By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

One thing that set MS apart from Sony too was their focus on variety, AAA-AA-A, Game Pass allowed creativity and fun smaller projects, niche projects, etc. While Sony was pushing into focusing solely on AAA cinematic blockbusters and gutting everything else.

Phil said Xbox can't just be PlayStation but green but that's exactly what they're doing with this move.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

One thing that set MS apart from Sony too was their focus on variety, AAA-AA-A, Game Pass allowed creativity and fun smaller projects, niche projects, etc. While Sony was pushing into focusing solely on AAA cinematic blockbusters and gutting everything else.

Phil said Xbox can't just be PlayStation but green but that's exactly what they're doing with this move.

Don't know if Phil himself has changed course, or if he is being overrode by the bean counters like CFO Amy Hood. Either way, seems like the focus is going to be on the highest selling IP moving forward, meaning CoD, Halo, Forza, Gears, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Doom mainly. Some mid-tier projects may be safe, but bottom tier passion projects like HiFi and Grounded and Pentiment are clearly dead at Xbox, I just can't see Xbox taking a chance on passion/pet projects with lower sales potential, not with the Gamepass safety blanket no longer in place.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 07 May 2024

Apparently Sarah deleted this tweet today, lol

Hopefully he gets snatched up fast.

Unfortunately anyone who isn't a known name will basically be desperately clinging onto their job if they haven't already been laid off.

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Don't know if Phil himself has changed course, or if he is being overrode by the bean counters like CFO Amy Hood. Either way, seems like the focus is going to be on the highest selling IP moving forward, meaning CoD, Halo, Forza, Gears, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Doom mainly. Some mid-tier projects may be safe, but bottom tier passion projects like HiFi and Grounded and Pentiment are clearly dead at Xbox.

This is all Phil.  Phil report directly to the CEO so anything happening withing gaming at MS is pretty much his decision and Satya.  Not sure why everyone suddenly figured out MS is and has always been a US corporation.  Its like this news is a shock to you all but in reality its pretty much goes along with MS MO.  Business that are not holding their own get shuttered.  The thing I am looking to see if all the dev roles are released or did they just move them into Bethesda while they release the non dev roles which are not needed.  Either way, not enough information for me to fully understand the direction and scope where why this move was needed but then again, those dismal hardware sales could be a reason to restructure the ship.

Around the Network

The industry as a whole is undergoing some struggles. The growth has stopped.

Exclusivity is being rethought.
Sony is increasingly putting their games on PC. MS has put a number of games on PS and Switch.

The AAA space is being rethought.
Making increasingly expensive games seems to be reaching it's limit. Games can't afford to be GTA VI.
Studios are being closed. Studios are cutting staff. Not every game can afford to have a $200 million budget, let alone $300 million or whatever the future might have looked like if trends continued.

Personally I firmly believe that a lot of these issues are self inflicted. Can't expect growth to continue forever. And I believe that a lot of this expense growth was poorly spent.

Honestly fuck Rockstar for not launching GTA on PC day one, Lol.

It is one of the biggest roadblocks to me moving to PC, a whole year to wait for fucking GTA 6 while everyone else plays it...

shikamaru317 said:

Apparently Sarah deleted this tweet today, lol

Why even make a tweet like this when you know the incoming announcements???? Surely Sarah is 100% aware of all plans. I mean, she is head of Xbox when it comes to both hardware and software.

Oh man, John Johanas at Nintendo would be amazing, they'd actually appreciate his talents.

Ryuu96 said:

Honestly fuck Rockstar for not launching GTA on PC day one, Lol.

It is one of the biggest roadblocks to me moving to PC, a whole year to wait for fucking GTA 6 while everyone else plays it...

Just keep your Series X like I did. That way you can move to PC now and just play GTA on Series X at launch, you can always buy a PC copy later on in a sale or something.