By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Secret Santa PC Event

Bandorr said:

I think I had this question last year but I'll ask again,
When people set their "rank" are they actually setting it or is that just steam doing that.

Like should I take that into account when looking at their wishlist as "This is the order of what they want for themselves"?

Because I'm looking at my order and I didn't order those like that. I didn't even notice there is a number until this second...

You can drag and drop games to set the order but I don't know if many people do it.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Bandorr said:

When people set their "rank" are they actually setting it or is that just steam doing that.

Like should I take that into account when looking at their wishlist as "This is the order of what they want for themselves"?

Because I'm looking at my order and I didn't order those like that. I didn't even notice there is a number until this second...

You can drag and drop games to set the order but I don't know if many people do it.

It would be helpful if people did though. Might be a question worth asking next year.

"Did you order your wishlist by rank" or some such.

But looking at the rank by price, added etc I see no real rhyme or reason. So I'll ignore it.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Bandorr said:
TruckOSaurus said:

It would be helpful if people did though. Might be a question worth asking next year.

But looking at the rank by price, added etc I see no real rhyme or reason. So I'll ignore it.

Well, you can see if the list has been modified in any way by looking at it as it appears vs ranked by the date the games were added. If they're the same, then there's no preference, but if the lists change, then you've got a clue of what he may prefer.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Bandorr said:

Well, you can see if the list has been modified in any way by looking at it as it appears vs ranked by the date the games were added. If they're the same, then there's no preference, but if the lists change, then you've got a clue of what he may prefer.

Yes that is clever. An item simply gets added to the bottom.  So if it is moved that indicates something. Thank you.

Bandorr said:

Steam, by standard, adds new entries to a wishlist to the bottom of the list.

However, anyone can change the list, so that the ones one wants most are at the top of the list. If done, then normally you see a number for the game's rank - if the wishlist you have is ordered. To give you an example, here's an excerpt of my wishlist:

On top in the web address, you can see /#sort-order if the list is ordered. Also, you probably can see the numbers at the bottom left of each game.

New entries or games that simply have never been moved around show up at the end without any number, so it's entirely possible that only a part of the list is actually ordered.

Edit: Doublechecked with someone else's account, and you can't actually see their ranking numbers, only the account owner can see those. As a result, you'll never know at which point the list is not ordered anymore and just games added to it.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 21 December 2022

Around the Network

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Boffer.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I attacked gifted my enemy recipient with the heat of a thousand suns gifts.

Bandorr said:

I attacked gifted my enemy recipient with the heat of a thousand suns gifts.

I'm sure your offensive generosity will be fruitful appreciated by your Tiny Tim.

Gifts sent to Tiny Tim and no fighting with regional restrictions this year!

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

Gifts sent to Tiny Tim and no fighting with regional restrictions this year!

That's great news, and also a relief.