By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Leynos said:

Xbox took inspiration from the Dreamcast controller. Hence the colored buttons. ABXY layout and the two ports in the controller.  They nearly had VMUs as MS used Dreamcast in focus groups developing Xbox. Abandoned the idea when no one looked down.

I’m curious what would’ve happened if they had taken up Sega’s offer of making the Xbox completely BC with the Dreamcast. I certainly can’t imagine the original Xbox without the massive support Sega provided, but I can’t help but wonder how Xbox’s fortunes would’ve turned, especially in Japan, if Sega would’ve been able to tell all Sega fans and Dreamcast owners that they would be able to carry everything over to Xbox. 

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:
Leynos said:

Xbox took inspiration from the Dreamcast controller. Hence the colored buttons. ABXY layout and the two ports in the controller.  They nearly had VMUs as MS used Dreamcast in focus groups developing Xbox. Abandoned the idea when no one looked down.

I’m curious what would’ve happened if they had taken up Sega’s offer of making the Xbox completely BC with the Dreamcast. I certainly can’t imagine the original Xbox without the massive support Sega provided, but I can’t help but wonder how Xbox’s fortunes would’ve turned, especially in Japan, if Sega would’ve been able to tell all Sega fans and Dreamcast owners that they would be able to carry everything over to Xbox. 

I still wish this happened. I don't know if it would have greatly improved in Japan. Saturn was the only real success SEGA had in Japan. Mega Drive didn't do well over there. Xbox name and size also played factors. But could not hurt. It would feel like Dreamcast getting new games with BC in a way. Xbox needed a lot more big RPGs.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

konnichiwa said:
coolbeans said:

Nice.  I heard it feels like a non-official sequel to Battle for Bikini Bottom in terms of platforming, moveset, and so on.

Yeah it is better in every part, visuals, gameplay and so on.

Is it me or do achievements pop up sometimes not pop up on screen?  I get the achievements but not the notification , It seems random when they pop up now.

Good to see.

I haven't popped an achievement for a day or two, but notifications have been normal for me in the past few weeks.

This seems odd to me. Cyberpunk 2 entered development in 2023, 1.5-2 years after Witcher 4. You would think that Cyberpunk 2 would have the more advanced technology since it will probably release 2 years or more after Witcher 4. 

Edit: Ok, Culture Crave didn't put the proper information into the tweet. What CD Projekt actually said is that Witcher 4 development is in the most advanced state out of all 4 of their in-development projects, meaning that Witcher 4's development team has made more development progress than the teams working on Witcher 1 Remake, the Witcher spinoff, and Cyberpunk 2.

That is also a bit odd though, one would have expected Witcher 1 Remake to be the furthest along, seeing as their is usually less development workload on a remake than on a brand new game. Maybe they are really going all out of the remake instead of merely improving the graphics and combat, maybe they are expanding the game with new side quests, combining some of the smaller maps and adding new areas to the maps to make them open world, rerecording the dialogue, sound effects, and soundtrack instead of merely digitally remastering the original audio, etc. Looks like maybe Witcher 4 could release before Witcher 1 remake.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 16 July 2024

shikamaru317 said:

This seems odd to me. Cyberpunk 2 entered development in 2023, 1.5-2 years after Witcher 4. You would think that Cyberpunk 2 would have the more advanced technology since it will probably release 2 years or more after Witcher 4. 

Perhaps it comes down to budget.  While Cyberpunk skyrocketed in popularity before & after Phantom Liberty, I wouldn't be surprised if that team wasn't honored with as big of an allowance than 'ole reliable Witcher 4.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
shikamaru317 said:

Perhaps it comes down to budget.  While Cyberpunk skyrocketed in popularity before & after Phantom Liberty, I wouldn't be surprised if that team wasn't honored with as big of an allowance than 'ole reliable Witcher 4.

