By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where do you stand on Microsoft buying Activision/Blizzard?

For or against the acquisition?

For 58 41.43%

Against 54 38.57%

Neutral 28 20.00%

Total:140
CaptainExplosion said:
smroadkill15 said:

It's not about affording or not affording; it's about appeasing shareholders. It's certainly not a perfect system, but it's how corporation's functions. On the Xbox side of things, they weren't/won't be hit nearly as hard as other MS divisions. There's not an exact number but my guess is roughly 100 out of 10,000 with 343i hit the hardest. That number may grow since the layoffs continue until March, but it's still a very small portion of the total employees laid off. With that said, the Xbox division is still hiring for varies studio positions. 

Good points, and it's not like those laid off won't be able to get jobs at other tech companies.

The other tech companies are laying off people too though. And those that don't are likely not hiring atm.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/20/google-to-lay-off-12000-people-memo-from-ceo-sundar-pichai-says.html
https://www.reuters.com/business/google-parent-lay-off-12000-workers-memo-2023-01-20/
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3684789/amazon-confirms-more-than-18000-employees-to-be-laid-off.html

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/14/23458204/meta-twitter-amazon-apple-layoffs-hiring-freezes-latest-tech-industry
Apple is not firing people (yet) but stopped recruiting last year, didn't join in on the hiring spree
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-16/apple-lays-off-recruiters-as-part-of-its-slowdown-in-hiring

Sony next?

Around the Network

If it means Xbox consumers will stop being shat on, then I'm for it.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

zero129 said:
ConservagameR said:

So you're telling me that Nin figured out Sony was looking to get more into the games market, shocker, and because they were a massive company and could become serious competition, that after Nin poorly told Sony to kick rocks, Sega didn't even bother? What was Sega thinking? Why not partner with Sony knowing they were willing to compete and would target you if you wronged them in a partnership?

Another question to ask, was if Sony was so big and powerful, why didn't they just do their own thing from the start? Same reason MS tried to partner or acquire?

Ken saw a bright future in gaming, and was right. He was Super correct, considering how important PS is to Sony. DX MS employees simply wanted to get more into gaming, and the excuse used to get in was PS might cut into MS business and cost them billions if not tens of billions in the future. MS didn't care about gaming, they cared about protecting their PC OS profits. Now that gaming is becoming a big thing, MS doesn't just want a slice, they want it all to themselves. You don't spend the kind of money they have on hardware and acquisitions, along with insane subsidies to just take a piece of the pie.

Sony and MS were not the same in terms of entering consoles.

You have a great habit of ignoring the points you want and trying to twist words. I'm not even going to re explain myself to you you can go read my post again until you understand it or go watch some non biased history videos on Sony and MS they are much more a like then you like to think or just simply choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore.

At least Sony didn't knock anyone out of consoles. MS thought about buying Sega but didn't because they thought Sega was to weak to ever take out Sony, so it would be a waste of their time and money. Instead MS launched XB, ending Sega's consoles for good, while aiming to take out PS.

Machiavellian said:

What I would like for you to backup is exactly how has MS been extremely controlling and monopolizing compared to the other companies.  I will be the first to say MS has never been a saint company but neither has any of their competition as well.

Machiavellian said:
ConservagameR said:

The Microsoft Monopoly Ruling Aftermath: Why Microsoft Didn't Split | Time

A Judge Ordered Microsoft to Split. Here's Why It's Still a Single Company

It was Friday, Nov. 5, 1999 when then-Microsoft CEO Bill Gates got the bad news. Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson had declared that his company was a monopoly. And not just any monopoly, but the very worst kind: one that uses its power to squash would-be rivals before they’re even out of the gate. At the time, Microsoft packaged its Internet Explorer web browser with its Windows operating systems, which gave Microsoft an incredible advantage over rivals like Netscape in an era when dial-up Internet meant that downloading and installing alternative web browsers was a slog at best.

“It’s actually hard to imagine how, for Microsoft, it could have come out any worse,” TIME wrote in a Nov. 15, 1999 cover story on Jackson’s decision. But Jackson wasn’t done yet — the declaration that Microsoft was a monopolist was only the first half of his decision. Jackson’s conclusions and remedy wouldn’t come until April and June of the next year, respectively, after Gates had already stepped down as CEO and transitioned into the newly created role of “chief software architect.”

