By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
the-pi-guy said:

So hypothetically, if MS releases a pro console, how do people think they will arrange that?

3 consoles where there is a Series S, Series X, and a Series X2 or something?

2 consoles where Series X becomes the Series S, Series X2 becomes the new Series X?

2 consoles where Series X2 becomes the new Series X, and Series S2 becomes the new Series S?

Some inconceivable fourth way?

They will likely introduce 4 new sku. Both slim version of the X and S named X-s an S-x (avoiding SS obviously and also avoiding any and all possible confusion). Than introduce a pro (X-treme) and a handheld streaming only (S-tream).

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 14 March 2023

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

So hypothetically, if MS releases a pro console, how do people think they will arrange that?

2 consoles where Series X becomes the Series S, Series X2 becomes the new Series X?

2 consoles where Series X2 becomes the new Series X, and Series S2 becomes the new Series S?

Hope they don't, Lol. But they obviously will both do one (Xbox & Sony).

I'm so "meh" about a Pro console for this generation at this stage and I find the rumour of a 2024 "Pro" console a bit annoying, Lol.

Feels like this generation has barely started thanks to the Pandemic and we've not even left last gen yet 3 years into the new gen, I can probably name all the major PS5/Xbox Series/PC only titles with two hands. These consoles have nowhere near had the most pulled out of them and we're already talking about a Pro console.

Really don't see the point...Last generation it made sense because consoles had an awful CPU bottleneck but this generation both consoles are very powerful, well built and well rounded devices with no major bottlenecks that I know of, aside from how demanding RTX may be but who cares, Lol. So I've got zero excitement for a "Pro" right now and the worst part is I'll still end up buying one because I'd feel like my Series X just became a weak console, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 March 2023

Just a beefier Series S. Leave the Series X alone. Should be fine for the entire generation.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I think they'll do a Series X Pro only, I don't know what they'll call it, so it'll be.

Series S (Low End) - Series X (Mid End) - Series ? (High End).

I'd also expect them to do a digital only Series X.

idk why but I envision for next gen, series X becomes the cheaper option (hopefully the parts will eventually be cheap enough for a $300 pricepoint) and MS just releases a new more powerful SKU for beefier games. Series S will be sunsetted and can still stream next gen games via cloud. No mid gen refresh

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

Definitely 3 consoles imo. I don't see them abandoning Series S only 4 years into the generation, especially since more than half of their sales so far seem to be S sales. The other 2 scenarios you highlighted would both force them to abandon Series S. There is definitely room for all 3 in the second half of the generation imo:

S: 720p or so FSR upscaled to 1080p with settings pulled from PC medium initially scaling down toward PC low by the last year of the generation

X: 1440p or so FSR upscaled to 2160p/4K with settings pulled from PC high initially, including low end RT settings, scaling down toward PC medium settings by the last year of the generation

X Pro: Native 4K with a mix of settings pulled from PC ultra and high initially, including higher end RT settings than regular X, scaling down toward a mix of PC high and medium settings and somewhat less than native 4k resolution by the last year of the generation

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 March 2023

Phew.. finally completed all collections and side quests on Hogwarts Legacy. But of course they also added achievements of reaching a certain story point with each room ffs.

The game was great fun for a while but the more I played the more annoying it became. Story & side quests were as lame as it gets, huge world felt empty with nothing exciting to discover. Poor performance too.

It's baffling to see so many people saying this could be GOTY... GTFO I'd say.

Imaginedvl said:
shikamaru317 said:

On the other hand, it does look pretty shitty when you compare it to PoE 2, which is going F2P with a similarly large campaign to Diablo 4. They are using their cosmetics to fund the game being F2P to start with, unlike Blizz who is doing both B2P (buy to play) and cosmetic battlepasses.

That's the thing. I'm huge ARPG fan. I'm playing Diablo since the start, playing D2R/D3 right now still, every season/ladders. 
As an hardcode Diablo fan, I'm more than happy about the route they are going...

And I'm playing POE... POE "is" a free to play game but you get what you paid for... Diablo and POE are 2 different beasts. I'm sorry for the POE fans out there but Diablo is just at another level and I'm okay to pay 70$ for that.

Diablo 4 may well turn out to be a superior package to PoE...but PoE shits all over Diablo 3

Also, I absolutely do not wanna hear jack shit about some Pro consoles coming in the next two years. We've barely even gotten any current gen only games at this point...miss me with the idea of trying to sell me another console already.

Ryuu96 said:
the-pi-guy said:

Hope they don't, Lol. But they obviously will both do one (Xbox & Sony).

I'm so "meh" about a Pro console for this generation at this stage and I find the rumour of a 2024 "Pro" console a bit annoying, Lol.

Feels like this generation has barely started thanks to the Pandemic and we've not even left last gen yet 3 years into the new gen, I can probably name all the major PS5/Xbox Series/PC only titles with two hands. These consoles have nowhere near had the most pulled out of them and we're already talking about a Pro console.

Really don't see the point...Last generation it made sense because consoles had an awful CPU bottleneck but this generation both consoles are very powerful, well built and well rounded devices with no major bottlenecks that I know of, aside from how demanding RTX may be but who cares, Lol. So I've got zero excitement for a "Pro" right now and the worst part is I'll still end up buying one because I'd feel like my Series X just became a weak console, Lol.

The pro consoles didn't do much for the CPU for either console. The far bigger jump was GPU performance. 

It was mostly because they wanted to push 4K. I kind of doubt they would want to push "8K" consoles. But maybe they would want consoles that are more reliably 4K60.  

Totally agree with you, it feels like the gen has barely started. But I feel like neither Sony or MS would want to get left behind if the other one were to make a pro console...