By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:

Where I'm at on the whole AC Shadows controversy personally:

• I am typically on the anti-woke side of the line that has been drawn in the sand within the gaming and broader entertainment culture war. I'm tired of seeing remasters and remasters and reboots all censored compared to the games of the past, I'm tired of devs forcing unrealistic amounts of diversity into games, overcorrecting an issue, I'm tired of devs placing more focus on woke issues within their games rather than things like good gameplay and a good storyline.
  • I have been waiting for a AAA Feudal Japan game, and AC Japan specifically, for a very long time, I'm among those who have been hoping to see a Japan AC ever since the first tease of one way back in AC1
  • AC has never been a series that claimed to be historically accurate, right from the very first AC game Ubisoft opened the series with a disclaimer that read "Inspired by historical events and characters, this work of fiction was developed by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs". The series has always taken a pretty loose approach with the lives of real life historical figures.
  • Therefore, Yasuke's inclusion doesn't really bother me so much, he was a real historical figure, and if they want to portray him as a full samurai in armor rather than the retainer he actually was, I personally don't see how that is any different than portraying Pope Alexander VI as a man with a magical staff.
  • I take issue more with some of their other design choices, the hip-hop infused soundtrack for Yasuke's combat seems badly out of place, the poor research they did into architecture, clothing, and the manners and customs of the time period are out of character for Ubisoft who usually did well in those areas for other AC games.
  • Ultimately I love the AC series and I've been waiting for AC Japan for so long that I am going to play this game, it's simply a matter of if I play it at launch, or wait for some PC mod fixes and improvements.

We disagree on a lot when it comes to these issues but thanks for being actually sensible in this scenario.

It's fucking Assassin's Creed for fuck sake, it hasn't been historically accurate since AC2 and it delved into Sci-Fi nonsense starting with AC2 as well and full-blown whacko mythology starting with AC Origins. Even AC1 got historical dates completely wrong. For the love of fuck I can't with people being mad about this, Lmfao.

Every single Assassin's Creed has featured a completely made up protagonist who have large impacts on history, for fuck sake Edward Kenway would have been written down in history books alongside Blackbeard and the like but he's completely made up in AC. People demand not to race swap characters, not to shove characters in "where it doesn't make sense" AC decides to feature for once a real fucking person who has been written about multiple fucking times including by many Japanese developers, manga artists and anime writers and people still lose their shit.

Nobody would be bitching if this was fucking John Blackthorne.

Some historians have said he was a samurai, some have said he wasn't a samurai, direct descendants of his Nobunaga say he was. Seems to me like nobody fucking knows for sure so I think we can stop losing our shit at Assassin's Creed taking some liberties can't we? You want to whine about him not being a samurai then moan about all the other historical accuracies and made up bullshit that AC has, including every single character starting with AC1.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 2 hours ago

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

It's fucking Assassin's Creed for fuck sake, it hasn't been historically accurate since AC2 and it delved into Sci-Fi nonsense starting with AC2 as well and full-blown whacko mythology starting with AC Origins.

Starting with AC2? The Apple of Eden appeared in the first game, its been Sci-Fi since day 1 lol

Spoiler!

(Not complaining about it, I actually love the lore lol)

Speaking of AC - the last game I played was ACIV Black Flag and its expansion Freedom Cry (which I finished few months ago) - gonna start playing Rogue on Steam.

But I'm also gonna start another "marathon" (and I say that in a specific way, not back to back but will take years lol) on Xbox since I have all of the AC games up to Valhalla on Xbox. Gonna start on AC1 - will be different since I played AC 1 on PC on low spec settings cause of my PC back then in 2011.

BasilZero said:
Ryuu96 said:

It's fucking Assassin's Creed for fuck sake, it hasn't been historically accurate since AC2 and it delved into Sci-Fi nonsense starting with AC2 as well and full-blown whacko mythology starting with AC Origins.

Starting with AC2? The Apple of Eden appeared in the first game, its been Sci-Fi since day 1 lol

Spoiler!
(Not complaining about it, I actually love the lore lol)

Ah, I honestly forget a lot of AC1, Lol.

But I was more talking about the Isu who I think were introduced in AC2? Not really sure if they first featured in AC1 or AC2. Apple of Eden is deffo sci-fi nonsense though, but the ISU go a step further, Lol.

Tbh I didn't mind AC's Sci-FI nonsense until AC3 fucked it all and since then it has felt like they don't know where to take it or rather, they can't take it anywhere because it would mean the end of the story, Lol. So they have to keep pushing it in tiny stages.