“Assuming he says yea [to the question of whether Microsoft’s monopoly was used to violate antitrust laws]–a near certainty considering Friday’s findings–he can impose a remedy as far-reaching as the total dismemberment of the Gates empire,” TIME wrote in 1999. “The gamut of possible outcomes runs from a mild go-forth-and-sin-no-more to the truly Draconian stuff: forcing Microsoft to share its Windows source code with its competitors or carving up the company into the so-called Baby Bills.” (“Baby Bills” was a clever riff on the “Baby Bells” born of the 1982 breakup of the Bell telephone system.)

In 2000, Judge Jackson took the harsher path, decreeing that Microsoft should be split into two halves, one dedicated to Windows and the other to everything else Microsoft.

So why aren’t there two Microsofts today?

Jackson’s word was far from final. The case found its way to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, which rejected Jackson’s remedy and accused him of unethical conduct after it was http://news.com.com/Former%20judge%20defends%20his%20bid%20to%20break%20up%20Microsoft/2100-1014_3-5755593.html">revealed he had private conversations with reporters about the trial while it was still ongoing. Microsoft would settle the case with the Department of Justice in November of 2001 by agreeing to make it easier for Microsoft’s competitors to get their software more closely integrated with the Windows operating system — a tough pill for Microsoft to swallow, but hardly on the same level as a forced breakup.

These days, it’s harder to see Microsoft as the big monopolist bully Judge Jackson once described. Microsoft Windows operating systems still dominate the PC OS market, but PC OSes are less important than they’ve ever been before, diminishing Microsoft’s ability to use Windows’ market share to make life harder for its rivals. Thanks to the rise of high-speed Internet, web-based solutions and cloud computing in general, it doesn’t really matter what OS you use — Facebook and Gmail don’t care if you’re accessing them from Windows, OS X or Linux. On top of that, we do more of our daily computing on mobile devices like smartphones and tablets, a sphere that’s owned not by Microsoft but by rivals Apple and Google. (Interestingly, that latter company has increasingly run afoul of antitrust regulators, particularly in Europe, where a four-year investigation of Google’s potential abuse of its dominance in search to favor its own secondary products over those of its competitors was just reopened. As the power has shifted from Microsoft to its rivals, so have the watchful eyes of regulators.)

Sure, there have been fresh calls to split up Microsoft — except they’re not coming from regulators, but from Microsoft stockholders and analysts, surely inspired by the trend of corporate spinoffs that’s already hit massive players in tech like eBay, HP and now, potentially, security and storage firm Symantec. Microsoft, the spinoff advocates say, would be better off jettisoning its consumer-facing products, like the Xbox and its Bing search engine, so it can focus on enterprise solutions for corporate customers.

Will we ever see the birth of the Baby Bills? Maybe, but not for a long while: Microsoft’s newest CEO, Satya Nadella, hasn’t even had the reins for a full year yet, but he’s already well underway in changing course to a mostly software-oriented, platform-agnostic company. Microsoft’s stockholders seem to be willing to give Nadella some time to enact his vision, which could preserve the single Microsoft that’s been around since Gates and Paul Allen founded it in 1975 — a single company, even if that’s not so threatening anymore.

Not sure if that really actually proved your point.  Exactly what point are you trying to make.  You made some hint at sleazy tactic but what you just posted have absolutely nothing to do with that insinuation.  Then you made another summary with some conclusion about sleazy tactic but still have not listed anything that support that summary.  MS bundling Internet explorer could be considered as a power move but not a unethical tactic.  Not sure you are talking about the same statements you made previously.

MS get's taken to court for being the worst kind of monopoly, that uses it's power to squash would-be rivals before they're even out of the gate, and is found guilty and get's ordered to separate. Gates even stepped down as CEO during this, coincidentally.

This doesn't prove anything as to MS being extremely controlling and monopolizing? I thought MS wasn't a saint but neither is the competition.

ConservagameR said:
zero129 said:

You have a great habit of ignoring the points you want and trying to twist words. I'm not even going to re explain myself to you you can go read my post again until you understand it or go watch some non biased history videos on Sony and MS they are much more a like then you like to think or just simply choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore.

At least Sony didn't knock anyone out of consoles. MS thought about buying Sega but didn't because they thought Sega was to weak to ever take out Sony, so it would be a waste of their time and money. Instead MS launched XB, ending Sega's consoles for good, while aiming to take out PS.

So i guess the original Xbox came out while the saturn and Dreamcast was on the market?.

ConservagameR said:
Machiavellian said:

What I would like for you to backup is exactly how has MS been extremely controlling and monopolizing compared to the other companies.  I will be the first to say MS has never been a saint company but neither has any of their competition as well.

