By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:

Below $1,000 isn't reassuring, that's a bit of a high ceiling

Below $1,000! It's $900!

Microsoft just needs to get Game Pass natively on Steamdeck.

I see AMD just announced the Ryzen Z1 and Z1 extreme APU that will be featured in the ROG ally. considering the APU should be better than the 6800U which is featured in the Ayaneo 2, my hope is low for the pricing, especially since one features a way more capable GPU option. my guess is $800+ for the basics version and $1100+ for the one featuring the Z1 extreme.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - Return of Rome Teaser - YouTube

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is one of the most beloved strategy games ever made and now for the first time on Xbox and Xbox Game Pass, featuring brand new mechanics optimized for controller for both new and seasoned players alike.

Welcome to Return of Rome, a completely new type of expansion pack which brings Age of Empires, the title that started it all, into Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition as a brand new self-contained experience.

This new expansion will allow you to challenge friends with the original sixteen Age of Empires civilizations — plus one brand-new Return of Rome exclusive civilization, the Lac Viet— and relive the triumph and trials of antiquity.

Battle your way across the ancient world with three new campaigns featuring conquerors, empire-builders, and gifted tacticians fighting desperately against fate! As an additional bonus, the Romans will no longer be bound by time as they become a new playable civilization within Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, ready to battle in the new Age.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 25 April 2023

Ryuu96 said:

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - Return of Rome Teaser - YouTube

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is one of the most beloved strategy games ever made and now for the first time on Xbox and Xbox Game Pass, featuring brand new mechanics optimized for controller for both new and seasoned players alike.

Welcome to Return of Rome, a completely new type of expansion pack which brings Age of Empires, the title that started it all, into Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition as a brand new self-contained experience.

This new expansion will allow you to challenge friends with the original sixteen Age of Empires civilizations — plus one brand-new Return of Rome exclusive civilization, the Lac Viet— and relive the triumph and trials of antiquity.

Battle your way across the ancient world with three new campaigns featuring conquerors, empire-builders, and gifted tacticians fighting desperately against fate! As an additional bonus, the Romans will no longer be bound by time as they become a new playable civilization within Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, ready to battle in the new Age.

I just saw this trailer. So......they're merging AoE DE into AoE II DE? Yet the original AoE DE will still exist? I remember the first game getting ported to the second games engine, but I didn't think this is what would come of it. 

So I'm not entirely sure what the overall purpose of this is lol. This does pretty much confirm though that the original game will never be ported to console. I don't think 3 will either at this point because of the card system.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Below $1,000! It's $900!

I doubt that will happen.  SteamDeck games when not using Windows uses OpenGL I believe for its rendering engine.  Thus downloading Windows type games when using on Steam OS will not work.  It would also take Valve to update SteamOS to run native windows apps which I doubt they will do because what would be the point of Steam OS. 

Ryuu96 said:

Below $1,000! It's $900!

Well, you have to remember that the Asus ROG Ally is quite alot more powerful than the Steam Deck, so it's stands to reason that it will cost more. The Ally is for people who want the most powerful handheld on the market today.

Steam Deck vs Asus ROG Ally

Steam Deck Asus ROG Ally basic Difference over Steam deck Asus ROG Ally premium Difference over Steam Deck
CPU AMD Zen 2, 4 cores/8 threads, 2.4-3.5 GHz variable frequency AMD Zen 4, 6 core/12 thread 2 generation newer CPU plus 2 more cores/4 more thread AMD Zen 4, 8 core/16 thread 2 generation newer CPU plus 4 more cores/8 more threads
GPU RDNA 2, 8 CU's, 1.0-1.6 GHz variable frequency, maximum of 1.6 tflops RDNA 3, 4 CU's, maximum of 2.8 tflops 1 generation newer GPU, maximum tflops increase of 1.2 RDNA 3, 12 CU's, maximum of 8.6 tflops 1 generation newer GPU, maximum tflops increase of 7
RAM  16 GB LPDDR5 at 88 GB/s 16 GB LPDDR5 (unknown speed) ?? 16 GB LPDDR5 (unknown speed) ??
Storage Steam Deck offers 3 options here at different price tiers, 64 Gb of slow eMMC, 256 GB mid speed SSD, and a 512 GB faster SSD 512 GB NVMe SSD should be equivalent to the high end Steam Deck SSD 512 GB NVMe SSD should be equivalent to the high end Steam Deck SSD
Display 7" 800p IPS, 60 hz max 7" 1080p IPS, 120 hz max, 500 nit (HDR capable), FreeSync capable higher resolution, higher refresh rate, FreeSync capable, and higher maximum brightness allowing HDR 7" 1080p IPS, 120 hz max, 500 nit (HDR capable) higher resolution, higher refresh rate, FreeSync capable, and higher maximum brightness allowing HDR
Weight 669 grams 608 grams 61 grams lighter 608 grams 61 grams lighter
Unique features Track pads Support for external GPU Support for external GPU
OS SteamOS (Windows can be installed but takes effort) CustomOS allowing for install of games from Steam, Epic Games Store, Xbox Game Pass for PC, Ubisoft Connect, the EA App, and more right out of the box. More native game support out of the box CustomOS allowing for install of games from Steam, Epic Games Store, Xbox Game Pass for PC, Ubisoft Connect, the EA App, and more right out of the box. More native game support out of the box
Price

3 tiers, Basic ($399), mid ($529), high ($650)

Under $1,000 (we can assume they mean both models are under $1,000, meaning that the base model should be like $700 tops and then the premium closer to $1,000 with it's much more powerful chipset) Under $1,000 (we can assume they mean both models are under $1,000, meaning that the base mode should be like $700 tops and then the premium closer to $1,000 with it's much more powerful chipset)

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 25 April 2023

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

EpicRandy said:
Ryuu96 said:

Below $1,000! It's $900!

I see AMD just announced the Ryzen Z1 and Z1 extreme APU that will be featured in the ROG ally. considering the APU should be better than the 6800U which is featured in the Ayaneo 2, my hope is low for the pricing, especially since one features a way more capable GPU option. my guess is $800+ for the basics version and $1100+ for the one featuring the Z1 extreme.

I'm actually looking forward for this baby.

I have the SteamDeck and while amazing, it has flaws, which I think will be solved with the Ally.

- Windows support is not perfect. I mean you can install Windows, you can get drivers, setup your controller, etc.. But this is really not "plug and play" in any way. Yes you can get GamePass on your Deck if you make the effort but it is really not as good as having it natively supported.

- Subpar performance. I want this kind of device for 2 things: GamePass and Emulation. It works for emulation but quickly reaches limits when you emulate more recent stuff. The Ally is packing some serious power :) I want this to play my D4 while pooping! (I played D4 on the deck, it works tho, but again, very low resolution/settings)!

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.