By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network

Glad to hear that Developer Directs are here to stay. It would be lame if it was just a one-off to tide us over until E3 xD. Hoping the Starfield event is relatively soon, like Feb-March time. I still really want to see Fable, Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3, Avowed, Hellblade II etc... but I guess E3 will be for those games (I'm assuming Forza, Starfield, Redfall, etc... will launch before E3 so we'll need to see looks at most if not all of the aforementioned games.

gtotheunit91 said:
Imaginedvl said:

I don't know. Maybe I'm not seeing it all but I do not see why Starfield would be delayed again so far; at least there is really no indication of it. 
Esp. with Microsoft stating that they are preparing a show specifically for it.

I have faith; I think Starfield is going to be in during first half of 2023. 

I'm still optimistic it will be too. It would be truly bizarre to market a Starfield only showcase in January and have it not be released within the following 5 months lol. That's just way too much of a stretch to start getting hype going and then not deliver somewhat soon afterwards. 

If Starfield is delayed.

+ They'd be no point announcing a Starfield deep dive this early.

+ They'd be no point doing one until after June E3.

+ If Starfield is delayed but they still have a deep dive before E3...I think it would be a waste of developers time and resources.

I've flipped between June/September about 10 times in the past hour

What if they release it in June, a week after E3, Lol. Have the Xbox showcase in June and then a week later Starfield releases, Xbox would absolutely dominate the news cycle, that'd be hype, here's our showcase and now go and enjoy our massive exclusive at the end of all of this good news.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 11 January 2023

Lol. Do the E3 idea. Maybe.

• Xbox E3 - Week of Xbox News.
  • At the end of it: "Here's Starfield"

We'll see. June is still cutting it very very close to a delay.

We have the decision from Chile:

Short version (5 pages)

Long version (38 pages)

Both in Spanish.

I just skipped the long version and it looks very interesting and with new info. A few selected paragraphs:

The information gathered in the investigation makes it possible to affirm that the income generated by the Sony console from ABK are relevant, and that said relevance would discourage a blocking strategy by the parties. As a first background we can consider that Playstation is the console that generates the highest income for ABK, doubling in 2021 the income generated in its favor by Xbox consoles. The results are similar when looking at revenue for the Call of Duty franchise.

The importance of Sony is even more evident when the most successful Call of Duty title in the year 2020, Modern Warfare, is analyzed. For this title, Playstation represented 50-60% of revenue. The rest of the revenue is divided between PC with 20-30% and Xbox with 10-20%. This demonstrates the importance of the Sony console in ABK's products and how relevant would be for the company the loss of income by blocking from PlayStation the games developed by ABK.

The incentives to deploy an ABK game blocking strategy are also affected by the significant investments made during the course of the game's development, in adjustments aimed at meeting the technical specifications of the consoles. Due to the above, for this regulator it is evident that a possible blockade of Playstation would imply the loss of all the investments made years in advance to adapt the next releases of titles on Playstation.

[…]

But even such a partial lockdown scenario might be unlikely, if a low number of players are willing to migrate from PlayStation to Xbox as a result of the lockdown. In this sense, the results of the Survey – implemented by this Division to Chilean video game consumers – shed light on the willingness of players to change their device, given the supposed unavailability of Call of Duty on Sony consoles. The data from the Survey shows that 61% of console players, faced with a scenario of unavailability of Call of Duty, would opt for a different video game, and only 20% would opt to switch to another device.

[…]

In light of the foregoing, this Division considers that deploying a potential strategy of partial or total blocking of PlayStation would imply, in a certain way, contravening the trend towards which the market is projected, and would generate deviations towards competing video games that they do include this modality (crossplay). The importance of crossplay for Call of Duty players is confirmed, for local consumers, in the results of the Survey, which indicates that 72% of Call of Duty players on consoles consider this modality as a relevant factor for choosing your primary device.

[…]

If we analyze the conduct that the merged entity could display with respect to Sony, we have, first of all, that Call of Duty is not the franchise that generates the highest income for it. Illustrative of this is that, by 2021, Call of Duty represented [0%-10%] of the total revenue received by Sony, behind FIFA and Fortnite. Therefore, the removal of Call of Duty from the portfolio of titles available on its platform, while it could have some impact on the company's revenue, would not deprive Sony of its main source of income.

[…]

The damage at the profit level for console providers, such as Sony, is even more limited if one considers that, at least in the Chilean market, the vast majority of Call of Duty players, faced with indefinite unavailability of said franchise, would not change platforms and would only choose to play another video game.

Similarly, when asked: "Based on your experience as a video game player, rate the following contents from essential to highly dispensable", 65% considered the title Grand Theft Auto essential or not dispensable, and 62 % expressed such opinion regarding Call of Duty. It should be noted that these results are even more telling, considering that the respondent base was made up of Call of Duty players and not necessarily Grand Theft Auto players. Thus, the importance of Gran Theft Auto could be underestimated in view of those who make up the Survey sample.

Source: Idas

Around the Network

Corrupt ass Chile backing their findings up with facts, research and stuff, Smfh.

TLDR: Keeping CoD off PlayStation would hurt Xbox more than it hurts PlayStation.

Ryuu96 said:

Counterpoint to Starfield's delay argument (yeah I'm countering myself) is that if Starfield was delayed would there really be any point in doing a deep dive instead of just waiting until E3 and then doing the deep dive after E3. Maybe if they keep to the "next few months" timing and Starfield's deep dive is Feb-March it may release in June.

Technically Redfall is outside of "next few months" but by a week at most, Lol. Would like if these Directs are all focused on the "next few months" and now I pray that they put a bullet in the ID@Xbox/Twitch thing and instead do a ID@Xbox Developer_Direct with how many dang indies are coming to Game Pass.

I don't think it's delayed. They recently had the opportunity to tell us it's delayed when they posted that new site, and yet they instead said that it was still coming in the first half of the year. I also agree with you that it wouldn't make sense to do a probably 25-30 minute long gameplay deep dive with Todd Howard if the game is delayed to Q3 or Q4, they could just have that as an E3 stream after a new trailer for the game on the E3 showcase. 

It should be noted that Microsoft offers cloud gaming services through its Game Pass Ultimate subscription platform. For this reason, from now on it will be understood that cloud gaming is part of the subscription services and they will be analyzed together. Hereafter and unless otherwise indicated, references to subscription services include cloud gaming.

Chile doesn't consider xCloud to be part of its own unique market as it is inherently attached to Game Pass.

Ubisoft is completely collapsing.

trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:

Looks like it's 45 minutes long.

That would give about 10-12 minutes per game. 

That assumes there is only 4 games. They said they will have games from studios including Zenimax Online, Turn 10, Mojang, and Arkane. Saying that it includes those 4 studios means there will be more than just those 4 studios showing off games. Those are the main 4 who will have the most time dedicated to their showings of Redfall, ESO's 7th expansion, Forza Motorsport, and Minecraft Legends, but not all 45 minutes will be split between those 4 games.  

Some things that could be be there in addition to the 4 main showcase studios imo:

• FH5 2nd expansion from Playground, combined alongside the Forza Motorsport showcase
  • HiFi Rush reveal
  • Project Belfry Reveal
  • Goldeneye Remaster trailer and release date
  • January 2nd Gamepass update
  • A short Starfield sting giving the date of the dedicated Starfield showcase, and maybe even the release date for Starfield