Machiavellian said:

Not sure if that really actually proved your point.  Exactly what point are you trying to make.  You made some hint at sleazy tactic but what you just posted have absolutely nothing to do with that insinuation.  Then you made another summary with some conclusion about sleazy tactic but still have not listed anything that support that summary.  MS bundling Internet explorer could be considered as a power move but not a unethical tactic.  Not sure you are talking about the same statements you made previously.

MS get's taken to court for being the worst kind of monopoly, that uses it's power to squash would-be rivals before they're even out of the gate, and is found guilty and get's ordered to separate. Gates even stepped down as CEO during this, coincidentally.

This doesn't prove anything as to MS being extremely controlling and monopolizing? I thought MS wasn't a saint but neither is the competition.

Yes we get it you hate MS and like to blame them with Shitty takes for everything meanwhile you bury your head in the sand and put your hands on your ears saying na na na when it comes to Sony. Your not even worth arguing with anymore.

Around the Network
ConservagameR said:
Machiavellian said:

Machiavellian said:

Getting sued and taking to court is one thing.  Winning is another.  Anyone in the US can be taken to court that does not mean guilt.  Being a monopoly is not a crime or is it sleazy tactic as you continue to suggest.  Sleazy tactic would be MS actively preventing software from running on Windows or actively making competition software that run on windows run worse while their software always outperforms.  This is the point I would be looking from you to actually make, not that bundling internet explorer into Windows somehow is a sleazy tactic because one judge thought so.  

Bundling Explorer into Windows I would not consider a controlling move unless MS also made it so that no other browser could be run on the system.  While being the browser for windows, Safari is the default browser for Mac OS. Its expected by user to have a default browser for the OS more than it being a controlling move.  All OS have a default browser, so I still do not see your point.  Also Apple bundle pretty good software within the OS just like MS bundle basic software within Windows. Linux distros also bundling a lot of default software. No one would think paint is preventing someone from using Photoshop but the ideal of having basis features to an OS would not be or is considered a controlling move.  

Machiavellian said:

Getting sued and taking to court is one thing.  Winning is another.  Anyone in the US can be taken to court that does not mean guilt.  Being a monopoly is not a crime or is it sleazy tactic as you continue to suggest.  Sleazy tactic would be MS actively preventing software from running on Windows or actively making competition software that run on windows run worse while their software always outperforms.  This is the point I would be looking from you to actually make, not that bundling internet explorer into Windows somehow is a sleazy tactic because one judge thought so.  

Bundling Explorer into Windows I would not consider a controlling move unless MS also made it so that no other browser could be run on the system.  While being the browser for windows, Safari is the default browser for Mac OS. Its expected by user to have a default browser for the OS more than it being a controlling move.  All OS have a default browser, so I still do not see your point.  Also Apple bundle pretty good software within the OS just like MS bundle basic software within Windows. Linux distros also bundling a lot of default software. No one would think paint is preventing someone from using Photoshop but the ideal of having basis features to an OS would not be or is considered a controlling move.  

About preventing stuff from working, I still haven't found a reason why you can't use a DS4 with Forza Horizon (can't even have one charging or the game is uncontrollable) while it works perfectly fine with Elite Dangerous. Doesn't work with Ori, works with most other non MS games.

Anyway about browsers
https://www.theverge.com/22630319/microsoft-windows-11-default-browser-changes

Microsoft’s upcoming release of Windows 11 will make it even harder to switch default browsers and ignores browser defaults in new areas of the operating system. While Microsoft is making many positive changes to the Windows 11 UI, the default apps experience is a step back and browser competitors like Mozilla, Opera, and Vivaldi are concerned.

In Windows 11, Microsoft has changed the way you set default apps. Like Windows 10, there’s a prompt that appears when you install a new browser and open a web link for the first time. It’s the only opportunity to easily switch browsers, though. Unless you tick “always use this app,” the default will never be changed. It’s incredibly easy to forget to toggle the “always use this app” option, and simply launch the browser you want from this prompt and never see this default choice again when you click web links

I'm still on Windows 10, my kid has a Win 11 laptop and I don't like it. Win 10 was supposed to be the last Windows, but they had to change up the UI again. Not that Win 10 UI is great. And the steps I had to go through to uninstall Edge and make sure it doesn't come back were eye opening. Of course some stuff doesn't work anymore without Edge browser. Anyway I'm sticking with FireFox and not in a hurry to get a new gaming laptop since that means learning a new OS yet again. I just got comfortable with Win 10 :/

SvennoJ said:
Machiavellian said:

About preventing stuff from working, I still haven't found a reason why you can't use a DS4 with Forza Horizon (can't even have one charging or the game is uncontrollable) while it works perfectly fine with Elite Dangerous. Doesn't work with Ori, works with most other non MS games.

