By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Barozi said:
Ryuu96 said:

Fuck me. That sucks.

Company of Heroes 3 must have bombed.

That is nearly half the studio.

Might affect Age of Empires support temporarily too.

Not even out yet on consoles though.

Their main market is on PC of course.

Yeah and it doesn't even sound like it did that well on PC if nearly half the studio was laid off. Company of Heroes 2 has more players right now than 3 and it's a 10 year old game at this point.

Relic also added MTX a couple weeks after launch which is leaving a bad taste in players mouths. RTS games don't do that well on consoles. So I'm not expecting the game to do as well on console than PC. 

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

PORT BEGGING WORKS!

lmao I'm sorry but wtf...I literally saw these guys post about not putting their game on Xbox like less than 24 hours ago. You telling me it took them less than a day to decide "oh, actually, we can launch on Xbox too"?

Either porting games is even easier than I thought it was, or this gotta be some kinda publicity stunt right? Ain't no way you can 180 that fast.

OMFG! GOAT!

Angelus said:

lmao I'm sorry but wtf...I literally saw these guys post about not putting their game on Xbox like less than 24 hours ago. You telling me it took them less than a day to decide "oh, actually, we can launch on Xbox too"?

Either porting games is even easier than I thought it was, or this gotta be some kinda publicity stunt right? Ain't no way you can 180 that fast.

I didn't beg for it.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

No interest in the Minecraft film until now

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

OMFG! GOAT!

LOL OMG, you must be so trilled haha

Imaginedvl said:
Ryuu96 said:

OMFG! GOAT!

LOL OMG, you must so trilled haha

On the moneyhatting issue. I'm just trying to figure this stuff out.

Lets take last generation console hardware numbers for the example. (117 million PS4s vs 51 million Xbox Ones)

To moneyhat a game isn't as simple as outbidding the competitor?

For Sony to moneyhat a big AAA game, let's say 80 million dollars to keep it off of 51 million Xboxs.
Xbox could offer 120 million dollars to keep it off of 117 million PS4s and even though they outbid the competition by a lot it would still be turned down because of the smaller Xbox player count base vs the larger Playstation base?

They could offer even larger amounts of money, but with the smaller player base this would just end up becoming a loss on Xbox's part and a bad investment.

The way I see it, there is no way for Xbox to successfully moneyhat games, it isn't an equal playing field. Outright purchasing developers and publishers does seem the proper route for Xbox.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:

Lets take last generation console hardware numbers for the example. (117 million PS4s vs 51 million Xbox Ones)

For Sony to moneyhat a big AAA game, let's say 80 million dollars to keep it off of 51 million Xboxs.
Xbox could offer 120 million dollars to keep it off of 117 million PS4s and even though they outbid the competition by a lot it would still be turned down because of the smaller Xbox player count base vs the larger Playstation base?

They could offer even larger amounts of money, but with the smaller player base this would just end up becoming a loss on Xbox's part and a bad investment.

The way I see it, there is no way for Xbox to successfully moneyhat games, it isn't an equal playing field. Outright purchasing developers and publishers does seem the proper route for Xbox.

Yeah that pretty much covers it! Not to mention the major PR backlash if Xbox did try to moneyhat the likes of FF16, Resident Evil 4, or some other major AAA third party game. It would make the Tomb Raider backlash look like child's play! 

There's a reason why their third party exclusives have stuck with indie and AA titles only since Tomb Raider. 

DroidKnight said:

It is. Some don't like hearing it but acquisitions are really the only way that Xbox can compete now without taking another absolutely gigantic beating again and they may have put themselves in this situation but that doesn't change the fact that this is how they should be competing now. I think some who argue that Microsoft should be opening new studios instead of acquiring don't do so in good faith.

Moneyhatting just doesn't make business sense anymore due to the huge gulf in install base for a number of factors so Microsoft needs to acquire.

Acquire is also better for Game Pass, they need to own their IPs, they need studios working specifically for them and only them to fill Game Pass with content, Netflix made a mistake once of relying too much on licensed content and then when everyone wanted their piece of the pie they started yanking TV Shows from Netflix.

Difference here is that Gaming is a lot easier to get into than the Film/TV industry for a creator so Microsoft needs to horde a lot of developers for themselves. They need to do so to supply Game Pass with content which never leaves, to ensure they have full control over the IPs, to ensure the developer never leaves them for another publisher, to compete with Sony because they simply can't compete on a moneyhat level.