By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

Well this is bad. Blizzard's popularity in China was Xbox's key to moving hardware in China and fixing the issue with Chinese games skipping Xbox. Xbox is going to need to renegotiate a deal with Netease or try their luck with Tencent as soon as the acquisition closes.

Around the Network

Pentiment's Success Story w/ Josh Sawyer - Kinda Funny Xcast Ep. 116 - YouTube

Community Questions.

Short Term: Fixing bugs and adding features to Pentiment.

Role at Obsidian: He's Studio Design Director so he will at least go back to giving feedback on different projects. When desired he can come onto a team if he has the time, to either work out a system to help lead a sub-team. He will probably be doing some of that in the short-term future because that has always been a part of his job.

Future Ideas: No idea if he can do them but he has had one idea for a while of a "Bike Shop Simulator" where you run a bicycle sale and repair ship, as he's really into cycling. He also thinks it would be cool to make an SRPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting, sort of like Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem.

He's only thinking about small to medium sized projects right now, big projects he doesn't know because he has been in small project mode for so long that it's hard for him to think about things at a large scale, but he says we'll see and he wouldn't say that he would not work on a big project again, it just hasn't been where his mindset has been the past few years.

On Fallout: "I love Fallout, I love the setting, I could see myself working on it again, but we'll see where the future takes me".

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

image.png (1464×605) (discordapp.net)

Well this is bad. Blizzard's popularity in China was Xbox's key to moving hardware in China and fixing the issue with Chinese games skipping Xbox. Xbox is going to need to renegotiate a deal with Netease or try their luck with Tencent as soon as the acquisition closes.

Idk. NetEase seem to be slimy here.

Beyond financial terms, key sticking points to the NetEase extension were ownership of intellectual property and control of the data of millions of players across China, people familiar with the discussions said. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks weren't public.

What right does NetEase have to own IP? Also, these agreements represented 3% of Activision Blizzard’s net revenue in 2021. I think they'll renegotiate with Tencent, but I doubt even Microsoft would hand over IP rights and player data to NetEase, it's a thorny subject right now between America/EU and China.

Broooooo that opening Forge map/mode!!! The creativity is off the charts!!!

Also, with that cannon, who needs SoT?!

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Beyond financial terms, key sticking points to the NetEase extension were ownership of intellectual property and control of the data of millions of players across China, people familiar with the discussions said. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks weren't public.

What right does NetEase have to own IP? Also, these agreements represented 3% of Activision Blizzard’s net revenue in 2021. I think they'll renegotiate with Tencent, but I doubt even Microsoft would hand over IP rights and player data to NetEase, it's a thorny subject right now between America/EU and China.

Yeah, I wouldn't negotiate with NetEase if they want such bad terms. Go with Tencent instead. But Blizzard games must be on Xbox in China if we are to have any hope of fixing the situation with tons of Chinese games skipping Xbox. 

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Huh, that is weird. IP rights would be a no go for any company I would imagine. As much as I despise Tencent, I'd take them over NetEase (assuming NetEase is indeed trying to take control over IP's they don't own).

NobleTeam360 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Huh, that is weird. IP rights would be a no go for any company I would imagine. As much as I despise Tencent, I'd take them over NetEase (assuming NetEase is indeed trying to take control over IP's they don't own).

I'm trying to picture what was being said at the meeting. Like, how does NetEase think they can demand IP rights? 

So, finally got the special screwdriver I needed to take my Series X controller apart. Turns out it wasn't a spring that had popped loose, but rather the long piece of plastic that attaches to the underside of the plastic Right bumper and pushes the inner actuator was snapped and had fallen off to the side, preventing the inner actuator from being pressed no matter how much I pushed the right bumper. I tried to super glue the broken plastic piece, but it broke off immediately again when I reattached the bumper assembly to the console after a night of drying, so then I got the idea to wedge some lens wipe cloth in above the broken piece and beside the broken piece to keep it from falling over. Put the controller back together and the right bumper works fine now, but now the controller won't detect batteries and only works when wired, smh.