By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Even if they decide to address this today I will expect nothing more than a PR Slop of a statement without going into Important details.

Around the Network

"It's a bit of a change of strategy. Not announcing anything broadly here, but our mission is to bring our first-party experiences [and] our subscription services to every screen that can play games. That means smart TVs, that means mobile devices, that means what we would have thought of as competitors in the past like PlayStation and Nintendo." - Tim Stuart, Nov 2023

"Just as we think of ROG Ally and Steam Deck as part of the Xbox community, we need to think of the many Nintendo Switch and PlayStation users as part of the Xbox community in the future." - Phil Spencer, Nov 2023

This change has been coming for a while and there were definitely efforts to prepare people for it. "When everybody plays, we all win." I hope when they do address it they are as clear as possible with what to expect in the future. I wonder if they will take the opportunity at the same time to confirm and assure people that future Xbox hardware is coming.

I think future Xbox hardware will be akin to a ROG ally or Steam Deck, IE a quasi-PC, semi open piece of hardware that exists to bring a console like experience to those that want to play PC games. It will no longer be a “platform” as such, but rather one hardware option in a sea of many.

It’s kind of sad, and a little worrying that there will be only 2 true game consoles left on the market going forward. I don’t expect Nintendo to change very much (what they have is working just fine) but I do expect the PS6 along with PS6 games to be priced catastrophically high

aTokenYeti said:

I think future Xbox hardware will be akin to a ROG ally or Steam Deck, IE a quasi-PC, semi open piece of hardware that exists to bring a console like experience to those that want to play PC games. It will no longer be a “platform” as such, but rather one hardware option in a sea of many.

It’s kind of sad, and a little worrying that there will be only 2 true game consoles left on the market going forward. I don’t expect Nintendo to change very much (what they have is working just fine) but I do expect the PS6 along with PS6 games to be priced catastrophically high

Why would they make hardware when they can't benefit at all selling software for it. The Steam Deck makes sense since Valve is going to be the preferred store for the buyers. The ROG Ally makes sense since ASUS is a hardware manufacturer that has its own facilities. It makes absolutely zero sense for Microsoft.

Esparadrapo said:
aTokenYeti said:

I think future Xbox hardware will be akin to a ROG ally or Steam Deck, IE a quasi-PC, semi open piece of hardware that exists to bring a console like experience to those that want to play PC games. It will no longer be a “platformâ€Â as such, but rather one hardware option in a sea of many.

Why would they make hardware when they can't benefit at all selling software for it. The Steam Deck makes sense since Valve is going to be the preferred store for the buyers. The ROG Ally makes sense since ASUS is a hardware manufacturer that has its own facilities. It makes absolutely zero sense for Microsoft.

It’s a foot in the door for windows store and game pass. It’s the exact same reason Valve is making the steam deck. You can install windows on a steam deck and buy from other storefronts, but they know most users won’t do that. 

similarly, most people buying a nextbox will just buy the games on the windows store or sub to gamepass. 

Around the Network

Are you guys expecting a statement from Xbox/Microsoft? Or will they remain silent today?

It’s a good life lesson in all honesty, nothing is permanent and everything has an expiration date. That feeling I had about video gaming from 2000-2012 is never coming back and part of growing up is accepting and coming to terms with it.

This whole saga has also helped me realize I wasn’t a fan of Xbox so much as Xbox reminded me of a deeply nostalgic part of my life

PixelPirate said:

Are you guys expecting a statement from Xbox/Microsoft? Or will they remain silent today?

People were saying that a statement was coming today, even before the articles about Starfield/Indiana Jones came out. But even if that weren't true MS have to respond now. I expect their statement will come anytime in the next 8 hours.

Call of Duty will have an open-world campaign this year.

"Currently, the game’s open world will see the player and their squad navigate the map more akin to that of Far Cry than anything we’ve seen before in the Call of Duty universe. Players will be able to utilize vehicles to get around, as well as using a fast travel system to get from one point to the next. Although the scope of how many linear missions there will be remains to be seen, sources confirmed that some linear missions will be integrated into the game."

EXCLUSIVE - Call of Duty to Embrace Open World Campaigns in Black Ops Gulf War and Beyond - Insider Gaming (insider-gaming.com)

konnichiwa said:

I remember 2016ish when they announced games day one on PC. Overall the vibe was great, games will sell more and it will lead to better and more games.

But sadly it didn't, having Gears, Sea of thieves or Halo on PC did not really increase the quality or frequency of games.... It is literally February and still no First party Release...

Also they can't handle their studios, so many seem to be just working on projects while not really releasing them or taking a long time because well they can...

Example in 2018 they announced on stage...

We bought Playground studios and they are working on a new game 'Fable still not released'

Undead labs!! 'Still not released State of Decay 3'

Ninja Theory 'Still not released Hellblade II'

Compulsion Games; 'Still not released their next game'

The initiative 'Still not released Perfect Dark'.

Anyway now we will see less reason to make games for the Xbox ecosystem and it will cost money,

I think you are not considering 2 big factors. A. Game development takes longer than ever B. Covid

Hellblade 2 would have released already, but UK covid guidelines were very strict. With how mocap heavy the game is, there was no way they could finish certain aspects of the game while this was going on.  Timing of development for these titles mixed in with covid didn't do these studios any favors.