% in southern Gaza are "adopting extreme consumption strategies" to survive, the WFP said. The agency said a quarter of households reported burning waste as their main source of cooking fuel with the rest of households using firewood or wood rubbish. On average, households said they had less than half a gallon of safe drinking water per person per day in northern Gaza.

Thomas White, the director of UNRWA affairs in Gaza, says “civil order is breaking down” in the besieged enclave.

“The streets feel wild, particularly after dark – some aid convoys are being looted and UN vehicles stoned. Society is on the brink of full-blown collapse,” White said on X.

Emergency operations crippled: The Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) said work has stopped at its ambulance center in northern Gaza because there is no fuel. The PRCS also said bodies continue to be retrieved from the streets and from under rubble but recovery efforts are hampered because of the lack of fuel. Doctors Without Borders reported the number of corpses arriving at Al-Aqsa Hospital in central Gaza has now surpassed the number of injured.

Israeli military operations: Israeli forces have arrested and questioned hundreds of suspects in Gaza allegedly involved in terror activities, according to a military spokesperson. Meanwhile, images circulating on social media showed a mass detention of men who were made to strip to their underwear, kneel on the street, wear blindfolds and pack into the cargo bed of a military vehicle. At least some of the men are civilians with no known affiliation to militant groups, according to a conversation CNN had with one of their relatives and a statement by one of their employers, a news network.

Gaza death toll: At least 17,177 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks in Gaza since October 7, a spokesperson for the Hamas-controlled health ministry said Thursday. Some 46,000 people have been injured, and the majority of wounded people are children, women, and the elderly, they added.

Many are still missing, dead or alive under the rubble without any way to get to them.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/how-many-palestinians-have-died-gaza-war-how-will-counting-continue-2023-12-06/

In the occupied West Bank, the death toll stands at 266, with 3,365 wounded.

The Israeli army says that 1,147 people have died, including 418 soldiers.

The UN convenes an emergency meeting at 10 AM in NY. Israel is hard at work to bang the drum on the alleged rapes to divert attention from all of the above or to justify it. Still refusing to let any international organizations co-operate on the investigations. Weaponizing rape as a distraction tactic to shift the focus away from the daily atrocities.

Will the US still use its veto?