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Where I'm at on the whole AC Shadows controversy personally:

• I am typically on the anti-woke side of the line that has been drawn in the sand within the gaming and broader entertainment culture war. I'm tired of seeing remasters and remasters and reboots all censored compared to the games of the past, I'm tired of devs forcing unrealistic amounts of diversity into games, overcorrecting an issue, I'm tired of devs placing more focus on woke issues within their games rather than things like good gameplay and a good storyline.
  • I have been waiting for a AAA Feudal Japan game, and AC Japan specifically, for a very long time, I'm among those who have been hoping to see a Japan AC ever since the first tease of one way back in AC1
  • AC has never been a series that claimed to be historically accurate, right from the very first AC game Ubisoft opened the series with a disclaimer that read "Inspired by historical events and characters, this work of fiction was developed by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs". The series has always taken a pretty loose approach with the lives of real life historical figures.
  • Therefore, Yasuke's inclusion doesn't really bother me so much, he was a real historical figure, and if they want to portray him as a full samurai in armor rather than the retainer he actually was, I personally don't see how that is any different than portraying Pope Alexander VI as a man with a magical staff.
  • I take issue more with some of their other design choices, the hip-hop infused soundtrack for Yasuke's combat seems badly out of place, the poor research they did into architecture, clothing, and the manners and customs of the time period are out of character for Ubisoft who usually did well in those areas for other AC games.
  • Ultimately I love the AC series and I've been waiting for AC Japan for so long that I am going to play this game, it's simply a matter of if I play it at launch, or wait for some PC mod fixes and improvements.

We disagree on a lot when it comes to these issues but thanks for being actually sensible in this scenario.

It's fucking Assassin's Creed for fuck sake, it hasn't been historically accurate since AC2 and it delved into Sci-Fi nonsense starting with AC2 as well and full-blown whacko mythology starting with AC Origins. Even AC1 got historical dates completely wrong. For the love of fuck I can't with people being mad about this, Lmfao.

Every single Assassin's Creed has featured a completely made up protagonist who have large impacts on history, for fuck sake Edward Kenway would have been written down in history books alongside Blackbeard and the like but he's completely made up in AC. People demand not to race swap characters, not to shove characters in "where it doesn't make sense" AC decides to feature for once a real fucking person who has been written about multiple fucking times including by many Japanese developers, manga artists and anime writers and people still lose their shit.

Nobody would be bitching if this was fucking John Blackthorne.

Some historians have said he was a samurai, some have said he wasn't a samurai, direct descendants of his Nobunaga say he was. Seems to me like nobody fucking knows for sure so I think we can stop losing our shit at Assassin's Creed taking some liberties can't we? You want to whine about him not being a samurai then moan about all the other historical accuracies and made up bullshit that AC has, including every single character starting with AC1.

Did you even watch Shogun? The whole purpose of John Blackthorne's character was literally just to give a foreigner's perspective of the events, while at the same time make a point that his presence had no significance on any of the outcomes.

The whole reason Shogun is praised is because it proved how good modern media could be if it's actually made by people who respect the material, setting and their audience. Yet here you are on another belligerent tangent defending this lazy slop that does nothing but insult your intelligence. Maybe that's fine with you but other people demand better. Not sure where you get off criticising them in such a childish manner, when all the evidence that's come out has definitely proven Ubisoft to be the incompotent lying morons they are.

Womp Womp. I'm mad that there's a black guy based on a real life black guy in my videogame which is full with made up historical nonsense and mythological beasts and near God-like humans because said black guy may or may not have been a samurai. If you take issue with my post too bad, don't bother responding to me, I'm done with trying to argue with you permanent rage-mode users in good faith, sick to death of your nonstop fucking whining.

Around the Network

STILL WAITING

The only historically documented accounts of Yasuke (there aren't many, because he wasn't important) basically describe him as a sideshow that Oda Nobunaga would drag around as a glorified zoo animal. That's a great image to promote to modern audiences. Sounds like a great leading man. All he needs is a bit of the modern agenda whitewashing so that nothing about his character actually resembles those documented accounts, other than, you know, his skin colour (but that's the only part they wanted anyway). Just don't think too hard about it and it'll make sense.

If you ignore the other historians saying otherwise, which I've already posted in here.

Afro Samurai was inspired by Yasuke, he is featured in Nioh 2, Samurai Warriors 5, Guilty Gear Strive, etc.

But fucking God forbid Ubisoft with its dozens of made up characters depicts him as a samurai.

Ryuu96 said:

Ah, I honestly forget a lot of AC1, Lol.

But I was more talking about the Isu who I think were introduced in AC2? Not really sure if they first featured in AC1 or AC2. Apple of Eden is deffo sci-fi nonsense though, but the ISU go a step further, Lol.

Tbh I didn't mind AC's Sci-FI nonsense until AC3 fucked it all and since then it has felt like they don't know where to take it or rather, they can't take it anywhere because it would mean the end of the story, Lol. So they have to keep pushing it in tiny stages.

They were mentioned in the first game but not by name. Not sure if they were planning to make them appear exactly next game or it was just something that they expected people to forget.

AC3 really was a chore - not just the story, but the missions and overall gameplay.

Black Flag was amazing - I beat it earlier in the year.