By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Enders Analysis estimates global gaming revenue rose by less than 1 per cent last year to $184bn, a slower rate than inflation. Enders' researchers said in a recent report that 2024 was set to be a "bumpy and uncomfortable year across the industry" as "revenue growth is likely to be flat for the next 12-24 months".

Financial Times

Around the Network

If MS was smart, they should be able to make profit regardless of what their GP subs.

A quick internet check got me to a site that claims the average gamer buys 10 games over a console's lifetime. Let's go with $50 a game (some buy at 70 yes but many will buy discounted). That's $500 over 6 years, or $83 a year. Xbox % cut would be 30%, so $25 a year and $2 a month.

GP players from that 34 mil number are spending $11-17 a month right now (Phil said that 34 mil was full paid customers, not discounted ones). That's $132-$187 a year from these gamers, which is a lot higher than the $83 they'd typically get from purchases for the typical gamer. From what I've read, it sounds like third part payouts + other expenses amount to around $3 billion annually, and they are pulling in probably $5.3 billion or more, so that's 44% leftover for MS after third party companies get their share.

So for third party games, they should be getting more of the pie on GP than they did with game sales and the pie itself is bigger monthly and annually than the pie for game sales in the first place.

Dulfite said:

If MS was smart, they should be able to make profit regardless of what their GP subs.

A quick internet check got me to a site that claims the average gamer buys 10 games over a console's lifetime. Let's go with $50 a game (some buy at 70 yes but many will buy discounted). That's $500 over 6 years, or $83 a year. Xbox % cut would be 30%, so $25 a year and $2 a month.

GP players from that 34 mil number are spending $11-17 a month right now (Phil said that 34 mil was full paid customers, not discounted ones). That's $132-$187 a year from these gamers, which is a lot higher than the $83 they'd typically get from purchases for the typical gamer. From what I've read, it sounds like third part payouts + other expenses amount to around $3 billion annually, and they are pulling in probably $5.3 billion or more, so that's 44% leftover for MS after third party companies get their share.

So for third party games, they should be getting more of the pie on GP than they did with game sales and the pie itself is bigger monthly and annually than the pie for game sales in the first place.

Paid customers, just means, they didn't count, ones that created a sub from a free month or two, from a coke bottle, bag of chips ect (free trials).
Back from those Xbox leaks during the trail (Activsion-blizzard), we found out the avg was like $9.26 pr sub. I have no idea how much they spend on paying 3rd party.... or how big a loss in potential sales it is for their own 1st party games (vs traditional game sales).
(you have to factor lost game sales into the equation as well, because dev costs of makeing games, isnt free).

If the pie is bigger, I dont think MS is thinking, 3rd should get more for it.
This is their xbox vision, they want their gameing devision to make good profits (what company doesn't).

Supposedly Sony only had like a 6% profit margin, last time they release data.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 16 February 2024

Around the Network

Hmm some issues with the remaster, same place but if you click start you can choose between old or remastered version (like Halo MCC)..

I passed the key the first time because you can hardly see it

At Team Xbox, we are on a mission to bring joy and the community of gaming to everyone on the planet. We deliver on that vision by putting players at the center, enabling you to play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere you want.     

The Microsoft Game Content and Studios organization empowers the world-class studios across Bethesda, ZeniMax, and Casual to do their best work creating incredible worlds their players love. This group of studios includes Alpha Dog, Arkane Austin, Arkane Lyon, Bethesda Game Studios, Microsoft Casual Games, id Software, Machine Games, Roundhouse Studios, Tango Gameworks, and ZeniMax Online Studios.   

The Chief of Staff - Bethesda/ZeniMax will be a member of the Bethesda, ZeniMax, and Casual Games Studios Leadership team directly supporting the Head of Bethesda, ZeniMax, and Casual Games Studios. This individual is responsible for organization-wide effectiveness including strategic planning and management, organizational priorities, rhythm of business, internal/external communications, meetings and events, budgets, and strategic programs and initiatives to ensure leadership and organization alignment. This individual will be a trusted partner to the Head of Bethesda, ZeniMax, and Casual Games Studios, their leadership team, and key stakeholders across Microsoft Gaming and ZeniMax.   

Chief of Staff Bethesda/Zenimax | Microsoft Careers

Interesting that Casual Games Studios has been placed under Zenimax?

Did I missed something, I see most place mention that the 4 games or going to Switch/PS5. But was it mentioned this way? I only saw that the 4 games are going multiplatform with no specifics.
While it is most likely to be the case I could also see some being ported solely to the switch a la Ori and it will still be logical, eg. HI-Fi rush, while other could be likewise ported solely to PS5 Sea of Thieves.

Just want to know I missed something and it was announced that those 4 titles would hit every platforms or if it just assumptions at this point?