Anyway about browsers

Microsoft’s upcoming release of Windows 11 will make it even harder to switch default browsers and ignores browser defaults in new areas of the operating system. While Microsoft is making many positive changes to the Windows 11 UI, the default apps experience is a step back and browser competitors like Mozilla, Opera, and Vivaldi are concerned.

In Windows 11, Microsoft has changed the way you set default apps. Like Windows 10, there’s a prompt that appears when you install a new browser and open a web link for the first time. It’s the only opportunity to easily switch browsers, though. Unless you tick “always use this app,” the default will never be changed. It’s incredibly easy to forget to toggle the “always use this app” option, and simply launch the browser you want from this prompt and never see this default choice again when you click web links

I'm still on Windows 10, my kid has a Win 11 laptop and I don't like it. Win 10 was supposed to be the last Windows, but they had to change up the UI again. Not that Win 10 UI is great. And the steps I had to go through to uninstall Edge and make sure it doesn't come back were eye opening. Of course some stuff doesn't work anymore without Edge browser. Anyway I'm sticking with FireFox and not in a hurry to get a new gaming laptop since that means learning a new OS yet again. I just got comfortable with Win 10 :/

You should bring that up with Sony for not supporting Pc with the Ds 4 and offering official Driver support. No need to blame MS for 3rd party drivers not working right.

Also that other link is not the greatest answer or how it is. I forgot to set Firefox as my default browser on a new install of windows 11 when i did start firefox again im 99% sure it asked me again, even if it didnt it is a simple a matter of going into the default apps in settings and changing it. If this makes it harder for people honestly i dont know what to say. Pretty much afaik its only when you click no it doesnt ask you again but you can still set it in the settings like i said. And if i clicked no to a browser being my default it would be pretty annoying having that pop up every time i open a different browser for whatever reason. So to me this is picking at straws..

Last edited by zero129 - on 23 January 2023

zero129 said:

You should bring that up with Sony for not supporting Pc with the Ds 4 and offering official Driver support. No need to blame MS for 3rd party drivers not working right.

Also that other link is not the greatest answer or how it is. I forgot to set Firefox as my default browser on a new install of windows 11 when i did start firefox again im 99% sure it asked me again, even if it didnt it is a simple a matter of going into the default apps in settings and changing it. If this makes it harder for people honestly i dont know what to say. Pretty much afaik its only when you click no it doesnt ask you again but you can still set it in the settings like i said. And if i clicked no to a browser being my default it would be pretty annoying having that pop up every time i open a different browser for whatever reason. So to me this is picking at straws..

I did, they said take it up with MS lol. What I want to know is, why does it only have problems with MS published games...

it is a simple a matter of going into the default apps in settings and changing it. If this makes it harder for people honestly i dont know what to say.

You don't know 95% of the population then ;) The simple solution is a 'don't ask me again' check box.

And come on, is this user friendly?
https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-edge

I might be able to guide my parents in law to default apps settings but cmd line changes and registry edits, never. Couple times a year we need to come by to make it possible for them to keep browsing, as in clean up all the mess to get stuff working again. Last time the culprit was a full system drive (with nearly 1tb free on alternate drive) which Windows kept trying to survive on. 'Easy' yet lengthy fix, move all the user data to alternate drive, then remove all the add-ons and some nasty malware popping up fake virus threats (which is what they called me for).

Anyway most of my experience with Windows is having to fix it when 'used incorrectly' hence not fond of the OS, always having to fix it for everyone around me. Definitely never ever want to be an Administrator :p

SvennoJ said:
Machiavellian said:

Anyway about browsers

I am on Windows 11 and Chrome is my default browser.  I never was asked to switch to Edge at least I cannot remember nor did it switch to Edge as my default browser when I upgraded.  Not sure if MS changed this after feedback or pressure from other browser companies but it would be an example of MS trying to make it harder for the average PC user to change their default browser.

The UI really isn't all that changed.  Probably take you very short period of time to get up to speed.  I know I have become to all my shortcuts which still work so navigating through the UI is something I rarely do.

Seems like MS is not the only one who makes it hard to get rid of the default browser.  

https://nektony.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-safari-on-mac#:~:text=Safari%20Uninstall%20Extensions%20Mac%201%20Open%20the%20Safari,click%20the%20Uninstall%20button%20to%20remove...%20See%20More.

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 23 January 2023