By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

If I was playing Redfall in a group I would probably want the 60fps. Just kicking back and playing on the theatre screen single player I guess 30 fps would be fine. Lately I've only been growing the backlog so not point in me jumping in early. Diablo IV and Starfield are the only titles this year that I'll be there on day one.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Colin Moriarity was saying on a recent episode of his podcast (Sacred symbols, PlayStation podcast) that he was told in confidence be a developer of an FPS that 70% of the players of that game would opt for the 30 fps high resolution mode over the 60fps mode, and this was even though the 60fps mode was default, and you had to opt into the 30fps mode.

Unfortunately I think those of us that like high frame rates are in the minority and the developers must know this. They probably have the data telling them this.

EpicRandy said:

Really strange decision indeed but not that much of a deal breaker for me.
I sure love 60fps game but will take lock 30 anytime over flimsy 60fps.
Also since Redfall isn't aimed at competitive PvP but PvE make 60 fps somewhat less of a requirement.

But yeah really weird they can't do 60fps, should be easy to just drop some post processing and lower resolutions unless it is entirely a CPU bottleneck. This may point to the game not forcing the players to stick together as the culprit. Maybe the game is built so that the host is actually doing all the processing.

I find it funny that people are saying not having a performance mode where most games with performance mode never maintain it is a deal breaker.  I do not know how many games I have seen with performance mode have a choppy 60FPS experience the majority of the time and the biggest game last year which was Elden Ring barely could maintain 30FPS.

I personally would be happy if the game has a rock solid 30fps then a choppy 60fps where it dropping frames all the time but then again that is me.  I just want the game to be fun and interesting to play as I have lined up a few friends and my family to jump in and play the game.  Either way, until I get a chance to play will I know if I actually care about 60fps.

Tim's HiFi Soundtracks to Design Games / Relax / Study to - YouTube

Y'all can relax with this.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
EpicRandy said:

Also since Redfall isn't aimed at competitive PvP but PvE make 60 fps somewhat less of a requirement.

But yeah really weird they can't do 60fps, should be easy to just drop some post processing and lower resolutions unless it is entirely a CPU bottleneck. This may point to the game not forcing the players to stick together as the culprit. Maybe the game is built so that the host is actually doing all the processing.

I find it funny that people are saying not having a performance mode where most games with performance mode never maintain it is a deal breaker.  I do not know how many games I have seen with performance mode have a choppy 60FPS experience the majority of the time and the biggest game last year which was Elden Ring barely could maintain 30FPS.

I personally would be happy if the game has a rock solid 30fps then a choppy 60fps where it dropping frames all the time but then again that is me.  I just want the game to be fun and interesting to play as I have lined up a few friends and my family to jump in and play the game.  Either way, until I get a chance to play will I know if I actually care about 60fps.

Yeah, not many open world games have a rock solid 60fps. Hell, even Horizon Forbidden West's Performance Mode was super choppy that many gamers preferred the 30fps Quality Mode. It was a post-launch patch that allowed it to properly run at 60fps. 

Many forget it's rare for open world games to have great performance to begin with. Let alone a combination of high resolution and high framerate lol

Machiavellian said:
EpicRandy said:

I don't know. Maybe because I'm really use to 60FPS, but for a first person shooter (not an RPG, as I think it does not matter too much); it really bothers me.
That's also why I do not care about quality mode, I always go for the max FPS mode even if the graphics are not as good.

Unless I'm on my PC ;D

Even for an ARPG (Diablo 2 Res); I really find it aweful on Series X in "quality" mode, I  believe it is 30FPS and the game is just drastically different in "Performance" mode (60FPS). I would not say that it is a deal breaker for me tho, but if I can choose, I would give up 30FPS/better quality any day for an 60FPS one.

I'm playing a full playthrough of Zelda BTOW right now in master mode before the new one comes out :) And seriously, the FPS is aweful haha. Does not make the game unplyable for me at all, but it is very noticable and I cannot see myself playing a full FPS with those frame drops. 30FPS would be the bare minimum for sure.

Here's a question. How many current-gen only open world games are there that run at 60fps? Because outside of Ghostwire: Tokyo and soon-to-be Redfall, I can't really think of any.

The only open world games that have been released in the past couple of years that have run at 60fps so far were the cross-gen games where the current-gen console is the only one with a 60fps option, but the game was still designed with last-gen hardware in mind.

Bethesda games seem to be the only ones with a current-gen only open world game. So, it may be more difficult to get Redfall running at 60fps than we think. Even Ghostwire had extensive delays before it finally released. So it'll be interesting to see what Spider-Man 2 and Starfield are capable of running on current-gen only hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if even Spider-Man 2 has a 30fps Quality Mode. FF16 isn't an open world game either. 

Still, delaying Redfall would be a good idea to ensure that 60fps is available at launch. And for their to be no online requirement for SP.

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 12 April 2023

gtotheunit91 said:

Here's a question. How many current-gen only open world games are there that run at 60fps? Because outside of Ghostwire: Tokyo and soon-to-be Redfall, I can't really think of any.

The only open world games that have been released in the past couple of years that have run at 60fps so far were the cross-gen games where the current-gen console is the only one with a 60fps option, but the game was still designed with last-gen hardware in mind.

TBH outside of Ghostwire I can't think of a single open world game that's out that isn't cross-gen. So can't really answer that.