By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Hiku said:

So whatever the reason, it seems MS discussed and planned this announcement with Sony.

Ryuu posted this earlier in the thread and it makes more sense with it being a licensed IP and the FTC still on MS's back, so probably wanting to take every precaution in the book.

Idas Said:

Maybe announcing the PS5 Indy port so soon is just a legal precaution.

The most recent annual report from MS said this about risks related to acquisitions: "In addition, an acquisition may be subject to challenge even after it has been completed. For example, the Federal Trade Commission continues to challenge our Activision Blizzard acquisition and could, if successful, alter or unwind the transaction. These events could adversely affect our business, operations, financial condition, and results of operations."

One of the main arguments from the FTC was exclusivity and the Indiana Jones game going from multi platform (originally) to exclusive due to a new agreement with Disney (renegotiated by MS post Bethesda acquisition) was one of the best pieces of evidence that they got.

The FTC altering or even unwinding the ABK acquisition is unlikely but in theory is still possible.

We are in August 2024 and this is still going on (we are waiting for the decision from the 9th Circuit). So, maybe announcing that Indiana Jones is not exclusive, even before the release of the Xbox version, is just a legal precaution in case the 9th Circuit rules in favour of the FTC and then the administrative process goes ahead.

This way that piece of evidence wouldn't be valuable anymore and MS could say: "The game is multi platform again, there is a small gap of 3-4 months between versions but just for technical reasons. We don't even care about temporal exclusivity because PS5 players already know that the game is coming and when".

After all, we lawyers love to anticipate any potential risk, no matter how small it may seem. I think that the risk is minor but if it becomes a reality (altering or even unwinding ABK) would have huge consequences.

Therefore, better be safe than sorry.

Around the Network

Xbox made the Wii Nunchuck! Or.... the Dreamcast prototype controller!

:P

Nah for real one thing I can't fault MS on is their controllers.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

G2ThaUNiT said:
Hiku said:

So whatever the reason, it seems MS discussed and planned this announcement with Sony.

Ryuu posted this earlier in the thread and it makes more sense with it being a licensed IP and the FTC still on MS's back, so probably wanting to take every precaution in the book.

Idas Said:

Maybe announcing the PS5 Indy port so soon is just a legal precaution.

The most recent annual report from MS said this about risks related to acquisitions: "In addition, an acquisition may be subject to challenge even after it has been completed. For example, the Federal Trade Commission continues to challenge our Activision Blizzard acquisition and could, if successful, alter or unwind the transaction. These events could adversely affect our business, operations, financial condition, and results of operations."

One of the main arguments from the FTC was exclusivity and the Indiana Jones game going from multi platform (originally) to exclusive due to a new agreement with Disney (renegotiated by MS post Bethesda acquisition) was one of the best pieces of evidence that they got.

The FTC altering or even unwinding the ABK acquisition is unlikely but in theory is still possible.

We are in August 2024 and this is still going on (we are waiting for the decision from the 9th Circuit). So, maybe announcing that Indiana Jones is not exclusive, even before the release of the Xbox version, is just a legal precaution in case the 9th Circuit rules in favour of the FTC and then the administrative process goes ahead.

This way that piece of evidence wouldn't be valuable anymore and MS could say: "The game is multi platform again, there is a small gap of 3-4 months between versions but just for technical reasons. We don't even care about temporal exclusivity because PS5 players already know that the game is coming and when".

After all, we lawyers love to anticipate any potential risk, no matter how small it may seem. I think that the risk is minor but if it becomes a reality (altering or even unwinding ABK) would have huge consequences.

Therefore, better be safe than sorry.

Oh my bad. I did go back a bit to see if someone posted it but didn't see it.

I did however see and read the speculation about it being a legal precaution that you reposted for me, but thank you.
That may have been the reason.
I just found it interesting that the wishlisting was timed along with the announcement since that indicates this wasn't a recent change in plans, but that they've likely been in discussions with Sony about it for a while.

COD got an 91 GB update ugh

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Avowed looks better each time it's shown and I already thought it looked great, looking forward to what another 6 months of polishing can achieve.

Yeah, my biggest gripes with Avowed graphics back in it's reveal gameplay trailer, and even in the more recent gameplay trailers, were the textures and the lightning. However, the latest batch of screenshots they released seem to show noticeably higher resolution textures and the new ray traced lighting support.

While the Xbox version likely won't have the highest setting textures from the new screens, and will probably only have the ray-traced lightning on a 30 fps mode if at all, they have also now added in less intensive software accelerated UE5 Lumen lighting from what I heard, which should offer a big improvement over the lighting in the earlier gameplay trailers even on a 60 fps mode on Series X.

konnichiwa said:

COD got an 91 GB update ugh

Lol, I think this is the resizing update so they make you redownload all the assets.

I find it interesting how some time ago Phil once again lied to his own (Xbox) fans and now confirmed at Gamescom that more Xbox games will be released on Playstation 5. The picture fits xD

~Thread Banned after a repeated history of trolling.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 21 August 2024

Ryuu96 said:

Gonna look great on the PS5.