Looked into it, Culture Crave didn't put the proper information into the tweet. What CD Projekt actually said is that Witcher 4 development is in the most advanced state out of all 4 of their in-development projects, meaning that Witcher 4's development team has made more development progress than the teams working on Witcher 1 Remake, the Witcher spinoff, and Cyberpunk 2.

That is also a bit odd though, one would have expected Witcher 1 Remake to be the furthest along, seeing as there is usually less development workload on a remake than on a brand new game. Maybe they are really going all out of the remake instead of merely improving the graphics and combat, maybe they are expanding the game with new side quests, combining the smaller maps and adding new areas to the maps to make them open world, rerecording the dialogue/sound effects/soundtrack instead of merely digitally remastering the original audio, etc. Looks like maybe Witcher 4 could release before Witcher 1 remake at this rate.

shikamaru317 said:
coolbeans said:

Looked into it, Culture Crave didn't put the proper information into the tweet. What CD Projekt actually said is that Witcher 4 development is in the most advanced state out of all 4 of their in-development projects, meaning that Witcher 4's development team has made more development progress than the teams working on Witcher 1 Remake, the Witcher spinoff, and Cyberpunk 2.

That is also a bit odd though, one would have expected Witcher 1 Remake to be the furthest along, seeing as there is usually less development workload on a remake than on a brand new game. Maybe they are really going all out of the remake instead of merely improving the graphics and combat, maybe they are expanding the game with new side quests, making the maps larger and open world, rerecording the dialogue/sound effects/soundtrack instead of merely digitally remastering the original audio, etc. Looks like maybe Witcher 4 could release before Witcher 1 remake at this rate.

Ohhh... that makes sense.

Yeah.  Well, similar to what I said regarding Cyberpunk, perhaps Witcher 1's total allowance and amount of workers put towards it is quite slim compared to the behemoth of Witcher 4's development team.

I reckon we'll probably see a release schedule like this for CD Prokekt's upcoming games, based on how long each has been in development for, the size of the dev teams, the expected size of each project, and the above information that the Witcher 4 team has made the most progress:

2026- Witcher 4 (5 years after it began development in late 2021 I believe)
2027- Witcher 1 remake (5 years after it began development in late 2022)
2028- Witcher spinoff from Molasses Flood (5 years after development on the game was rebooted in March 2023)
2029- Cyberpunk 2 (6 years after it began development in late 2023)
2030- Witcher 5 (CD Projekt previously said that they hoped to release Witcher 5 and 6 with 3 years of development each, by using Witcher 4 tech and assets as base to shorten development time, but even reusing Witcher 4 tech and assets for 5 and 6, 3 years of development feels overly optimistic for modern AAA development, so I went with 4 years)

I think that is their plan, yearly releases, at least for awhile. It is why they have expanded so much and now have 6 different studio locations (3 in Poland, 1 in Vancouver, 2 in Boston) and over 1200 employees, as well as partnering with Fool's Theory for Witcher 1 remake (and probably eventually Witcher 2 remake as well, if 1 remake sells well).

Not sure I take much credit in this just yet...

But apparently 343i will be going into "supervisor mode" after Microsoft cut it's employees from 500~ to around 280~
https://www.levelup.com/en/news/796072/Halo-343i-would-not-make-future-games-in-the-saga-2-projects-would-be-on-the-way

So mostly just doing pre-production work and concepts and stuff it seems.

In saying that... Might be the best thing for the franchise which just hasn't managed to hit the same high as Halo 1, 2, 3 and Reach.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Not sure I take much credit in this just yet...

But apparently 343i will be going into "supervisor mode" after Microsoft cut it's employees from 500~ to around 280~
https://www.levelup.com/en/news/796072/Halo-343i-would-not-make-future-games-in-the-saga-2-projects-would-be-on-the-way

So mostly just doing pre-production work and concepts and stuff it seems.

In saying that... Might be the best thing for the franchise which just hasn't managed to hit the same high as Halo 1, 2, 3 and Reach.

The source was a random twitter user and pretty much all Xbox and Halo leakers/news media were quick to shoot it down.